elsmandino

Which model Raspberry Pi for home automation

Mon May 09, 2016 9:03 am

Hi,

I am thinking of putting together a home automation/security project, using a Pi as a central hub, connected to an arduino in each room in my house.

Which model of Pi should I use? Should it be the most powerful one available?

The reason I ask is that I have a Pi2(Mod B) connected to my living room TV and use two Pi1(Mod B)'s for my kitchen and bedroom TVs.

I am going to buy a Pi3(Mod B) anyway but was wondering whether this would be best used for my automation project or whether I should swap if for one connected to one of the TVs.

Thanks

topguy

Re: Which model Raspberry Pi for home automation

Mon May 09, 2016 9:13 am

Home automation doesn't seem like the most CPU intensive task to me. I think you will enjoy the extra muscle of the Pi3 more using it on your TV.

elsmandino

Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks for that - I shall indeed, therefore, use the Pi3 for my main TV.

Do you think I should then use the Pi2 in my bedroom (the second most used TV) and then use the Pi1 for the home automation?

The Pi1 is quite limited, but I assume that it is more than capable for home automation.

Kagetaze

Tue May 10, 2016 8:07 am

I suppose it really depends on what this RPi's function is and what you're hoping to achieve.

If your end goal is to save on power and money, perhaps the Pi Zero can provide a good solution? I've slowly started transitioning to these myself as they are ridiculously small and cheap, combined with a small LAN board connected via GPIO I'm, able to give them internet connection as well.

MrBane

Wed May 11, 2016 12:19 pm

I would say the Model A would do fine as the central hub if you want just a normal home automation system. However, if your looking into making a "Smart House" you may want something a bit more powerful like the Pi 2 B to be making decisions.

For now I would say just stick with the Model A and if you find its being weighed down after you have been adding things for awhile. Just upgrade.

I also like the idea of using maybe 3 Pi Zero's in a cluster environment for the central hub. Then you can upgrade as needed on the cheap by buying another Pi Zero and adding it to the cluster.

elsmandino

Thu May 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks you both for that - the Pi Zero does seem to be the perfect way to go (especially if you can keep clustering them together) - is a shame that they seem to out of stock everywhere at the moment.

For the time being, I will stick with a Pi1(Mod B) and see how I get on with it.

I do have a few further questions about getting started with home automation but I shall start a new thread so as to not cloud this thread.

Thanks very much!

RaTTuS

Thu May 12, 2016 12:29 pm

elsmandino wrote:Thanks you both for that - the Pi Zero does seem to be the perfect way to go (especially if you can keep clustering them together) - is a shame that they seem to out of stock everywhere at the moment.

For the time being, I will stick with a Pi1(Mod B) and see how I get on with it.

I do have a few further questions about getting started with home automation but I shall start a new thread so as to not cloud this thread.

Thanks very much!
https://twitter.com/ThePiHut/status/730689113809166336
may help
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Action_Jax

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:44 pm

i am trying to do a similar project and i am using a RPi 2 model B; however, I am using a Unipi expansion board do anyone have any in-site on how to operate a RPi Unipi?

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm using RPi 2Bs for my latest automation projects, the stuff I'm doing would run on a B+, but they're unavailable from most resellers and more expensive than a 2B from the places they are available.

My latest 2B (ordered on Saturday from CPC with a 2.5A power supply) for a total cost of £36 (inc VAT) and arrived on my doorstep at 14:00 this afternoon. I had it booted and running by 14:20.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”