Rayjunx

Control big stepping motors with Raspberry

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:43 pm

Hello,

I plan to control 4 stepper motors with at least the power of a NEMA 17 or bigger I guess with my little Raspberry pi.
The vehicle/robot going to be really big +50kg so I need strong motors for the wheels and the steering.

The "mini" build kits for stepping motors and raspberry Pi are all have very low power limits. And I don't have that
much experience with stepper motors.

Somebody knows how I can handle this most easily? Some shields, build kits, whatever which I can connect to my Raspy able to supply that kind of big stepping motors?

Thank you already a lot for any feedback,

Best Regards
Markus

BMS Doug

Re: Control big stepping motors with Raspberry

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:29 pm

I'd choose an appropriate stepper motor driver for the stepper motor you wish to use (for NEMA 17's Pololu recommend this one) and then wire it to the appropriate GPIO pins.

If you really need a Pre-built solution you could look at the zeroPi but you would need to select the appropriate driver modules.

The Kickstarter has shipped, I'm not sure where you would buy the finished item (but you can't have mine).

I've sent the ZeroPi team a message via Kickstarter asking them to respond to this thread with an online shop link.

It should be noted that the ZeroPi board contains 4 slots to plug in stepper motor drivers, (such as the Pololu one I linked above) and just makes it easier to control the stepper motors (by adding a dedicated microcontroller to control the stepper motor drivers) this will make the wiring easier but the control program might be harder to write.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Rayjunx

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Thank you a lot,
that sounds very interesting. Im just not sure if this power levels are enough, what if I need more?
Tomorrow I meet some friends, maybe they know a bit more about of this things.
Best Regards
Rayjunx

flyswatter12

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 am

You can get stepper motor drivers going up to at least NEMA 34 motor sizes.

I use NEMA 34 on my milling machine CNC conversion. The drivers I'm using for it are MA860 drivers like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3313930947 ... ps&lpid=82

Figure out the motors you need, select an appropriate stepper motor driver, and then get to programming on it.

For the NEMA 23 sized motors which are so common and popular, there's a decent inexpensive driver called the MA542. Here's the datasheet.... http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/M542d.pdf

First decide on the motor you need, then pick the driver to match the current and voltage your motor needs. Most of the drivers can be turned down or current-limited so they work with smaller motors too.

tlfong01

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Rayjunx wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:43 pm
I plan to control 4 stepper motors with at least the power of a NEMA 17 or bigger I guess with my little Raspberry pi.
The vehicle/robot going to be really big +50kg so I need strong motors for the wheels and the steering.

57BYG geared stepping motor

Ah, 50kg+ is really big. Some two years ago I bought a couple of big stepping motors from TaoBao, also to play with big robots. The good thing with these motors is that you can change the gear box, to get bigger power, but lower speed.

They are 57BYG, 1.8 degrees, 3A. I guess it is similar to the following.

57BYG Stepper Motor
https://www.robotshop.com/en/57byg-stepper-motor.html
Attachments
PJvplpu[1].jpg
PJvplpu[1].jpg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
I am an electronics and smart home hobbyist.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”