WPsites

Webcam and motion performance

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 pm

I'm using the new Debian image If I plug in just a USB webcam and "luvcview -s 160x120" (that's the only resolution that works) I get around 2 fps. Then when I start up motion with it's configuration set not to store an image or video file, just to output a message to say motion detected the delay is unreal. Probably around 3-4 seconds for motion to be detected.

I want to take photos of animals with this but at that rate I'm only going to catch a picture of a snail.

Any idea why the webcam and motion are so slow? How is motion performing for everyone else?

I might try the Arch image as a last ditched attempt but I'd prefer not to have to start fresh really.

ashbash

Re: Webcam and motion performance

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm

WPsites wrote:I'm using the new Debian image If I plug in just a USB webcam and "luvcview -s 160x120" (that's the only resolution that works) I get around 2 fps. Then when I start up motion with it's configuration set not to store an image or video file, just to output a message to say motion detected the delay is unreal. Probably around 3-4 seconds for motion to be detected...
Why are u using luv and motion?

Ive noticed a lot rides on the camera and its support in the linux kernel dist. HOwever you should still get more than 2fps.

Try motion on its own with your camera set-up accordingly in the conf (i.e. correct resolution and suitable fps ~15->20).

Cheers
Ash

WPsites

Re: Webcam and motion performance

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:22 am

I just used luvcview as a quick way to see what fps the camera was managing but it's motion that I actually want to use in my project and it's that what takes 3-4 seconds to notice any movement. Then looking at luvcview I could see it's damn slow at 2fps.

I'm going to head to a maker night next this week and hopefully try a few more cameras out.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”