exartemarte

Re: Arduino/Pi Robot

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:43 am

shanester wrote:I'm also looking to build a R-Pi / Arduino robot. [...] Anyone have this up and running already?
Not yet, but I'm currently struggling with a Pi/Arduino combo using SPI which, if I get it doing what I want, should suit all of my robotics projects even though it would be a bit OTT for some of them. Others have played with this, but I haven't found any complete description online of full, two-way, general purpose communication.

I'll post here if/when I make the breakthrough ...

arcanon

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:32 pm

I am slowly getting towards SLAM. Have the stereo cam (although you can use mono)

http://subgroup-ash.blogspot.de/2013/12 ... islam.html

It kind of makes sense to use ROS though... because then you get path finding and a bunch of other things at the same time. Then you probably can use PTAM "out of the box"

vinnieb

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:49 pm

Wondered if the SLAM / PTAM stuff had any success?

My pi cam turned up today, and id like to use it for a nice integrates position tracker.

Looks like people have got opencv working with this (as its not usb device some extra coding needed), but equally looks like theres alot of ROS activity (which has got a PTAM module i think?)

paresh471

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 am

I am planning to build a Remote Control car that will be using a Pi brain with Arduino Mega as a sensor board attached to the Pi via USB.

I was wondering if any of you were able to get SLAM or PTAM working. I suppose the bigger question ought to be how did you get ROS working, I am having the best time just bashing my head against the wall trying to get ROS groovy working on Rasbian Weezy.

Any advice on how to:

1. Get ROS groovy or Hydro working on Rasp Weezy?

2. Where to find images of already working installs?

3. How to get SLAM working or what packages need to be used?

arcanon

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 am

I have ScaviSlam running on a server and the PI sends streams to that. Its all rather slow because I only have debug mode. That is where my time ran out.... The 3D reconstruction provided from my system was fairly course (the steps between different levels of depth was quite high). I don't know if I need to play parameters or better calibrate.

ROS and PTAM I do not have running because thats best to do on linux. I don't know if the PI is powerful enough to run complete algorithms needed for a full fledged robot. It could do the slam, but then also decision making and more would be difficult. It would also be a lot of effort to get all the software running, where as a server running windows or linux has more support.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”