ProcessManager

Overall equipment efficiency monitoring

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Completely new to Raspberry PI, also do not have any hardware yet but investigating it as an cost effective option for our manufacturing factory.

Background:
Machines manufacture pharmaceutical tablets/capsules. Efficiency is measured in terms of machine output vs time. The time component includes machine stop time/cleaning time/break downs etc.

Project:
When the machine is stopped the time needs to be recorded. When machine is started up again, a reason for stopping must be given before start up is allowed. In short, actual machine run time, cleaning time, breakdowns etc. will be recorded.

I assume this will be possible from what I`ve read on the forum. What hardware do I need to achieve the desired outcome and if possible, point me to a similar project done previously and described on the forums.

BMS Doug

Re: Overall equipment efficiency monitoring

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:02 pm

I would suggest adding a pair of relays into the line power supply after the normal start / stop sequence.

The pi will monitor the status of the run circuit and even when the restart command is issued will not allow a run until an explanation is given (this could be via a set of pushbuttons which give choices of cause, a swipecard (RFID) or by keyboard or numberpad entry.

A RTC (real-time clock) would be a recommended addition, so that if the pi's power fails the correct time is recorded.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jsobota

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:20 am

I suppose there is some PLC controlling each machine. You might be able to read its status via some communication line (Modbus TCP, RS-485, S7 communication, ...). Have a look at REX Control System for Raspberry Pi - not only will you monitor the machine but also you will be able to report the machine status to company MySQL database server.

mhykhielle

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Sir. Im new to rasp pi and im planning on working on a project about production monitoring. Can I ask yout help regarding this matter. It would be great. Thanks

scotty101

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm

mhykhielle wrote:
Hi Sir. Im new to rasp pi and im planning on working on a project about production monitoring. Can I ask yout help regarding this matter. It would be great. Thanks
In order to get help, you need to ask clear and concise questions. Production Monitoring is too broad a topic to ask for help on.

Everyone on here is giving up their time to help others so if your project is an industrial/commercial project, you may be better off considering a paid consultant.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

jsobota

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm

scotty101 wrote:
mhykhielle wrote:
In order to get help, you need to ask clear and concise questions. Production Monitoring is too broad a topic to ask for help on.

Everyone on here is giving up their time to help others so if your project is an industrial/commercial project, you may be better off considering a paid consultant.
Hi,
I was just about to recommend the same. Be as clear and concise as possible, provide links to documentation, photos, background information, etc. What machines are you planning to monitor, what PLCs are installed, what data you are planning to collect, etc. If you cannot or do not want to provide such information, paid consultancy service is the right way to go.

Reply or PM me if you are interested.

Jaroslav

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:54 am

PM is not supported on this forum for legal reasons.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”