jon wise

Location within a garden

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:26 pm

To implement IoT in a gardening context it would be useful to be able to locate an activity (such as planting seeds) accurate to within a metre. As basic GPS is not accurate enough, is there a way of finding position (electronically) relative to some fixed reference points around the garden?
Last edited by jon wise on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMightySpud

Re: Location within a garden

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi,

I'm really new to the more advanced uses of the Pi, so this might be completely wrong, but I did a quick search and found this to be quite interesting.

http://davstott.me.uk/index.php/2013/06 ... -infrared/

In my head if you enclosed the bed with walls just high enough to reflect the signal, and use 2 emitters, one for across the bed, and one for along the bed, you'd be able to retrieve x and z distances and get a really accurate measurement and then just write those values out to a log etc.

Sorry if I'm completely wrong or misunderstood what you meant :)

TheMightySpud

stevend

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:30 pm

You could use "differential GPS" which might well give the accuracy you want - a quick search will give you plenty of explanations.

For your application, I envisage two cheap GPS receivers - one at a known fixed point in your garden, and one which you move around. Your position relative to the fixed point can then be calculated as the difference between the two positions, potentially with an accuracy approaching 100mm. A Pi should be able to handle the calculations.

Not sure how consistent the GPS readings will be from low-cost units; you might need to experiment with some averaging.

jon wise

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:34 am

Has anyone tried using a Sense Hat to track location? If I always put my wheelbarrow away in the same place, and so begin my travels at a known location, how long would it be before the tracking was more than a metre out? Is it worth trying?

RaTTuS

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:59 am

jon wise wrote:... (such as planting seeds) accurate to within a metre. ...
you'll need to be much more accurate that that TBH IMO
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jon wise

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 pm

The objective would meet my needs, the question is about possible solutions.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”