rbrown3rd

Re: Photovoltaic/solar systems monitoring

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:09 pm

That sounds great. Looking forward to your progress. I have a pi wating to be pressed into service.

Tafkas

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:29 pm

I put a first version live at http://solarpi.tafkas.net

I will do a little write-up about everything in the near future.

rbrown3rd

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:58 pm

That looks quite nice.

Saamir

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm developing a board that plugs into the RPi, and has RJ-45 connectors to plug directly into Outback power equipment.

To anyone creating solar data gathering/displaying software, I would like to write a plug-in software module so that my board will work with your software.

Any interest, reply here.

CharlesGodwin

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Doesn't Outback's new APX Port http://www.outbackpower.com/outback-pro ... ory_id=440 do this? It's not free but it seems to cover all the bases.

Saamir

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:10 pm

It nearly does. I actually found out about the AXS after I started this project, but I decided to finish the project anyway.

There are a couple of differences:
  • Mine has full control over the power equipment (whatever can be set by a Mate), where the AXS offers a limited set of parameters you can set.
  • And mine has 4 RJ-45 ports so if you have 4 or fewer pieces of equipment, you don't need a ($150) Hub.
With this board and a RPi, you have a complete monitoring/control solution on the internet, including whatever software you can run on the Pi.

CharlesGodwin

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:15 pm

I'll mention your project to my brother.

N3tguru

Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:31 pm

I just found out that SunPower rebadged Xantrex inverters so my scrips in previous pages in this thread should work with those inverters as well.

Look up the Xantrex GT series and if your SunPower inverter looks like it the scripts should work.

Ive been logging to PVOutput for over a year now with no major issues.

bettinabergoo

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:27 am

Hi Anwmalos,

I work for an NGO that installs solar panels and trains women to be solar engineers. Right now the systems we deploy are 40Wp DC solar home systems and 300Wp AC systems. We do not have any way of metering/monitoring the systems. I am looking for a low cost way for us to monitor the systems' generation/usage, preferably remotely. It seems like using the raspberry pi is one option, along with the software you are developing. Is this something you think could work for us? Please email me at [email protected]. I appreciate any assistance!

Bettina

BaronV

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:47 am

Hey guys! First post!

I just ordered my pi and it should be arriving in a few days. I have a small 330w PV system driven by a Morningstar TriStar MPPT controller.

It uses rs232 and modbus to send live and logged data on charging and battery status. I'd really love to be able to view it remotely from my PC as well as graph my PV output and usage so that I can monitor and plan improvements. Alternativly if the data is uploaded to a website that would crunch the numbers n display it in a nice way that would be great too.

Here's hoping this project can fill my needs.

I'm not familiar with the pi and modbus but have basic c++ programming knowledge and would love to help if I can.

fllniks

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:50 pm

jets wrote:I am willing to try anything, so far nothing has worked with my MPP Solar PCM-6048 Solar Charge Controller, the interface is RS232 :( Apparently it uses "Helios Inverter Protocol" and protocol specs also mention J-BUS, which again maybe is pretty much same as MODBUS..

All help would be highly appreciated.
@jets were you finally able to make your mpp solar controller talk to Pi?

conroydp

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Jets,

I have a similar inverter and have been trying to extract data via USB rather than using the WatchPower software.

Have you perhaps had any success?

Regards
Conroy

rbrown3rd

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:27 pm

I have a Pi and a 4.4 kW Outback system. I'm willing to test or experiment. My present online data is at http://bbbrown.mysolarlog.com

RicoF

Wed May 18, 2016 7:08 am

Hi,

I know your post is 5 years old but I am looking for something similar.... how can I contact you?

Northland

Sat May 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Anyone have the code to request data from a mpp product and read the response?

classic

Sun May 29, 2016 2:50 pm

I thought this may help someone with this project in case it hasn't been seen.
https://hackaday.io/project/7624-outbac ... ngineering

Seylione

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi everybody,

Off grid at over 5000' up the southern french Alps I have 1kwp (soon 2 kWp) and 30kWh batts managed by OutbackPower FP1-34 (charger Flexmax 80, inverter-charger GVFX3024, Battery manager FNDC, Hub and Mate3. Energy managing and system setting are OK.

As I am away in winter, I need a good monitoring. So I have Mate3 > cat 5 cable > router > raspi3 > router-modem-3G > Internet > lsdx.eu/GPV_ZSDX. As I want to spare power and limit risks of hacking, elements in bold are on 5 minutes an hour to read Mate3 and send data to my web page (python script). For results click on a date previous to Oct 10th 2016 as Mate3 does not reeconnect when I power the router on.

Outback is aware of the problem but offes no solution.
USB port on Mate3 not recognized by Raspberry PI.
Will try to have the Raspi on all time and light the router-modem up once a day for transmission;
Will try AXS port, but I have no idea of the way to read data from it.

Any tip/reference on these two last points?
Thanks

Seylione

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Hi anyone,
It seems my post is so specific that no one can or will answer. :-(
To go a little further, I bought (Oh my $$!) an AXS port from Outback Power, and hope it will behave!
It comes pretty bare with no tip of what to ask from it to get some data (not too much please)
Any one has some experience?

On Mate3 I would ask urlopen('http://192.168.0.64/Dev_status.cgi?&Port=0') that gives me a nice json file
but on AXS?

Will have a go at it in 10 days when in my "chalet" south of France.
Will report if anyone interested
Thanks and bye

tellmewhatyouneed

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm

anwmalos wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:03 pm
Hello everyone,

For the past year or so I've been developing a tool to monitor solar panel installations. Until now this was a personal and not published project. Now it's in a good enough state to open up a little.

The project started with different embedded linux systems, and I was expecting raspi for a long time in order to make it work there - which I did. The result is a very inexpensive way to monitor a solar installation.

What I am looking for is contributors and "volunteers" in general to help me out in this project which still has a long way to go.

Now on to the technical stuff:
The project has 2 applications, a c++/linux (posix?) probing application and a LAMP server application that handles all the actual data processing and interfacing with the user. Right now the LAMP server runs on http://www.solarspy.net and is already online for some "friends and family" installations, some with rpi probes, and some not. It provides graphing and full installation history. The idea is to also add email/SMS reports and alerts in case of an error.

The probing application is designed in order to be able to easily add new inverter brands/protocols, data output interfaces (mysql/oracle/xml/json etc), physical interfaces (rs232, rs422, rs485, ethernet, bluetooth etc) and be configuration free, ie the application needs absolutely no configuration from the user, it just starts and knows what to do by itself. Right now the application supports all serial interfaces, 2 inverter brands (fronius, sustainable energy technologies) and mysql data output (xml on the way)

Where do you come in?
I need people with a raspi and a solar installation which they want to monitor. This way I will be able to test my software in more installations, get feedback, as well as have access to more inverter brands to continue developing. No development experience required, only a raspi. Access to the LAMP server will be free of charge.

Of course developers are more than welcome. I will be happy to find someone to collaborate in this, I would like to see "homemade" rs485/422 that connect directly on the raspi UART (right now it works on USB2serial only), help on the development of the LAMP app, the probing app, translations to more languages etc. I would also like to incorporate more sensors (hello hardware hackers) such as pyranometers, weather stations etc.

Disclaimer: I plan to release this project on a dual license. Everything is and will be free. However I will retain the copyright on the probing application and dual license it upon formal release on some open source license as well as a proprietary license. Everything else in this project other than the probing application will be fully open.

If any one is interested and has some free time to help out, I am available for details
i keen about this project, and i would to take part as volunteer.
i have a complete off grid system to take care of, using SMA devices eg SMA Sunny Island, Sunny Tripower, Sunny Sensorbox.
i would like to know further how to make this thing real, and what kind of hardware that i should have.
Last edited by tellmewhatyouneed on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbrown3rd

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 pm

I am interested in the project. I have a 4.4 KW Outback system and a Raspberry Pi. You can email me at (bob at bbbrown dot com). You can view info about my system at http://bbbrown.mysolarlog.com or http://www.bbbrown.com .

GuBo

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi, I'm also out interested. Having 9.84kwp with SMA Home Manager 2.0

calou033

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi,

I'm also looking for a monitoring system of solar inverters base on Raspberry Pi3.
Could you let me have your sofware ?

Best regards
Pascal

Seylione

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Calou33!

I am completely offgrid (Power and Phone)n under OutbackPower FP1-34 (inverter-charger, Charge controler, Battery manager, and MATE3 settings and data manager.

My monitoring system works with Raspberrypi3 (Raspi for short) with the following layout:
[b]Mate3 -> cat5 cable -> Router-modem3G -> cable -> Raspi -> same cable -> same router -> 3G dongle -> Inyternet -> lsfx.eu/GPV_DAT[/b]
Router and Raspi are lit up for 10 minutes every hour (that will change with Raspi on all time and lauchnin the script every hour)
A python script reads Mate3, ('http://192.168.0.64/Dev_status.cgi?&Port=0') and sends it to lsdx.eu

There, a rather complex (for me) script (html, php, javascript) displays it. Look at lsdx.eu/GPV_ZSDX for the headers. Does not work as of now as my FM80 Charge controller is on strike ans as the Ethernet cable out of Mate3 does not receive data from Mate3 half of the time

FM80 should be fixed today and for that Ethernet cable, we shall install a contraptrion with a piface relay sitting on Raspi to reboot Mate3 while router on.

I am not interested to show more variables, maybe some time Gen_kWh and kW/m² but thats enough to make sure things work well

More if you want to adapt that to your own system.

but some other people have worked on that: look at jeperez.com/

Bye

calou033

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi Seylione
Thank's for your answer.
First I'm french so we could continue in French offline sometime.
My install is a WKS 3VA from wattuneed.com connected directly to my Pi3 via USB. While this down I'm now looking to install WatchPower on my Pi3 to be able to drive my WKS and get data from it.
Next I will try to load Domoticz with the data I got.

I seen that François wrote some tips about WatchManager but it won't run on my Pi3 something to go with java error.
Could you let me know what driver did you install to read data from your FM80 charger.
Thank's
Pascal

Seylione

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Salut calou33

For me, data is read directly from the cat5 cable outgoing from Mate3 ('http://192.168.0.64/Dev_status.cgi?&Port=0') in a python script
Don't know WKS and its possibilities. wattuneed.com should be able to give you some info. On the drawing p.5 of the french manual there seems to be some sort of com (USB ). The communication CD should give details about which files to read..

Voilà pour l'instant!
Lionel

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”