mikey32094

Modern version of "Construx" or "Erector Set" ?

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 am

Hey all,

Is there a modern version of "Construx" or "Erector Set" that anyone would recommend? It would be so cool if instead of being limited to buying a pre-made chassis for my bots, I could just snap together any design I wanted, then take it apart and try something new every couple weeks when I felt like it.

I feel these would be better for me than welding and all the other crazy advanced stuff you guys do, because I just don't have the skill right now.

I'm open to the two aforementioned products, but I remember construx being incredibly flimsy back in the day, so I'd like to know if there's a product you trust more with the safety of your precious PI's. I noticed something called "MakeBlock" which seems cute, but seems a bit expensive and I have no idea how good/bad it is.

My intended usage is probably to build a bunch of little autonomous cars, and maybe spider/pod type thingies ... maybe even a two legged walking bot if I ever got that advanced.

Any leads?

mikerr

Re: Modern version of "Construx" or "Erector Set" ?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:24 am

K'nex is probably what you're looking for,
or lego technic.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

B.Goode

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 am

There is also Vex Robotics - http://www.vexrobotics.com/

(This has a very 'Education' bias and comes with lots of 'infrastructure' in the form of competitions etc.)

rosbif

Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:56 am

Search for MakerBeam or OpenBeam.
They're both small aluminium extrusions with various bolt and bracket components - really strong and very versatile - look at http://blog.makerbeam.eu/?cat=3 for some projects built with this stuff

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”