crjens

Re: PiPowerMeter: Home energy monitoring

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi Luc,

Yes, boards are available. The control board runs US $75 and each 16 channel sensor board is $25. The boards come fully tested and ready to go. You can stack up to 8 sensor boards on each control board. You will need to supply your own Raspberry Pi and current sensors.

Please send me mail at [email protected] if you are interested and I'll send payment details.

Thanks,
Craig

simpleturnings

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:01 am

I saw that you are using a CT sensor with this set up. I am trying to figure out how to use a CT sensor to sense the current draw and use that as a trigger to operate a servo motor. I am running into a problem with how to read the CT sensor into the Pi as an on off type of signal. Do you have any suggestions?

crjens

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:46 pm

In order to read the output of a CT sensor you need an A/D converter. The Pi only has digital inputs so you'll need to look into an appropriate add-on board. There are several available, just search for "raspberry pi a/d converter"

renegate

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Really interested for this project too, just can't send pm without posting something i quess.

hkhodeir

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:02 am

Hello Craig,
I have a 3 phase 220V system at my home in cairo egypt. I am interested to test your system at my home I don't know if you still have stock from your boards?
You really have a great solution

Thanks

crjens

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:36 am

There's been a fair bit of interest so I had a new batch of boards made up and I have plenty in stock. I've been charging US $75.00 for the control board and $25 of each 16 channel input board plus shipping. The boards come fully assembled and tested. You'll need to supply your own Raspberry Pi (A+, B+ or Pi2) and current sensors. Email me directly (crjens at hotmail.com) if you are interested in purchasing.

The latest boards have three voltage input channels so they work on single phase, split phase or three phase systems. The control board has a universal power supply that works on 120-240V, 50-60Hz input.

Ollemo

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34 am

Hi Craig,
while gathering informations for my next project, I stumbled over your PiPowerMeter two times on two different pages. Here and on openenergymonitor.org. It seems, that your PiPowerMeter fits perfectly to my needs :)
I really like your idea. It's simple and very flexible!
However, I will make my own PCB. Including the CS5463, the multiplexers and the current and voltage transformers. The system should be mounted directly in the breaker box, so I dont need these 3.5 mm jacks. My plan is to use transformers, which are directly mounted on the PCB.
So here are my questions:
- what kind of configurations are possible with your SW? Means how do I tell the system, what kind of transformer I use (e.g. 1000:1) and what kind of shunt resistor (for the current measurement)? I took a look at your schematics on GitHub. As far as I've seen, youre using 5 ohm resistors. That would be quit to low for my 1000:1 transformer to get full scale at e.g. 20 A.
- Similar question for the voltage measurement. I was planning to use a 10:1 transformer. On the secondary side, the voltage will be divided by resistors to fit the full scale input of the CS5463. Is it possible to configure the system via the web interface or somehow else, to fit these input configuration?

A lot to read. Hope you find the time to answer my questions...
Greetings from Germany,
Florian

crjens

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:42 am

The software includes scale factors for both the voltage and current channels so you can use any combination of transformer and/or shunt resistor that gets you to appropriate input levels for the cs5463 and then adjust the scale factors to compensate. The easiest way to do this is to measure a known voltage/current and then manually adjust the scale factors until the values in the software match the known inputs. The scale factors are exposed in the configuration page so they are easy to adjust.

jfs

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm kind of late to the party, was wondering if you still had any boards available. Will pm you when I see this posting go through.
crjens wrote:@cumak - boards are available for $75 for the control board and $25 for each 16 channel input board. You can stack up to 8 input boards on a single control board. The boards are fully soldered, tested and ready to go. You'll need to supply your own Raspberry Pi and current sensors. IM me if you are instested.

Thanks,
Craig

JDriggers

Fri May 27, 2016 4:50 am

Hey - stunning project!! Quick question, I'm having trouble sourcing the TV16E - any assistance would be appreciated!

crjens

Mon May 30, 2016 2:22 am

These are pin compatible with the TV16's. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-Volta ... Sw~bFWG2OL

andrew87me

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi crjens!

Firstly I want to compliment you for your amazing work.
Secondly i'm struggling to understand how the 4052D and the 4067D chips can work with AC power signals despite it's single supply.

That is: you connected the VEE pin of 4052D (voltage multiplexer) to ground and also in the current multiplexer there is no sign of negative voltage.

Maybe the CS5463 does not need of the negative half-wave, or the multiplexers let a lower voltage than GND-VEE to pass through?

Thank you in advance!

crjens

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:28 pm

My original plan was to add a small dc bias to the inputs but in my prototyping I found that the mux's do allow small negative voltages to pass through. The CS5463 allows a max input of 250 mV pp on the voltage and current inputs which seem to pass through with no issues.

andrew87me

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:41 pm

crjens wrote:My original plan was to add a small dc bias to the inputs but in my prototyping I found that the mux's do allow small negative voltages to pass through. The CS5463 allows a max input of 250 mV pp on the voltage and current inputs which seem to pass through with no issues.
Great! It's a very clever solution, thank you very much! :D

MichaelCation

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Awesome project! Have you considered modifying the power supply so that it can also handle voltages used in commercial buildings (277/480 volts in the US)? Are you still taking orders for the boards? I'l love to purchase a control board and an input board if you are. Thank you very much for sharing your great work!!!

crjens

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:10 pm

The power supply works on 120V or 240V, 50Hz or 60Hz. Anything above 240V would probably require an external power supply for safety reasons but if you are aware of a device that meets those specs, I'd love to hear about it.

I have boards available. Please email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the details.

sorinbidian

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi, I try to test the board. Column Watts have negative value and If a try to view data, page says no data found.
Can you help me?

crjens

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Did you try reversing the current probe? Normally, the side of the probe with the writing on it should point toward the source. Please send any additional questions to [email protected]

jinyang

Wed May 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi Craig:

Wonderful Project!!!!! Just what I was looking for and a bag of chips :).
Nice that it works with 220V and can do both single and 3 Phase.
Do you still have any boards? Will they work with Pi3?
Thinking of using it for a lot of things, one being a competition among departments to save energy!!!

Thanks again for this GIFT to Humanity!!!

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”