Rubus idaeus
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Maybe you could use this for powering the boat. http://starmatech.com/magnapc-500-saltw ... ttery.html

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Or powering a RPi at least ;)

But the question is how long do they last.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Rubus idaeus
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 pm

If the raspberry used maximum of 700mAh . the salt water cell is empty in about 71 hours without refueling.

sorry my english is poor have little trouble with dyslexia. :cry:

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:16 pm

There's an awful lot of seawter in the atlantic. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

WexfordCoast
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:48 pm

colinsauze wrote:
The last team to try the Microtransat (ENSTA-Bretagne from Brest in France) just used a Spot which was only transmitting internmittently to begin with and then stopped all together after a couple of days. Their boat might still be sailing the correct course, but they now have no idea where it is! Just shows how important a good tracking system is. Might be worth having two or three different systems if you can, perhaps GSM near the shore, Iridium at sea and some kind of radio beacon based system too.
Hi Guys.
First Post, and I haven't a clue what this Forum is even for - however, re the post quoted above;
Me & a friend of mine in the Irish Coast Guard think we may have located the above mentioned Boat??
It was discovered yesterday 19/08/12, washed up on the beach about 2miles West of 'Kilmore Quay', Co.Wexford, Ireland. It has taken a lot of research on the web to try and figure out what it was, and who it belongs to? It has a "ENSTA Bretagne" Sticker on it, lots of solar panels, and is very same as a Radio controlled Yacht? Also has a sail which is ripped to shreds (Brand "SAILSetc") and a "LCJ Capteurs" wind meter?
Could this be their missing boat? Who should be contacted about it?
We'd also be curious to know where and when it was launched?
The Irish Coast Guard is currently trying to investigate its origin...
Thanks.

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:54 am

As they say it's an ill wind and all that. ;)

There's going to be at least one happy team out there.

Any chance of a photograph of the said boat. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

colinsauze
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Guys.
First Post, and I haven't a clue what this Forum is even for - however, re the post quoted above;
Me & a friend of mine in the Irish Coast Guard think we may have located the above mentioned Boat??
It was discovered yesterday 19/08/12, washed up on the beach about 2miles West of 'Kilmore Quay', Co.Wexford, Ireland. It has taken a lot of research on the web to try and figure out what it was, and who it belongs to? It has a "ENSTA Bretagne" Sticker on it, lots of solar panels, and is very same as a Radio controlled Yacht? Also has a sail which is ripped to shreds (Brand "SAILSetc") and a "LCJ Capteurs" wind meter?
Could this be their missing boat? Who should be contacted about it?
We'd also be curious to know where and when it was launched?
The Irish Coast Guard is currently trying to investigate its origin...
Thanks.
That definitely matches the description of the lost ENSTA Bretagne boat (http://www.microtransat.org/2012_ensta- ... e_boat.php). I presume it was you who emailed the Microtransat enquries address earlier? If so i've replied with the contact details for the team who launched the boat, i'm sure they'll be happy to know it turned up, although perhaps a bit disappointed it was over 300 miles off course.

I too would be interested in seeing photos of it.

WexfordCoast
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Colin,

Yes that was me - info passed on... thanks.

My guess is it was run over by a ship - the Windmeter & Strobe were hanging on by the wires & one of the rudders is sheared off completely. The sail is shredded beyond repair and the mast broken.
Interesting project! ;)
Attachments
f2.jpg
f2.jpg (15.73 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
f1.jpg
f1.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 3694 times

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:59 am

If there is a salutary lesson to be learned from this it is make sure anything that does attempt this crossing is clearly marked with an if found contact address. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

nabberuk
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am
Contact: Website

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:41 pm

AndrewBuchinger wrote:
nabberuk wrote:I did look into putting solar cells onto the sail but bendable cells aren't really available.
Not true. Thanks to the research of a New Hampshire company (that is now bankrupt) there are a ton off flexible solar alternatives.

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/rollable- ... oducts.php
That would be far to heavy to fit onto a sail. I still don't think they could live with the stresses of a sail.
the autonomous sailing boat: www.autonboat.com

nabberuk
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am
Contact: Website

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 pm

WexfordCoast wrote:Hi Colin,

Yes that was me - info passed on... thanks.

My guess is it was run over by a ship - the Windmeter & Strobe were hanging on by the wires & one of the rudders is sheared off completely. The sail is shredded beyond repair and the mast broken.
Interesting project! ;)

ah thats great news that its been found! although it does make me worry about trying to avoid ships :?
the autonomous sailing boat: www.autonboat.com

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Did it have a radar reflector? Just curiosity :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

User avatar
Mortimer
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 pm

I wouldn't have though a craft that small could carry a reflector big enough to be noticeable that close to the water. Most ships would be almost looking down on the thing.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

nabberuk
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am
Contact: Website

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Jim JKla wrote:Did it have a radar reflector? Just curiosity :D
not that im aware off.
the autonomous sailing boat: www.autonboat.com

tech_monkey
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:40 pm

You can get active radar reflectors.
http://www.sea-me.co.uk/
http://www.echomax.co.uk/Echomax_Products.htm
Mind you they are all rather large. But you could possibly use one as part of the mast rather than on top of the mast.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=322902
http://www.casatech.eu

nabberuk
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am
Contact: Website

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I don't think a radar reflector will be feasible due to both power and money constraints. Auton will be small enough that another vessel wouldn't even know if it ran over it.

Of course im still looking at any alternatives.

thanks
the autonomous sailing boat: www.autonboat.com

tech_monkey
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm

I did see a semi-passive one once, that we where asked to test. It was designed for liferafts. It was about the length of a Pringles can but about half the diameter.
From what I remember it did have a small power supply but would only go active when it detected certain radar frequencies. after we spent 5 weeks testing it we never saw it again. So don't know what happened to it or the company behind it. It was over 15 years ago.
http://www.casatech.eu

User avatar
Mortimer
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Even something that size is going to be a problem on a small sailing craft. The craft is probably going to be undersailed for its size as it is, without something else mounted high which could cause knock-downs in a storm on its own, without the help of the sails, which presumably won't be tunable once at sea.

The Ensta boat may have been hit by a boat, but I would really expect something that size to have been brushed aside by the bow wave of a large vessel, which should be easily survivable, as long as the boat is water tight and self righting. The most difficult thing is going to make the rigging survive such an event. The damage seen on Ensta was more likely to have come from being dashed on a rocks or a shingle beach.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

rock7
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 am

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 pm

For about double the price you can get an Iridium 9602 (http://www.satphone.co.uk/hardware/irid ... ransceiver), this lets you send a few hundred bytes at a time and arrives as an email at a predesignated account. You can also send an email to the device. As its a two way system you can actually get some confirmation that your message has been transmitted. Iridium has true global coverage, unlike Globalstar network used by Spot.
You'll be interested to know that we're developing a product which is a Raspberry-Pi compatible Iridium 9602-based device. Essentially it's a little PCB (about the same size as the R-Pi), which hosts the Iridium 9602 modem, and a decent patch antenna. It connects by USB (FTDI drivers, so very Linux compatible), and it has some clever power management so that it requires less than 100mA (any standard USB port). It will allow your Raspberry Pi to send short (up to about 300 byte) messages from anywhere on the planet, with a view of the sky. Our service will deliver the message to you by email or HTTP. It's two-way, in case you want to send messages back (although I think this is prohibited for your Autonomous project).

Expecting to have the product available in about a month. Pricing should be in the region of $250/£160 for the add-on board (we'll keep it as affordable as possible, but there are some required parts that we can't avoid).

Monthly rental should be around $13/£8 - only required when actually using it (no minimum contract). Messages cost about $0.07/£0.04 per 50 bytes.

We're looking for people with good ideas for the board, and we'll be supporting the more imaginative projects with free hardware and airtime. We hope to run some kind of competition to find the school that can send the 'most interesting information from the most remote places'.

Anyway - look out for a lot more details from me in the next few weeks.

Ric Searle
--
Rock 7 (home of Yellowbrick Tracking)
http://www.yellowbrick-tracking.com

nabberuk
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am
Contact: Website

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 pm

rock7 wrote:
You'll be interested to know that we're developing a product which is a Raspberry-Pi compatible Iridium 9602-based device. Essentially it's a little PCB (about the same size as the R-Pi), which hosts the Iridium 9602 modem, and a decent patch antenna. It connects by USB (FTDI drivers, so very Linux compatible), and it has some clever power management so that it requires less than 100mA (any standard USB port). It will allow your Raspberry Pi to send short (up to about 300 byte) messages from anywhere on the planet, with a view of the sky. Our service will deliver the message to you by email or HTTP. It's two-way, in case you want to send messages back (although I think this is prohibited for your Autonomous project).

Expecting to have the product available in about a month. Pricing should be in the region of $250/£160 for the add-on board (we'll keep it as affordable as possible, but there are some required parts that we can't avoid).

Monthly rental should be around $13/£8 - only required when actually using it (no minimum contract). Messages cost about $0.07/£0.04 per 50 bytes.

We're looking for people with good ideas for the board, and we'll be supporting the more imaginative projects with free hardware and airtime. We hope to run some kind of competition to find the school that can send the 'most interesting information from the most remote places'.

Anyway - look out for a lot more details from me in the next few weeks.

Ric Searle
--
Rock 7 (home of Yellowbrick Tracking)
http://www.yellowbrick-tracking.com
that sounds really exciting! Both the power and cost requirements are in line with what we were looking for. Is there a website/blog that i can keep up to date with it's progress?

If we turned the power off to it, any idea how long it takes to find a satellite to the point it's ready to send?
the autonomous sailing boat: www.autonboat.com

mistercasti
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:27 am

rock7 wrote:
For about double the price you can get an Iridium 9602 (http://www.satphone.co.uk/hardware/irid ... ransceiver), this lets you send a few hundred bytes at a time and arrives as an email at a predesignated account. You can also send an email to the device. As its a two way system you can actually get some confirmation that your message has been transmitted. Iridium has true global coverage, unlike Globalstar network used by Spot.
You'll be interested to know that we're developing a product which is a Raspberry-Pi compatible Iridium 9602-based device. Essentially it's a little PCB (about the same size as the R-Pi), which hosts the Iridium 9602 modem, and a decent patch antenna. It connects by USB (FTDI drivers, so very Linux compatible), and it has some clever power management so that it requires less than 100mA (any standard USB port). It will allow your Raspberry Pi to send short (up to about 300 byte) messages from anywhere on the planet, with a view of the sky. Our service will deliver the message to you by email or HTTP. It's two-way, in case you want to send messages back (although I think this is prohibited for your Autonomous project).

Expecting to have the product available in about a month. Pricing should be in the region of $250/£160 for the add-on board (we'll keep it as affordable as possible, but there are some required parts that we can't avoid).

Monthly rental should be around $13/£8 - only required when actually using it (no minimum contract). Messages cost about $0.07/£0.04 per 50 bytes.

We're looking for people with good ideas for the board, and we'll be supporting the more imaginative projects with free hardware and airtime. We hope to run some kind of competition to find the school that can send the 'most interesting information from the most remote places'.

Anyway - look out for a lot more details from me in the next few weeks.

Ric Searle
--
Rock 7 (home of Yellowbrick Tracking)
http://www.yellowbrick-tracking.com
I'm really interested too. Please, give me more info please!

Thanks!

rock7
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:29 am

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 am

that sounds really exciting! Both the power and cost requirements are in line with what we were looking for. Is there a website/blog that i can keep up to date with it's progress?
No website yet, but it's coming very soon... I'll post as soon as it's up.
If we turned the power off to it, any idea how long it takes to find a satellite to the point it's ready to send?
With a clear view of the sky, you should be able to power up and complete your transmission within 20 seconds. With a more restricted view of the sky, it will take a bit longer. We only need a quick glimpse of the satellite, and they fly from horizon to horizon every few minutes.

Ric
--
Rock 7

User avatar
Jim JKla
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:15 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 am

There is going to be a lot of milage in this and not just for the boat/s :D

I sincerly hope it's plural. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Ravenous
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 am

It seems to me that Autonboat is the ideal way to test the quality & reliability of data sent by a device like this. Perhaps if data can be shared some sort of deal can be made for the duration of the project...?

It's none of my business, but it seems Nabber needs a way to transmit data for his testing, and Yellowbrick need a project to demonstrate the reliability of their own service. (While following this project I did a bit of reading and found some very unhappy reviews for other tracking products.)

nabberuk
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am
Contact: Website

Re: Auton, The Autonomous Sail Boat

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am

Ravenous wrote:It seems to me that Autonboat is the ideal way to test the quality & reliability of data sent by a device like this. Perhaps if data can be shared some sort of deal can be made for the duration of the project...?

It's none of my business, but it seems Nabber needs a way to transmit data for his testing, and Yellowbrick need a project to demonstrate the reliability of their own service. (While following this project I did a bit of reading and found some very unhappy reviews for other tracking products.)
The last attempt at the microtransat challenge was having major issues with their satellite link, Would be a good advertisement for the company if it reliably transmitted the data.
the autonomous sailing boat: www.autonboat.com

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”