tiofred

Managing lots of I/O

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 am

Hi guys.
I'm really excited about the Pi.
I've seen an arduino project managing 8 PWM, 20 relays and 3 or 4 temperature (DS18B20) and pH probes.
So far so good, works fine, but I'd like to work on something with more options around.
Say wifi, webcam, webserver, managing the app via android, touchscreen, etc.
Most of the above "options" work already on Pi (except maybe touchscreen).
But how can I achieve managing PWM, relays, probes with the Pi ?
Is there extension cards for that ?
I've checked the Gertboard, but I'm lost with the electronics language in the thread, I'm not sure of the features it'll propose.
Thanks for the help guys.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Managing lots of I/O

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 am

There are two ways you can go.

1) Use an I/O processor such as the AVR or PIC.

2) Use I2C, SPI, etc to connect up the I/O chips you need.

If you need hard real-time processing then you will probably need a microcontroller anyway since the RaspPi wont do that reliably. You can use an Arduino or one of several boards people are making for the RaspPi, including the Gertboard, which has an AVR on it. On the other hand, if you are going to require filtering and isolation on the signals then you will be building your own hardware anyway.

TommyboyNL

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:43 pm

You can hook up the following modules to your Pi, if you need other/more I/O. The DIO, 7FETs and 3FETs boards all support 8-bit PWM om all outputs.

tiofred

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks for the replys!
If I get it right, a board like MiniPiio DIO16 could provide some of the features I need ?
I'm sorry, I'm a coder, coming from the windows world and I'm new to electronics.
Are those boards easy to pilot ?
What kind of setup would you advise me to get in order to have the needed features ?
Thanks a lot

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”