LearningNZ

Automated Notification with Photocells

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi there,

The project that i am currently working on involves using Photocells to read light levels in a box. When the photocell is covered, the Pi sends an email to a given address to inform them that something has been put in the box. I used the followed guide as a basis to accomplish this quite effectively and made some additions to the code to associate it with a certain address.

https://learn.adafruit.com/basic-resist ... ll-reading

Now i am at the point where i am happy with how it works so far, but now wish to add multiple photocells so that a grid of boxes (like a mailbox shelving grid or pigeon holes). I have very little experience with electronics such as this and am unsure how to scale such a project up. In terms of equipment i have all of the items listed in that guide, with multiple photocells, capacitors and wires as well as a solder-able breadboard

Does anyone here have any idea how i could go about doing this? Or know where i should look to find the answer myself? Am i even on the correct board to ask this?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Tarcas

Re: Automated Notification with Photocells

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:17 am

How far do you want to scale? A+ or B+ or v2 will get you 26 GPIO pins. If you want more than that, you'll need to go digital -- something like a chip that adds more GPIO pins, or some sort of sensor array (Can you do something resembling charlieplexing but with sensors? I only skimmed your article, so I'm not sure if it would work with this method.)

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”