tmart3935

Using a Raspberry Pi as a Flight Controller

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Hello,

I'm making a quadcopter for some research at school this semester (it will be my first build, so I'm still learning how everything comes together) and was wondering if it is possible or feasible to have a Raspberry Pi alone control the quadcopter and its movements (replacing the flight controller's job). I've seen some back and forth on this - some people arguing that you can do it and some people arguing you cannot (or it's just not worth it), but these were all discussions from a few years ago. I haven't seen any recent discussions on this topic, so have things changed? Is this idea more feasible now?

Thank you!

scotty101

Re: Using a Raspberry Pi as a Flight Controller

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:48 pm

The situation is still the same.

It is possible to use a raspberry pi as a flight controller, people have done it. Just comes down to whether the pros outweigh the cons.

Making a quadcopter work from scratch is not a simple project and it has taken those who have done this with the Pi many months to get it working adequately.
What level of "school" are you talking about? I certainly wouldn't consider this to be a project for someone in the under 18 age range unless they already have extensive experience.

Just think carefully about what the aims of your project are and whether realistically you'll have the hundreds of hours required to get a quad working as well as the budget to replace broken props, motors, batteries etc when your quad crashes (and it will, been there done that, searched through the field for the pieces)
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

tmart3935

Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:58 pm

I'm in a master's program for computer science, but I did not do an undergrad degree in CS though, so I'm relatively new to the field. This is my second semester and I am doing some graduate research with my professor. We're trying to build a quadcopter that'll use image recognition to locate human beings trapped by natural disasters. Right now, I have all the parts and am just researching everything there is to know about quadcopters in general, as well as how to put one together.

Based on what you're saying and given my circumstances of having limited time to do this, I'd say figuring out how to use the Pi as a flight controller isn't worth the effort. I was just curious if it was possible because my professor had raised the question as he has tried to do it himself in the past and failed.

scotty101

Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:33 pm

tmart3935 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:58 pm
We're trying to build a quadcopter that'll use image recognition to locate human beings trapped by natural disasters.
I'd stick to the image recognition element of this rather than trying to do both flight control and image recognition. Nothing stopping your Pi from communicating to a dedicated flight controller when a human is detected to perhaps change flight mode from "Search" to "Hover".
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

AeroWiz

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:23 am

Hi..
Did you make this?

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”