OO-Dragon

Kootnet Sensors - Record, View and Visualize Sensor Data

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:22 am

Kootnet Sensors

Downloads and Install help files (GitHub) URL: https://github.com/chad-ermacora/sensor-rp
Software Defaults
Username: Kootnet
Password: sensors

Monitor, Record & Visualize Sensor Data. Record for minutes, months, years or even decades to get insights into the environment around you.

So what is "Kootnet Sensors"? The short answer is a Python3 program made for the Raspberry Pi to take supported hardware sensor readings and save it into a database for short and long term monitoring and analysis. It can also be used to relay the sensor readings to other 3rd party services over the internet like Open Sense Map, Luftdaten or any service that supports MQTT.

The primary way to access and use the sensor is through the built-in HTTPS web portal. Using the web portal, you can configure and interact with the sensor and its data. From there you can enable sensors, configure recording, edit network connections, view live sensor readings, create graphs based on recorded data and enable 3rd party services like "Open Sense Map" and "Luftdaten".

There is also a "Sensor Control" section in the web portal that allows you to interact with up to 20 other Kootnet Sensors at once, to do things like creating sensor reports, downloading databases or logs, upgrading multiple units at once or simply checking their online status.

Kootnet Sensors supports 20+ Add-on hardware sensors and displays, including popular ones like the Raspberry Pi SenseHAT, Pimoroni EnviroPHAT, and EnviroPlus. If you have a Pimoroni GardenHAT, you can connect up to 6 different sensor modules at once without needing to solder anything!

Here are a few pictures of the programs in action to help visualize what it can do (See GitHub for more details).

Hardware Examples

Example Plotly Graph
The graph is interactive, so it's best to see an original. Click the link to view one generated from a demo sensor.
http://kootenay-networks.com/installers ... Graph.html

A Few Screen Shots of the Web Portal
System Information

Live Sensor Readings

Installed Sensors

Sensor Control

Graphing Options

I hope people find this cool and useful. Please keep in mind this project is under active development.
If you have any feature requests or bug reports, you can leave them here or in GitHub (the GitHub link can be found at the start of this post).
Last edited by OO-Dragon on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
OO-Dragon

OO-Dragon

Re: Kootnet Sensors - Record, View and Visualize Sensor Data

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:22 am

** Saving for later **
OO-Dragon

OO-Dragon

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:05 am

Kootnet Sensors now supports Weather Underground, Luftdaten and Open Sense Map.

Send your Raspberry Pi Sensor data to be analyzed and displayed by a free weather monitoring service!
Kootnet-Sensors-Online-Services.png
Kootnet Sensors Online Services
Kootnet-Sensors-Online-Services.png (88.36 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
OO-Dragon

OO-Dragon

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:41 pm

I have updated the information above as Kootnet Sensors has gone through a few versions since I last updated this post.

As of this post I have released version Beta.30.190. It comes with the following additions (more or less) since I last updated this post.
  1. MQTT Support as a Publisher and or Broker and or Subscriber
  2. Enhanced Display configurations
  3. New Sensor Support
  4. Faster Sensor Control commands
  5. Add Notes to the Database
  6. Added Latest Standard and Development builds versions under System Information
  7. Other Misc fixes and enhancements
This is also the first version that sends back a bit of usage data to me. For clarity, this is what it sends back to me, which I use for debugging.
  1. The "Sensor ID", which is a randomly generated 32 character alphanumeric string
  2. Program Version
  3. Installed Sensors
  4. System Uptime in Minutes
  5. Last 50 or so lines of the programs Primary log and Sensors Hardware log
The sensor does a check-in every 24 hours. Logs are only sent on the program's start or if the logs have changed since the last sending.
The Sensor ID will let me identify unique sensors. The Program version will tell me what version is having issues (if any). Installed Sensors will let me know what hardware is being used. The System up time will let me know if constant restarts are issues of the program or the system, and the logs will help me identify issues in the program under different use cases that I may not be testing.

In the next version, I'll add the ability to A) Disable the Check-Ins and B) Change the Check-In URL so you get the info instead of me, which should help in keeping track of larger fleets of Sensors.

I think that about covers it.

If you have any feature requests or bug reports, you can leave them here or in GitHub.

Thanks!
OO-Dragon

OO-Dragon

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 am

Version Beta.32.64 is now out. Here is a quick list of changes since Beta.30.190

- Greatly improved MQTT Publisher
- Publish using Kootnet Sensors format OR Topic per sensor OR Custom string with replacement variables
- Kootnet Sensors format = Send readings to an MQTT broker for another Kootnet sensor to Subscribe to and record those readings to its database
- Topic per sensor = Send readings to their own topic, one topic per sensor reading (sensors with multiple readings, like accelerometer, are broken up to have a topic per reading, such as X/Y/Z)
- Custom String = Craft your own format and have Kootnet sensors replace variables with actual sensor readings before sending it to the broker. Eg. {'Name': {{ SystemHostName }}, 'temp': {{ EnvTemp }}} would turn into something like {'Name': MySensor, 'temp': 44.536}

- Improved MQTT Subscriber
- Write data received from the MQTT broker to a SQL database

- Improved Remote Management of other Kootnet sensors
- Create multiple lists of IP's to use
- Send most configurations as text files

- Improved Graphing
- Upload custom databases to graph
- Graph readings from an MQTT Subscriber database
- Quick graphing added for simpler graphs of local sensors only

- Improved local SQL recording
- Added "High/Low" based trigger recording
- added selections for what to record for Interval Recording

- Enhanced Database Management
- Added ability to download databases as RAW or ZIP (Main DB, MQTT Subscriber DB, Sensor Check-ins DB)
- Upload and replace any local Database
- Upload & manage custom databases for graphing

- Added ability to email reports or quick graphs on a continual basis (daily, weekly, etc)
- Updated Check-ins interface
- Disable and or change frequency of sensor check-ins (debug reporting)
- Other misc bug fixes and performance enhancements
OO-Dragon

bensimmo

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:22 am

Nice to see his is still being developed. I was helping someone a bit back needing alterations to your MQTT publishing so he could send the data into our servers too. And you changed it.

Anyway, i'll be giving your newest versions a go again soon as I've some Pi's I want to fire up and plenty of sense HATs.

OO-Dragon

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:33 am

bensimmo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:22 am
Nice to see his is still being developed. I was helping someone a bit back needing alterations to your MQTT publishing so he could send the data into our servers too. And you changed it.

Anyway, I'll be giving your newest versions a go again soon as I've some Pi's I want to fire up and plenty of sense HATs.
Changed it in a good way I hope :)
I'm pretty happy with the MQTT publishing now. With the ability to insert sensor variables into a custom string, it should be fairly compatible with most 3rd party MQTT hosts out there.

I'm taking a bit of a break now since the web interface has gone through its major overhaul but I still have a long list of to-do's, so the project is still under active development.

Thanks for your interest, and if you have any suggestions, post them here or on the GitHub discussions.
OO-Dragon

bensimmo

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 am

changed, as in made it work for him. That generally a plus :D

Not sure if he gave the details, but needed to connect to our connectedhumber mqtt servers and send a custom json string.

OO-Dragon

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:56 am

bensimmo wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 am
changed, as in made it work for him. That generally a plus :D

Not sure if he gave the details, but needed to connect to our connectedhumber mqtt servers and send a custom json string.
Yep I remember him, we have chatted a bit through email and I'm pretty sure he is the one that got me thinking of how to improve the MQTT sections.
OO-Dragon

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”