neerow

Chair occupancy sensor

Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am

Hi,

I'm planning to make a simple waiting time estimate screen for a doctor's office.
They have chairs they want sensors on, so that they can estimate the approximately wait time.
The wait time is fixed and is 20 minutes for each chair.

They have 5 chairs that needs a sensor/detector.

If no customers is present, the wait time will be 0 - 5 minutes,
if someone is sitting on the first chair, the wait time will be 20 - 25 minutes.
If chair 1 and 2 is occupied, the wait time will be 40 - 45 minutes and it continues like this with 20 minutes interval for each chair.

My plan at the moment is following
- 1 raspberry pi on each chair (pre-programmed for each chair with a script that updates the estimated time on the screen)
- 1 sensor on each seat (IR Proximity Sensor, thermal sensor or something else that would be good and reliable. Preferably connected with USB)
- The sensor should be able to detect that the seat is occupied by detecting that someone is sitting there (in example a sensor in the gap between the seat and the backrest, that could be mounted on the wall behind the chair)

Do you have any advise for what type of sensors i should use or other ideas of how this can be solved?

Thanks

B.Goode

Re: Chair occupancy sensor

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

neerow wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:14 am
Hi,

I'm planning to make a simple waiting time estimate screen for a doctor's office.
They have chairs they want sensors on, so that they can estimate the approximately wait time.
The wait time is fixed and is 20 minutes for each chair.

They have 5 chairs that needs a sensor/detector.

If no customers is present, the wait time will be 0 - 5 minutes,
if someone is sitting on the first chair, the wait time will be 20 - 25 minutes.
If chair 1 and 2 is occupied, the wait time will be 40 - 45 minutes and it continues like this with 20 minutes interval for each chair.

My plan at the moment is following
- 1 raspberry pi on each chair (pre-programmed for each chair with a script that updates the estimated time on the screen)
- 1 sensor on each seat (IR Proximity Sensor, thermal sensor or something else that would be good and reliable. Preferably connected with USB)
- The sensor should be able to detect that the seat is occupied by detecting that someone is sitting there (in example a sensor in the gap between the seat and the backrest, that could be mounted on the wall behind the chair)

Do you have any advise for what type of sensors i should use or other ideas of how this can be solved?

Thanks

Similar to this? https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... pi-cushion

Maybe the pressure pad switches fitted in car seats to detect whether a seat belt is needed could be used?

Perhaps cheaper and more reliable to teach basic numeracy?

Do none of the patients have partners or carers accompanying them?

For a simple First In, First Out Queue my wait time will not be increased if someone else joins the queue.
Last edited by B.Goode on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gordon77

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:40 am

If you can't modify the chairs maybe these looking through the gap in the chair, or from the ceiling above..

https://thepihut.com/products/ultrasoni ... sor-hcsr04

LTolledo

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm

chair occupancy sensor network query routine:
1. is the seat occupied?
2. is it occupied by a person?
3. is the occupying person a patient?
4. is patient a priority patient?
5. what is the time index of the occupying patient
6. did the seat occupant moved seat?

output: waiting time of patient for each seat occupied.

for this the sensor network should comprise of sensors on
one on the patient itself
one on the seat itself
one scanning the seat area.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”