FatalXception

Basement sensors?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:22 am

I have a basement and am considering a project where I use a raspberry pi with a few sensors. My first priority is monitoring my oil tank level so I don’t run out during the winter. The gauge is a glass bottle style mounted on the top of the tank. Is there a good way to just collect the metrics or should I just use a pi camera and go visually? I appreciate the advice.
Thanks!

pcmanbob

Re: Basement sensors?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:13 am

Unless the gauge has some output that you could connect to your pi or you can add some thing simply , you best option would probably be to go visually using a camera.

What is a glass bottle style gauge ?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

FatalXception

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

It looks like a glass baby food jar inverted on top of the tank with a float inside. No electronic sensors and the gauge is sealed so the only way to measure it that’s i could see would be some kind of image recognition if it were anything other than a visual from a camera. Figured I’d ask the question anyway in case someone else on this forum is aware of a project that might be similar. Thanks though!

pcmanbob

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Without seeing this " glass baby food jar inverted on top of the tank with a float inside " its had to say what might be possible , if the float moves over a reasonable distance you night be able to use light beam sensors , were the beam gets broken by the float ?

might help if you post some pictures.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

blimpyway

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Liquid level in a tank can also be measured with an ultrasonic distance sensor.
I don't know with Pi-s, but on arduino/microcontrollers sub-centimeter precision is possible, because there are no unpredictable interrupts, you can reliably measure time intervals with accuracy of a few microseconds.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”