Brandon92

Re: Controlling stepper motor with Adafruit TB6612

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Okay, no problem. Glad that it is working now.

raspdroid

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:09 am

It was working but now it has stopped working, it moves very slowly and without force. I'll check all the wires in case one of them is wrong, the code had not touched it when it started to fail.

video whet it was working

Nema 17 but with 59Ncm instance of 14Ncm

Brandon92

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:28 pm

raspdroid wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:09 am
It was working but now it has stopped working, it moves very slowly and without force. I'll check all the wires in case one of them is wrong, the code had not touched it when it started to fail.

video whet it was working

Nema 17 but with 59Ncm instance of 14Ncm
So, you used a bigger motor and now its dead? Or did it die with the small one.
When I look at the datasheet of you new motor. I found something strange, the voltage is 2.8V @2A. And you use 12V? Or do I read it wrong.
Also you motor driver can only handle a average current of 1.2A.
So, its possible that you blow up you TB6612 or you motor. Does it still measure fine, if you use a multimeter?

raspdroid

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Yes, I do not understand that either, I'm going to ask the seller.

Actually I plan to use @24V. The PnP machine that I am building works at 24V with a DM542.

The thing about the dispenser was something that occurred to me, oblivious to the machine, I bought some parts that I thought could be used and in the end it has served, only that I believe that the engine must have twice the torque of this one that I have.

What I had a TB6612 in the drawer and decided to try with the raspberry @12V

It was working, the engine forced to the maximum, until I was going to place it with some flanges to record a video and it stopped working. I have reviewed and the connections and everything looks good.

Brandon92

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm

raspdroid wrote:
Remember that the maximal voltage for the TB6621 is 13.5V
raspdroid wrote:
It was working, the engine forced to the maximum, until I was going to place it with some flanges to record a video and it stopped working. I have reviewed and the connections and everything looks good.
It is possible that you stepper motor, in this application draw to much power from the TB6621 and damaged it. Do yo own a mulitmeter, than you can measure if the output of the TB6621 is still "good". Or the other possibility is that you motor is damaged, but I expect the driver first.

raspdroid

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Brandon92 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm
raspdroid wrote:
Remember that the maximal voltage for the TB6621 is 13.5V

Yes, thanks
raspdroid wrote:
It is possible that you stepper motor, in this application draw to much power from the TB6621 and damaged it. Do yo own a mulitmeter, than you can measure if the output of the TB6621 is still "good". Or the other possibility is that you motor is damaged, but I expect the driver first.
Iout=1.2A(ave) / 3.2A (peak)

It gets very hot but I think it's working. I'm going to ask the seller for one for 12 and 24V, anyway I have to buy one more strongly. This sometimes jumped some steps and that can not happen.

Brandon92

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 pm

raspdroid wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 pm
It gets very hot but I think it's working.
If it gets very hot its a indication that it cant handle the load. And this will also decrease the current that can go to you motor. Do you mean by very hot, to hot to touch?
You can find in the datasheet what heat does to the output capabilities.

edit
Will it also get hot when you connect the small motor, with no load?

raspdroid

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:33 pm

It's possible that the driver has been damaged, I will check it.

I did a quick search on google:
Actually, steppers work best operating at 8-20X their rated voltage. Most of the stepper motors used in 3D printers are rated for 3-4V, so 12V supplies work, but are not ideal. It is better to operate from higher voltage if your drivers can handle it. I have 3.2V steppers in the X and Y axis of my printer and operate them using external drivers and separate 32V power supplies. I get fantastic print quality.

The RAMPS board is your limiting factor here. The motor drivers on it can't handle more than about 1.7A continuously or they'll overheat and either die or shut themselves off. Either case will have disastrous results for your prints. Trying to run the RAMPS board from 24V is often problematic because some of the parts on the board may not be able to handle 24V. Stay with 12V and hope for the best. Be sure to get some spare motor driver modules- you're going to need them- you'll probably kill a few before you get the machine dialed-in.

You might want to look into external stepper drivers and power supplies. You can run just the steppers off a higher voltage supply- look for 24-36V, and then pick up external driver modules like these: [www.ebay.com] for $12 shipped. See all that heatsink area? Compare that to the heatsinks on the pololu driver modules. Those modules will connect to the step/direction/enable lines on the RAMPS board very easily. You'll pay $5 for the little pololu modules, so this isn't a very big step up in expense but it will be a huge step up in reliability.

If you want to get a little fancier, you can try DSP based driver modules like this: [ZUAAOSwAHZUQ3E7" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com] These have additional settings for microstepping, handle higher voltage supplies, and sense resonance and suppress it by modulating the drive current. They will make your printer run whisper quiet.

If you aren't married to the RAMPS board, look at Smoothieboard. The on-board drivers will handle 2A continuously without overheating. You can connect 24V with no worries. It has about hundred other benefits, the biggest of which is not requiring a firmware recompile each time you change a machine configuration parameter. You just edit a text file on the board's memory card and reboot the board. The config file is read each time the board boots up. No screwing around with flaky Arduino IDE.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 09:32AM by the_digital_dentist.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”