jwpalermo

Can RPi3B Supply Power Over Ethernet (POE) for IP Camera?

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi,

I'd like to use my RPi3B to supply power over ethernet to an IP camera.

For example, this one: https://www.amazon.com/Security-Megapix ... a+ethernet

It would also have to receive data from the IP camera on the same ethernet cable.

I'm just uncertain as to whether the RPI3B can supply power from its ethernet port and whether it would be sufficient to power a standard IP camera designed for use with POE.

I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

DirkS

Re: Can RPi3B Supply Power Over Ethernet (POE) for IP Camera?

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:15 pm

Not directly, but you could use an injector.
I have not looked at the link in detail, but you may also need a splitter.
E,g, https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PoE ... ector&th=1

hippy

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:31 pm

It's an interesting question as to whether the PoE connections on the Pi 3B+ can be used in reverse; to be a provider for power. It would still need 48V or whatever adding to be injected. It might be possible to put 5V out.

I just wish I had money to burn, or a supply of free Pi, then I'd happily try such things out and report back.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 pm

jwpalermo wrote:
Hi,

It would also have to receive data from the IP camera on the same ethernet cable.

I'm just uncertain as to whether the RPI3B can supply power from its ethernet port and whether it would be sufficient to power a standard IP camera designed for use with POE.

PoE does not work like you envisage, the unused wires in the Ethernet Cable are used to carry the power:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Therefore you need an PoE Injector........
Adieu

gkaiseril

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm

From what I have read the Pi's POE hat is used to power the Pi from an Ethernet cable that has had power properly injected into the cable. This is the same way the camera is receiving power. The power is injected, added, to the Ethernet cable by a special injector or by a specialized Ethernet router or Ethernet switch.

Have you read the Wikipedia entry Power Over Ethernet?

The power provided is a minimum of 44 V DC and 350 mA. This far more than a normal Pi can handle or provide.

klricks

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 pm

jwpalermo wrote:
Hi,

Do you mean 3B or 3B+?
Only the 3B+ will support PoE but the 3B+ needs to have extra hardware attached. The announced PoE Hat has not been released yet.
I don't believe there is any power pass through capability built into any device.
The IP camera and RPi would need separate network connections to a network hub/switch or router anyway.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

hippy

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
PoE does not work like you envisage, the unused wires in the Ethernet Cable are used to carry the power:

PoE can be supplied by separate pairs or by superimposing the supply to the device being powered on data carrying pairs as that Wikipedia article indicates.

Using a Pi 3B+ to do the injecting is looking possible from preliminary investigations but a Pi 3B would seem to require an external injector.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 pm

hippy wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

PoE can be supplied by separate pairs or by superimposing the supply to the device being powered on data carrying pairs as that Wikipedia article indicates.

Using a Pi 3B+ to do the injecting is looking possible from preliminary investigations but a Pi 3B would seem to require an external injector.

I think you have it wrong, the Camera needs the Power not the Raspberry Pi.

The RPi 3B+ PoE HAT is a Splitter.

The RPi itself can not inject the power required via the Ethernet Jack, which was the actual question by the OP.

As I stated above an Injector is required at the RPi end and a Splitter at the Camera end:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-POE ... B0038X3RVA
Adieu

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:18 pm

klricks wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 pm
jwpalermo wrote:
Hi,

Do you mean 3B or 3B+?
Only the 3B+ will support PoE but the 3B+ needs to have extra hardware attached. The announced PoE Hat has not been released yet.
I don't believe there is any power pass through capability built into any device.
The IP camera and RPi would need separate network connections to a network hub/switch or router anyway.

As above an Injector and Splitter is required.

It should be feasible to implement with a ethernet single cable between the RPi and Camera, though it largely depends on how one can set the IP Addressing of the Camera.
Adieu

drgeoff

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

It should be feasible to implement with a ethernet single cable between the RPi and Camera, though it largely depends on how one can set the IP Addressing of the Camera.
@fotl
You've lost me there. I cannot see how setting the IP Addressing of the Camera has any bearing on anything that has been discussed in this topic. Please elucidate.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm

drgeoff wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

@fotl
You've lost me there. I cannot see how setting the IP Addressing of the Camera has any bearing on anything that has been discussed in this topic. Please elucidate.

The OP wants to use a single Ethernet cable between the RPi and Camera, the response I responded to stated:

The IP camera and RPi would need separate network connections to a network hub/switch or router anyway

I have used IP Cameras which are only DHCP Clients as well as IP Cameras which can have a StaticIP......
Adieu

hippy

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 pm
hippy wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

I think you have it wrong, the Camera needs the Power not the Raspberry Pi.

The RPi 3B+ PoE HAT is a Splitter.

The RPi itself can not inject the power required via the Ethernet Jack, which was the actual question by the OP.

As I stated above an Injector is required at the RPi end and a Splitter at the Camera end:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-POE ... B0038X3RVA
I understand PoE and I understand exactly what the OP is asking and wanting.

Yes, I understand that it's the camera which requires power and the OP wants that power to come from the Pi end of the connection.

Yes, I understand the OP wants to use a single ethernet cable between Pi and camera.

Yes, I understand the camera will need to have a splitter if it does not include splitter electronics within it.

Yes, I understand that a Pi does not normally act as an injector and an injector will be needed when it doesn't.

All I was saying is that PoE doesn't require "unused lines" to carry power between the injector and splitter. PoE can be implemented using the data carrying lines. And it has to be so for Gigabit Ethernet because there are no "unused lines", all four data pairs are used for carrying data.

And I was also saying that it does appear the Pi 3B+ could be used as an injector with the addition of other components which simply plug into the Pi 3B+.

No, that's not by design nor intent, but it does look like it could be done and could work, though that hasn't been done nor proven to my knowledge.

And, yes, I know the OP hasn't got a Pi 3B+.

drgeoff

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:08 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm
drgeoff wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

@fotl

The OP wants to use a single Ethernet cable between the RPi and Camera, the response I responded to stated:

The IP camera and RPi would need separate network connections to a network hub/switch or router anyway

I have used IP Cameras which are only DHCP Clients as well as IP Cameras which can have a StaticIP......
You appear to be talking about IP connectivity. Nothing to do with addressing, however it is set..

hippy

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 am

The Pi cannot supply PoE itself. To do that you would need to use an external PoE injector with an additional power supply. The Pi would be able to receive the data back from the camera but you may have to configure your Pi to provide an IP address for the camera -

Code: Select all

.------------.
.-----.    |          |_|
| PSU |----|    Pi    |_|    .----------. PoE       .--------._/|
`-----'    |          |_|====| Injector |=====//====| camera |_ |
           `------------'    `----------'           `--------' \|
.-----.                           |
| PSU |---------------------------'
`-----'
Alternatively you could plug both into a router or hub which had the capability to provide PoE to the camera. This would likely be easier to configure than the above. It would also be possible to connect your Pi to the router via WiFi if desired.

This would also allow other Pi's or PC's connected to the router to access the Pi or camera. The router does not need to connect to the external internet, the phone line, cable, or your ISP; it can be a standalone router -

.------------.
| PSU |----|    Pi    |_|              PoE          .--------._/|
`-----'    |          |_|======.      .=======//====| camera |_ |
           `------------'      |      |             `--------' \|
                             .----------.
                             |  Router  |
                             `----------'
If your router does not provide PoE output, you can provide for that by adding an injector at the router -

.------------.
| PSU |----|    Pi    |_|              PoE          .--------._/|
`-----'    |          |_|======.      .=======//====| camera |_ |
           `------------'      |      |             `--------' \|
                               | .----------.
                               | | Injector |--.
                               | `----------'  |
                               |      |        |
                             .----------.   .-----.
                             |  Router  |   | PSU |
                             `----------'   `-----'
For a Pi 3B+ there is the potential possibility that it could act as the injector so you would not need an external injector. This has not been tested nor proven so far -

.------------.
| PSU |----| Pi 3B+ : |_| PoE                       .--------._/|
`-----'    |        | |_|=====================//====| camera |_ |
           `--------|---'                           `--------' \|
.-----.             |
| PSU |-------------'
`-----'
The camera you linked to is PoE capable so needs nothing more than the RJ45 cable carrying PoE power connecting to it. If it were not a PoE capable camera you would need a splitter at the camera end to split the PoE from the cable to deliver power to the camera -

PoE       .----------.     .--------._/|
                        ====//====| Splitter |=====| camera |_ |
                                  `----------'     `--------' \|
                                          |   Power   |
                                          `-----------'

jwpalermo

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:14 pm

@Hippy, thank you for the detailed diagrams and contingencies! I'm going to try to do this and I'll report back.

jwpalermo

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Would a product such as this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01E15 ... UTF8&psc=1

(ANVISION 5-Port Ethernet Switch with 4 PoE Ports + 1 Uplink, 10/100Mbps IEEE802.af/at)

be able to function as a 'router' as described in the connectivity diagrams above? i.e. it would make it easier to configure than a direct POE link?

I've found this thread helpful as well: viewtopic.php?t=78676

In it DougieLawson writes:
Easiest is connect your RPi to your home router, connect your IP cam to your router.

You can use nmap to find its IP addr.

sudo apt-get install nmap
sudo nmap -v -sn 192.168.xxx.xxx/24 # change that to scan your subnet.
I'm hoping that with the POE switch I described above, I'll be able to do something like this.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:06 pm

The switch does not contain a DHCP server. You would to either set IP address of RPi and camera manually or add a separate DHCP server such as virtually all home routers.

hippy

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:03 pm

You might be best off getting a mains powered injector to create the first option suggested. Just plug that in next to your Pi's PSU -

https://www.amazon.ca/BQLZR-Injector-Et ... B00S5RP3GQ

Or something like that.

jwpalermo

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now I've got my RPi 3B connected by ethernet to an IP camera. I understand that I need to set a static IP for the RPi and the camera. Setting a static IP for the Pi seems straightforward (https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ne ... p-address/). However, I've found less information about configuring IP cameras. Should I expect to be able to set a static IP for the IP camera from the terminal of my RPi? Any ideas how to do this?

For reference, this is the camera that I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777 ... UTF8&psc=1

hippy

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:16 pm

It's probably easier to just set up a DHCP client on the Pi serving up addresses in the same network group as the Pi and let the camera take the IP address it serves out. There's probably some way to set it up so it only offers one address so you'll know which it gets.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”