brucepi

Long Range wifi for a moving vehicle

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:58 pm

I am going to make a telemetry system for a vehicle.
Can I use Wifi for this purpose since this is mobile?
If yes what long range wifi devic for pi do you recommend?
For losing line-of-sight what solutions are available?

pcmanbob

Re: Long Range wifi for a moving vehicle

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi.

wifi range is limited even under ideal conditions.
A general rule of thumb in home networking says that WiFi routers operating on the traditional 2.4 GHz band reach up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors. Older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands reached approximately one-third of these distances. Newer 802.11n and 802.11ac routers that operate on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands vary in the reach similarly.

Physical obstructions in homes such as brick walls and metal frames or siding reduce the range of a WiFi network by 25% or more.

you might find a 3g/4g device/service will do what you want if non line of sight is required.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

OutoftheBOTS

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:57 pm

You have a couple of options.

I am lead to believe that the ESP32 chips with an external aerial can send wifi up to 2km away so it maybe possible to use the ESP32 as a middle man for your project.

There is also a number of 433mhz transceiver modules around that can do up to 2km range aswell

PiGraham

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 pm

The usual way to connect data with a vehicle is to use GSM (for slow / small data) or 4G/LTE (mobile broadband for fast / big data)
You can get in-car 4G to WiFi devices that take a SIM and enable any Wi-Fi device to connect to internet on the move.
As with phones you have a choice of discounted device on contract or PAYG or a "SIM free" device that should take any PAYG or SIM-only contract SIM card.

You can probably use your phone as a 3G/4G mobile WiFi hotspot if you will have your phone in the car when you need to transfer data.

PhatFil

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 pm

LORA might be an option, Andreas spiess has youtube channel and demo'd the tech using low cost components..

brucepi

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 am

so since it is mobile it seems that I have to use GSM instead of wifi?
This is for a telemetry system. the vehicle is in a competition and must send data to the station.

PiGraham

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 am

brucepi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 am
so since it is mobile it seems that I have to use GSM instead of wifi?
This is for a telemetry system. the vehicle is in a competition and must send data to the station.
What range do you need?
If it's a race circuit you have different options than if it's a long rally stage.

brucepi

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 pm

it is a circuit and I have no idea how far would the station be from the vehicle during the race.
Do you think the wifi would work for a moving vehicle ? or do I have to switch to GSM?

pcmanbob

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:50 am

brucepi wrote:
it is a circuit and I have no idea how far would the station be from the vehicle during the race.
Do you think the wifi would work for a moving vehicle ? or do I have to switch to GSM?
If you have no idea of the distance between the base station and the vehicle then GSM my be the safer option , but have you checked you can actually get a GSM / service connection at the location in question.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

brucepi

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:34 am

would you please give me a source for building a Lora Gateway with Raspberry Pi? one that I can go through every step easily?

PiGraham

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 am

brucepi wrote:

You have no idea? You mean you know nothing about where this system is to be used? I suggest that is a place to begin your research. You need to know line of sight distances and elevations of the various circuits where it may be used.

Silverstone is only 2.2km across. Nurbugring is 2.5km. A base station in an elevated and fairly central location only needs a range to vehicles of about 2km to cover the whole site. That is viable for WiFi, LORA and even basic 433MHz radios could probably do it.
If you can't get the height to have line of sight various mesh networks could be used.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”