relavis

Jack Skellington Halloween Robot

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am

Hi everyone!

I'm relavis, I'm 15, and I'm really interested in robotics and also Halloween. I recently decorated the entire front of our house and basically everyone loved it. I'd like to step it up a notch this year so I'm looking into creating a Jack Skellington audio animatronic. It'd be VERY basic, with functions like opening and closing the mouth, turning the head, and a moving hand would be amazing. I'm not looking for crazy smooth animation or anything like that (ex. Haunted Mansion Holiday's Jack), I'd just like to create something that'll add a "star" to my Halloween decorating.

The only issue is, I don't know where to start.
I've worked with robotics before, I've taken robotic classes, but I'm not sure where to start outside of those classes, as those were more educational products that you can't really buy for personal use. I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi because they seem simple enough for this project. I've got experience with Python and RobotC, one of which I'd like to choose for this project. I should only need a few servos and motors; possibly a speaker.

So, where should I start? What materials do you suggest?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

OutoftheBOTS

Re: Jack Skellington Halloween Robot

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Sounds like a fun project :)

Ok you will probably find python an easier language to start with and there is more support for it than C on these forums.

Audio I normally use a blue tooth speaker and the RPi OS (operating system) has support for this built in. I use the pygame library to play the mp3 files in python for sound.

To use servos it is eassiest to use an interface board to do it the most common (and best IMO) is the PCA9685 chip and if your in the US the Adafruit 1 is probably the easist to buy and Adafruit offer a lot of support with their products see https://www.adafruit.com/?q=PCA9685 and their libraries to use it at https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_PCA9685

That should get the ball rolling for you :)

relavis

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 pm

OutoftheBOTS wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:44 pm
Sounds like a fun project :)

Ok you will probably find python an easier language to start with and there is more support for it than C on these forums.

Audio I normally use a blue tooth speaker and the RPi OS (operating system) has support for this built in. I use the pygame library to play the mp3 files in python for sound.

To use servos it is eassiest to use an interface board to do it the most common (and best IMO) is the PCA9685 chip and if your in the US the Adafruit 1 is probably the easist to buy and Adafruit offer a lot of support with their products see https://www.adafruit.com/?q=PCA9685 and their libraries to use it at https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_PCA9685

That should get the ball rolling for you :)
Thank you so much for this information! I had already been thinking about using a Bluetooth speaker so that'd work perfectly. Do you have any suggestions for servos or motors?

OutoftheBOTS

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Do you have any suggestions for servos or motors?
In my experience with servos is you get what you pay for. I do lots of playing around with prototyping all sorts of projects so not spending too much money on each component is desired but I have found never buy the cheapest servos that you can find, at least be willing to come up a little. I only use metal gear servos as I find any plastic geared ones strip the plastic gears very fast.

The main thing is that you will need a servo that can produce enough torque for your project. Unfortunately most servos r designed for RC. RC r usually after very fast servos but not so much torque were as robot type stuff we don't need too fast a servo but r after higher torque to move a heaver object.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”