Connection between raspberry tablet and ESP8266

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:07 am

Hi guys,
I have a hot question for you.
My system consist of:
- raspberry pi 3;
- tablet android;
- ESP8266
The aim of my application is the following: raspberry read the data from the ESP8266 (pin status) and displays it on the tablet using a node red dashboard.
My question is: is a router necessary for the communication between the devices (raspberry with ESP8266 and tablet) or can I use an alternative way for example MQTT?
Then I have another question: is possible to pass a tablet parameter (for example the GPS position) to the raspberry? In the detail, instead of use a GPS sensor connected to raspberry, I would use the data from the GPS tablet sensor.
Thanks in advance and have a good week end.
Paolo

DougieLawson

Re: Connection between raspberry tablet and ESP8266

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:06 am

Doing MQTT on ESPs is easy, I've just switched from the small ESP-01s to ESP12F (on Wemos boards), there's Nick O'Lleary's code for the Arduino IDE that "just works".

For your Android tablet it's a little bit harder but I got https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.android working on my mobile phone (subscribing to a MQTT topic that's published by an Arduino with a thermocouple).

MQTT on Raspberries is trivial and that's the piece that glues all of my experiments together.

Publishing NMEA sentences from a GPS receiver is probably about five lines of python to read from gpsd and publish.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

paolojo

Re: Connection between raspberry tablet and ESP8266

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks,
but how do you realize the wireless connection between the raspberry, the ESP and the tablet?
Do you set the raspy as an AP? ?'ve followed the tutorial in
https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspbe ... ess-point/
It seems ok: I see the wifi network and I am able to connect my pc to it.
But after I've connected the PC to raspy AP, I'm not able to connect my pc to raspy using PUTTY for an SSH communication.
Could you help me?
thanks

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”