TBJoe

Raspberry Pi for OwnCloud

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Hello,
I have no experience with things like the Raspberry Pi yet, but I am thinking about getting one for my own OwnCloud-Server. Of course, what I want to do with it in the end might change as I keep playing with it.

Here are two of my own questions:
1) what model of Raspberry Pi to choose? A, B, B+, 2?
I think I heard, that the speed of RPI 2 could definitely help OwnCloud. What do you say?

2) What about HDD / USB / SD for memory? What would you choose and why? Will I have power-problems?
I won't need a very large amount of memory, but I want the option to add more memory, if needed

If you can think of other notable things, please don't hesitate to tell me about it. Maybe you already tried to set up your OwnCloud server and can tell me what problems I could run into.

PS: I want to order it soon and hopefully with all the extra hardware, I'll need (like for memory). It would be good if I don't discover that something essential is missing and I need to order it and wait again :)

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi for OwnCloud

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:45 pm

You should buy a RPI2B

You appear to be confusing memory (as in RAM which is fixed at 1GB) with flash memory (as in SDCards which give you 4GB to 512GB of space instead of a hard disk). A 8GB SDCard should be good enough.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

TBJoe

Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm not confusing RAM with mass-storage. Maybe I'm confusing the english terms or not making it clear what I'm talking about :)

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:17 pm

TBJoe wrote:I'm not confusing RAM with mass-storage. Maybe I'm confusing the english terms or not making it clear what I'm talking about :)
You are!
TBJoe wrote: 2) What about HDD / USB / SD for memory [sic]? What would you choose and why? Will I have power-problems?
I won't need a very large amount of memory [sic], but I want the option to add more memory [sic], if needed
HDD, USB and SD are all mass storage devices.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

TBJoe

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Yeah well I already said, that I'm probably misusing the english terms (I'm not a native speaker obviously). But it's kinda obvious what I'm talking about, so let's not keep on talking about how I misuse the terms. But thanks for telling me anyway.

65coupei6

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:01 am

TBJoe wrote:Yeah well I already said, that I'm probably misusing the english terms (I'm not a native speaker obviously). But it's kinda obvious what I'm talking about, so let's not keep on talking about how I misuse the terms. But thanks for telling me anyway.
Some people are just like that. They rather point out flaws then actually help. Don't take it personal.

1. PI 2. More power, same cost.
2. SD 4gb or 8gb class 6 should be good. Then mount a 1tb or 2tb portable drive for file storage.

I am running owncloud on a PI B with a 8gb SD and 1tb Toshiba portable drive with good results.
Running lighttpd and sqlight

francis264

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Technically memory is supposed to refer to RAM and the like. In practice few people still use it that way. Sort of like how the CPU now means the processor chip for a lot of people even though that's the processor chip, the CPU is the case and everything in it.

Anyways, one thing to keep in mind is that when you buy an external disk it needs to have it's own power supply otherwise you'll find that the disk won't spin up. You could also just use thumbdrives, but they aren't as durable and you really shouldn't put your swap on something like that.

Also keep in mind that the Owncloud client for Pi seems to be GUI only, so you'll have to use VNC or a monitor in order to set it up and use it. I'm still looking for a command line option as I'd rather not allocate the RAM to X and the display.

zproc

Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 am

Hmm, when i installed and used OwnCloud i didn't need X, i just installed it via SSH, and then used its web interface remotely to configure it.

francis264

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:31 am

Which package did you use? The only ones I was able to find required X for set up.

65coupei6

Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:08 pm

francis264 wrote:Which package did you use? The only ones I was able to find required X for set up.
I know you only have 4 posts. But Google "owncloud raspberry pi" There are many install guides. None that I have seen require X. Most use SSH.

francis264

Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 pm

65coupei6 wrote:
francis264 wrote:Which package did you use? The only ones I was able to find required X for set up.
I know you only have 4 posts. But Google "owncloud raspberry pi" There are many install guides. None that I have seen require X. Most use SSH.
I forgot the OP was talking about using one of these as a server. Server isn't an issue, the client is, but that's an issue for a different thread.

Return to “Networking and servers”