abhishekgodhani

Pi as a live tv streamer

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Hello everyone,
After a bit of research on the internet, I have found out that Raspberry Pi can be used as a tv server with Raspbian being the OS to be installed on the Pi. I am having a PCTV 73e stick(USB tv tuner). I am not sure if that would work with the Pi or not. I was looking at this link: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/P ... tick_(73e) and there it says that it is supported since kernel 2.6.26. So I am not sure how to check whether it will work with Pi or not and how to get the drivers for it.

All I want to do is use the Pi as a standalone server, connect it with my router via Ethernet and stream live tv on home network to watch it on mobile/laptop on the network. Also I wanted to know that which client can be used on laptop and mobile to watch the live tv being streamed. Also any other OS to be used instead of Raspbian, please recommend.

Thanks

DirkS

Re: Pi as a live tv streamer

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Good chance that will work.
You could for example use tvheadend (https://tvheadend.org). It has a version for the Pi in its repo (see https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheaden ... Repository).
This can be installed on any Raspbian installation.
You may need firmware (.fw file) as mentioned in the article you link to, but that should just be a download + copy action.
TV Tuners can be power greedy, so you may need to use a powered hub.

On the client side you could use Kodi / Xbmc with the tvheadend client addon installed.
Kodi can be run on most operating systems.

abhishekgodhani

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:43 am

Hi DirkS,
Thanks for your reply and helping me out by giving me the idea on how to carry on. Now that Raspberry Pi 2 has been released, would the power problem for a usb tv tuner be still there or could it be resolved, if I am not attaching any other usb peripherals. Also I wanted to make sure that I can install the tvheadend server after installing the Raspbian OS, which I can download from Raspberry pi's website.

I am unable to find kodi/xbmc application for Android that would allow me to watch tv, is there any specific application or I have to install any of the third party ones?

DirkS

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58 am

abhishekgodhani wrote:Now that Raspberry Pi 2 has been released, would the power problem for a usb tv tuner be still there or could it be resolved, if I am not attaching any other usb peripherals. Also I wanted to make sure that I can install the tvheadend server after installing the Raspbian OS, which I can download from Raspberry pi's website.
I have installed a tvheadend server on Raspbian. I installed Raspbian using raspbian-ua-netinst to get a fairly bare install, but it should also work on the 'official' version.
I don't know if the tv dongle works when directly plugged in a Pi2B, I'm using a model B for my tv server. You'll have to try it yourself. Don't forget to add the line 'max_usb_curent=1' in /boot/config.txt.
I am unable to find kodi/xbmc application for Android that would allow me to watch tv, is there any specific application or I have to install any of the third party ones?
Did you enable and configure the tvheadend PVR addon? I have installed the Android app from the kodi download pages on my Kindle and that seemed to support the PVR addon.
I can't remember if I actually tested it. Can't do it right now as my tvheadend server is about 150 miles from where I am now...

abhishekgodhani

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:30 am

Hello DirkS,

Thanks for advising me further. As for the android part I haven't done anything on that and that's why I was asking if there's any particular application that can be used with the tvheadend server. So I will have to first find and install an application on my android phone, then I don't know how to install the add-on that you're talking about, the tvheadend add-on that enables us to watch live tv.

gregeric

Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:56 am

TVHClient and TVHGuide are useful clients on android.

DirkS

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

abhishekgodhani wrote:So I will have to first find and install an application on my android phone, then I don't know how to install the add-on that you're talking about, the tvheadend add-on that enables us to watch live tv.
Kodi can be downloaded from http://kodi.tv/download/; can't say if the Android version works on your phone.
Kodi itself has options to add / configure the tvheadend PVR addon

Siamak

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi All,

Is this one compatible with RasPi 3 Running OAMC ?

August DVB-T202 USB Freeview Tuner Stick

Many thanks.

Siamak

Return to “Networking and servers”