Turn-key WordPress Server Image - PressPi

158 posts   Page 4 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
by Rionoskae » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 am
I found this article that lists some free DNS services - should prove useful:
http://lifehacker.com/the-best-free-alt ... 1561556205

As far as the IP address goes - It should be your external IP address. Your Pi's ip address would need to be forwarded in your router.
by Offcenter » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:05 pm
1. Yes, and right there on the list is the free DNS service that I'm using, NO-IP.

2. How can I hard code my external IP address into the server when my
external address is dynamic and could change at any time?
That is why I'm using NO-IP, so that I don't need to pay for
a static IP address.
NO-IP provides a snippet of code that runs on the Pi and continuously
watches my external IP address, and updates the server at NO-IP.com
whenever my IP changes, so NO-IP knows what IP address to forward
incoming requests to.

This setup works for everyone else. We're missing something here.
George in New Jersey.
(learning a little bit every day.)
(and darned confused most of the time!)
by Rionoskae » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:35 pm
Offcenter wrote:1. Yes, and right there on the list is the free DNS service that I'm using, NO-IP.

2. How can I hard code my external IP address into the server when my
external address is dynamic and could change at any time?
That is why I'm using NO-IP, so that I don't need to pay for
a static IP address.
NO-IP provides a snippet of code that runs on the Pi and continuously
watches my external IP address, and updates the server at NO-IP.com
whenever my IP changes, so NO-IP knows what IP address to forward
incoming requests to.

This setup works for everyone else. We're missing something here.

Just because you installed NO-IP on your raspberry pi - doesn't mean it's configured as a DNS service. You should have created a hostname ( that expires every 30 days under their free plans) that would act as your site address.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on Using NO-IP on the Raspberry PI:
* http://www.stuffaboutcode.com/2012/06/r ... using.html
* viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21566
by gtoal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:21 pm
I downloaded PressPi_v2.2.zip overnight and the zip file won't unpack.

Running md5sum on it gives 546f894026930e401727699017901fe6

Could you publish md5sums when you post an image please?

Has anyone else reported corruption with the current image?

thanks,

Graham
by DougieLawson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:49 am
Try installing 7z and using that to unzip it.

Windows: http://www.7-zip.org/
Raspbian: sudo apt-get install p7zip
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by Rionoskae » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:45 pm
gtoal wrote:I downloaded PressPi_v2.2.zip overnight and the zip file won't unpack.

Running md5sum on it gives 546f894026930e401727699017901fe6

Could you publish md5sums when you post an image please?

Has anyone else reported corruption with the current image?

thanks,

Graham

Please let me know if it makes any difference for you using 7zip / Winrar. I'll look into posting MD5sums on future revisions. Out of curiosity.

What OS/Program are you extracting the .zip file from?
by DigitalSynergy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 am
First off, I've enjoyed reading your posts and I'm interested to see how you have built your server image, I have rebuilt a pi2 as a web server 3 times now and the last was the best yet, secure, solid, I was in the middle of setting up webalizer before I backed up the image and due to a typo I rewrote permissions for everything, which only got worse as I attempted to fix it. I was able to get one of my hosted sites backed up through a google drive api which covers the sql database, but my second site wasn't so lucky, I am unsure as to where the sql database was stored, likely on the sd card if I had to guess, buried somewhere within the SQL installation files or something. hopefully I won't have to spend too much time getting it to work again, just a half a day or so, less than rebuilding a server. As soon as I decided to take a look at your image, Murphy's law intervened, the image I have is apparently slightly too big for my 7.4gb card, so I am going to look into possibly extracting everything with 7zip and seeing if I can't move what I need over, with my other system running Ubuntu if needed be. I'll say this, the pi2 projects have gotten me to learn a ton about Linux and servers in general. Any advice you could give on the SQL database storage location and extraction? what about getting your image to work on my as card? I suppose I can just find your build instructions and go that route.
by Rionoskae » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:13 pm
Unfortunately I don't have a resolution for your SQL database problem...I feel your pain on the whole permission type, Believe me, It's happened to us all at one point or another when learning Linux.

I do however have some sound advice for some of your other questions.

1.) If the image won't fit on your 7.4gb SD card - The easiest option is to simply grab a larger card (16gb). While you're at it - You might as well compare SD card performance and make sure you grab a snappy 16gb card for the image :) That said...there are ways to shrink the image, but I've always found them to be a huge pain in the ass.

2.) This is the only build image I didn't completely detail in my posts, Actually a large portion of the build (minus optimizations!) are linked to from another blog. Still, Should be all the documentation you need to re-construct the image from scratch if that's your goal.

3.) It may already be too late for this... But the latest image has a built in backup plugin, which makes backing up and restoring dead simple. I highly recommend using it for future builds!

~Cheers

In any event, Please keep me posted on your progress :)
by DigitalSynergy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:45 pm
Thanks for the reply.
So I went out and bought another Micro SD card, the local store only had 8gb and 16gb and they were fresh out of 16gb, so i figured I would get the 8 to check it out, its nearly full 8gb capacity 7.8gb which is about 400mb or so more than my other one and it says it has enough sectors but I'm still getting a error message about not enough space.. Looks like I will be ordering a 16gb microsd from amazon and rebuilding the server in the interim.

On the note of rebuilding, I've only gotten NginX to work once with Wordpress and it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience and when I tried to turn my Pi into a multi-site host it just wouldn't work. Then trying to get webalizer to work with Nginx was a bit of a nightmare too, other than nginx being light weight why do you choose it over other alternatives? What do you use for monitoring bandwidth and usage? I've taken to just accessing the logs directly, but I would love something that displays all of the read outs, preferably in a live / dynamically updating fashion. Any ideas about that?
It seems to me that if you have a head on your server that you could launch the GUI and should be relatively basic to get some monitoring tools, do you know of anything like this? I think it would be fun to be able to see what my server is doing at any given time. something like raindrop and resource monitor / event viewer for windows?
by Rionoskae » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:13 pm
Keep me posted if the 16gb works out for you :)

As for resource monitoring rasp control works pretty well to monitor ram, dpi usage. As far as bandwidth goes, I've used nagios to monitor multiple servers... But locally... I'm not sure off the top of my head.

On the topic of nginx, yea it did take awhile to configure. Chose to use nginx vs apache to lighten the resource requirements of the image.
by playandwin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:52 pm
I have spent last 12 hours trying to figure out how to access my presspi from outside lan.

I simply could not. I have created whole site ,it is up and running with desired design . I can easily access it from localhost and local lan.

However when I load site from outside , I only get text and css and images wont load because when you look at source code thier path still contains "http/presspi/..." instead of new site url. Even when you define new site url , I also tried to used plugin to change all links using "Velvet Blues Update URLs" plugin.

Also did not help.
by Rionoskae » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:22 pm
Did you checkout the Guide linked at the beginning of this thread?

It has a detailed section on what you need to do to make it accessible to the outside world.
http://everyday-tech.com/wordpresspi-wo ... pberry-pi/
by bradyso » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:53 am
Can I host more than one independent websites with 2 different domain names with this solution?
by DougieLawson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:16 pm
bradyso wrote:Can I host more than one independent websites with 2 different domain names with this solution?

Yes by configuring them as "virtual hosts". How you do that depends whether you're running Apache2, Lighttpd or NGINX.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.
by raspmart » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:41 pm
Is PressPi still alive? Seems there has not been an update to the image for a year :? :? :?
by mrmikesalmon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:17 am
Hi,

I keep getting the following error message:

Kernel Panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)

The SD I am writing to works fine with Noobs, is a 16GB ScanDisk, and doesn't have any other issues that I am aware of. I downloaded the image from presspi.com and have attempted the instal sevral times on two different sealed SD cards. Does anybody have any advice.

Thanks.
by Rionoskae » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:08 pm
raspmart wrote:Is PressPi still alive? Seems there has not been an update to the image for a year :? :? :?

Not dead - just been busy with other projects. I Still try to reply to everything posted in these threads and address issues as they come up. There isn't much more that really needs to be added to the image honestly... So right now it's just in break/fix & bug reporting mode.

mrmikesalmon wrote:I keep getting the following error message:

Kernel Panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)

The SD I am writing to works fine with Noobs, is a 16GB ScanDisk, and doesn't have any other issues that I am aware of. I downloaded the image from presspi.com and have attempted the instal sevral times on two different sealed SD cards. Does anybody have any advice.

I don't think the image is updated for Raspberry Pi 3 unit, I'm assuming this is the issue.

Can you verify which model Raspberry Pi you are using?

-Ryan
by raspmart » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:40 pm
Not dead - just been busy with other projects. I Still try to reply to everything posted in these threads and address issues as they come up. There isn't much more that really needs to be added to the image honestly... So right now it's just in break/fix & bug reporting mode.

O wow, thats great to hear, thanks! Have you ever thought on putting it on github or alike so other people can help developing it?
by Rionoskae » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 pm
raspmart wrote:O wow, thats great to hear, thanks! Have you ever thought on putting it on github or alike so other people can help developing it?

I may consider it for future projects, but for this one it's not really something that is possible at the moment. We are working with Western Digital to have PressPi available in their new PiDrive units - So i'd like to maintain complete control of the PressPi project.

If anyone wants to build it from scratch, you can find the entire build instructions on my blog.

~Cheers,
Rionoskae
by mrmikesalmon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 am
I don't think the image is updated for Raspberry Pi 3 unit, I'm assuming this is the issue.

Can you verify which model Raspberry Pi you are using?

-Ryan

Thanks, Ryan. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 (model B--900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU--1GB RAM) with a 16GB card.
I should also say that I'm a bit of a beginner. I've successfully booted Noobs on the same SD card so I'm fairly confident its not a problem with the card.
by Rionoskae » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:26 pm
Try downloading and running SD Formatter on your SD card and re-imaging the SD Card.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Let me know if that resolves it for you :)
by mrmikesalmon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm
I've tried that but it didn't work. :-(
by Rionoskae » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:56 pm
I'll boot up the image and run the usual updates on it and see if that helps. Needs to be updated for the v3 anyways.
by mrmikesalmon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:01 pm
Thanks. That's really appreciated. I'll keep trying and let you know how I get on.
by Rionoskae » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:54 pm
Ok - Booted it up and ran the updates.

Uploading v3.00 back to google drive right now.
Update: v3 is now be available

I should note that i didn't have the time to compress the image size, so you will need a card with 14.8+gb of free space if you want to try the latest version.
Last edited by Rionoskae on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.