HowTo - Mumble server

53 posts   Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3
by freemanbubu » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 am
hi

First, excuse my english :roll:

To install a VOIP server:

- don't try teamspeak, it wouldn't work....
- mumble is the solution :

first, install the server:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install mumble-server

then, configure superuser account
dpkg-reconfigure mumble-server

option : install the web management interface (still trying to configure it at this time)
sudo apt-get install mumble-server-web

DONE !

I will update this HowTo next coming days, with webinterface config, config file, ...

thx for reading
by Kazaii » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:02 am
Thanks for the tips! How does it run?

This is actually a great idea for utilizing the Raspberry Pi! It'd be nice to have a Mumble server for up to 5 people.
by empire » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 am
Kazaii wrote:Thanks for the tips! How does it run?

This is actually a great idea for utilizing the Raspberry Pi! It'd be nice to have a Mumble server for up to 5 people.

the RPi could easily handle a lot more than 5 people, especially if you didn't set the bandwidth mega high. I work at a company that hosts Mumble servers, so we have done a lot of benchmarking on both low-end and high-end machines. If you do manage to run a Mumble server with a fairly large number of people, I would be interested to see how many people it can actually handle :-)
http://rpi-blog.com - Raspberry Pi guides, tips, tricks, and resources :-)
by freemanbubu » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:19 pm
I try a "load test" with 10 users, it works like a charm !

I install the webadmin mumble-django. I'll post a tutorial asap :D
by empire » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 pm
freemanbubu wrote:I try a "load test" with 10 users, it works like a charm !

Thanks. Let us know if you get more people on :-)
by Furyio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:35 pm
Was just about to make a new thread about this, but probably better to ask here.

I have a Mumble server with 10,000 slots. It was a private server but as part of a new community driven project it will be available for pretty much anyone to use.

I was typically admin/moderating the server through the application itself. To note, I'm not hosting this on my Raspberry Pi. The only option was hosting external outside my home, as I didnt want my bandwidth wrecked.

I want to avail of one of the following.

a) Admin/moderate my server through SSH
b) Admin/moderate my server through a WebUI.

My Raspberry pi is an excellent device, allowing me access from my mobile on the go, and my desktop in work. I can also access the actual webpanel of the machine where it shosted, however it is very restrictive and does not allow me do anything other then change MOTD, edit user lists and ban lists and restart the server.

My server utilises the usergroups and ACL functionality and I want to be able to add new users to a group on the go. The process outlined for my server

1) New user mails a predefined address to request access
2) User is registered to the server (currently through application)
3) User is mailed their password with their assosiated nick
4) User is added to the relevant usergroup (Currently through application)

Points 2 and 4 I want to be able to achieve remotely, while not at home, hopefully utilising my raspberry Pi

Any ideas / help?

Can I use one of the webui applications I've seen, considering I dont host the server in my own network?

Thanks in advance

(Will defo setup a private 3 man server for the lols)
Raspberry Pi Debian Squeeze
IRC channels : #raspi.ie #d3.ie #att #airsofter.ie
by Kazaii » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 pm
freemanbubu wrote:I try a "load test" with 10 users, it works like a charm !

Wow, that's great! 10 users is more than plenty for my needs. I just wanted to host a social/semi-gaming server for friends. For the $35 price of the Pi and the 5w usage, it's the perfect device for the job.

Looking forward to further updates.
by freemanbubu » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:52 pm
To Furyio,

The webadmin django allow you to manage users, groups, channels, ....

look the webUI :

Users can register on the website, but I have a python error, i'm looking on solving it :)

To Kazaii,

I use my PI to host this gaming vocal server, and a joomla based website (forum, news, ..) for my friends (still in progress)

As you say, 5W and 35€... best power/price you can find !
by empire » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:12 pm
My (headless) RPi uses a little under 5w, so even better :D
by Furyio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:15 pm
@freemanbubu

That looks interesting. But does it hookup to an server you host, or to one third party.

You see I want to use something like you've linked, but have it be active for a mumble server hosted by a third party, and I don't have any access to the server box its hosted on.

The Pi comes in as I thought I'd host the webgui from there, and have it link to the mumble server hosted third party.
by freemanbubu » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am
oops :?

I didn't understand what you mean first time... sry

The WebUI works only with the server on the Raspi. It work with the mumble-server database (mysql for me)

To admin a remote server, I don't know if any tools exists.... :(
by Furyio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:51 pm
Pity, remote admin is definitly something I'm after

Probably not possible since I don't have permissions to the box its hosted on :(
by Kazaii » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 pm
My order date was today for my Raspberry Pi!

Now just 11 more weeks until I actually have one! Hah! :lol:

In the meantime, I got impatient. I installed the mumble server on my iMac G4 running MintPPC. It also has a 700mhz processor (PPC) but it has about 512 MB ram

The server runs smooth as butter so far, even from my phone on the go! Now I just need to stress it with users. Looking forward to your future tips!
by empire » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:34 pm
To those of you that are running Mumble on their RPi - If you notice that it starts to use a lot of CPU with lots of people online, reduce the bitrate in the settings.
by JungleBoogie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:42 am
I was able to install mumble but I'm not sure how to use the web interface or how to configure the server file. Is it possible to have someone with the mumble server running to write up a guide on how to get it working?

I appreciate any assistance with this.
Happy Hacking!
by freemanbubu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 am
Hi;
(again, excuse my english)

First time, I try the mumble-web-interface and mumble-django, but i don't think it's usefull
When I migrate to raspbian, I just install the server, and I manage users and rights from the client... it's easier.

The config file is
 /etc/mumble-server.ini

I don't configure a lot of settings :
autobanAttempts = 7
autobanTimeframe = 120
autobanTime = 600

welcometext="<br />Bienvenue sur le bô serveur de  <b>Fab !</b>.<br />Mumble 1.2.3 recommandé :)<br />"

port=64001

users=15

I don't try ICE config, SSL certificates;
Database on SQLlite (I had issue when using MySQL in previous install)

That's all !

Users login and register on the server from their client, I manage rights from my client (admin account)
by JungleBoogie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 am
Thanks so much, freemanbubu!!

I now have it installed and working great on my lan. I think I was just over complicating the install and config.
Happy Hacking!
by Caelis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:44 am
Hello everyone!

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a few quick questions.

To begin, I think that I set up the mumble server correctly (for the most part). I have attempted to edit the mumble-server.ini and have gotten mixed results (I changed the welcome text and it worked, but everything else did not work). I followed this guide and another guide located here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Murmurguide#Configure_OS

After editing it, I couldn't save it to the desktop and deleting the one in the /etc folder, so I could manually move the file from the desktop into the /etc folder. I tried connecting from my roommates computer and it just wouldn't connect when I entered in the information; however, the LAN version worked fine. I went to: http://whatismyipaddress.com and I set that IP address as the address to connect to when trying to access the server.

Anyone have any tips or a guide on how I can configure my ini file correctly? what might I be doing wrong? I'm new to this so a walk through would be nice! Thanks!
by ghans » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:10 am
First , did you forward the port(s)?
Second , are you allowed to forward the the port(s) ?
Is this your network at all ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by JungleBoogie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:17 am
If you're not root, you will need to type

sudo vi /etc/mumble-server.ini

to edit the file.

Once its edited, type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mumble-server
to start the server.
Happy Hacking!
by freemanbubu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:22 am
Caelis wrote:Hello everyone!

Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a few quick questions.

To begin, I think that I set up the mumble server correctly (for the most part). I have attempted to edit the mumble-server.ini and have gotten mixed results (I changed the welcome text and it worked, but everything else did not work). I followed this guide and another guide located here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Murmurguide#Configure_OS

After editing it, I couldn't save it to the desktop and deleting the one in the /etc folder, so I could manually move the file from the desktop into the /etc folder. I tried connecting from my roommates computer and it just wouldn't connect when I entered in the information; however, the LAN version worked fine. I went to: http://whatismyipaddress.com and I set that IP address as the address to connect to when trying to access the server.

Anyone have any tips or a guide on how I can configure my ini file correctly? what might I be doing wrong? I'm new to this so a walk through would be nice! Thanks!

Hi,

If you can reach your server from LAN and not from WAN, you have to check your port redirection on your router (Internet provider modem)

check the port in mumble-server.ini, on line:
port=xxxxx

Then, NAT this port from WAN to LAN, on your server IP (TCP and/or UDP)
You can now reach your server from WAN.
by nex » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:53 am
Hi Guys,
so has anyone successfully got Mumble-Django to work on the Wheezy install yet. Cos for some reason i can't get mine to work. If anyone has a guide that would be great.
by freemanbubu » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 am
Hi,

During my first install, I try mumble Django (see post http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=106306#p106306) , following this doc : http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Mumble-Django

I don't remember, but you need to configure your webserver to allow access to the website created by mumble-django.

It's works, but finally, I prefer admin from my client, it's easier (personal server, 10 users max....)
by Curtis669 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:38 pm
I'm trying to install a mumble server into my raspberry, I've installed the mumble server, I've set a password and I'm able to connect.
The problem is I can't manage the root channel from the client. Should I upgrade an user like TS or something like that? I wouldn't want to install the web server manager, I think is better to manage through the program.

Thank You
by freemanbubu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 am
Hi,

You set a password for connection to the server, or the superuser password ?

You have to connect as SuperUser with password set with
dpkg-reconfigure mumble-server
)

When you are connected as SuperUser, you can config all your channels, users, ACL, ...
Create your admin account with all privileges, SuperUser can't talk on channels....