Massi

Monitoring PI services with SNMP?

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Hello,
i've just installed snmpd on my pi and now i can monitor "common" things like uptime, cpu, ram and so on..
But my first target was to monitor the status of local services (like the output of service {name} status
Haven't found anything like that. Am i missing something or this is not a info available to snmp?

Thanks

DougieLawson

Re: Monitoring PI services with SNMP?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:43 am

Search Google for "raspberry pi snmp cacti". I think that stuff does what you want.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Massi

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 am

thanks dougie, but i don't think i'll install also cacti on my poor raspi.. and i haven't seen cacti monitoring system services status..
i thought there could be some specific OID to monitor services, but maybe simply there is not..

sad

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:54 am

pattagghiu wrote:thanks dougie, but i don't think i'll install also cacti on my poor raspi.. and i haven't seen cacti monitoring system services status..
i thought there could be some specific OID to monitor services, but maybe simply there is not..

sad
http://thenated0g.com/2013/06/22/raspbe ... nas-wsnmp/
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Massi

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:01 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
pattagghiu wrote:thanks dougie, but i don't think i'll install also cacti on my poor raspi.. and i haven't seen cacti monitoring system services status..

sad
http://thenated0g.com/2013/06/22/raspbe ... nas-wsnmp/
Thank you too, but this also does not answer my question.
In the specific, qnap nas (i own one) has a nice MIB file to download that explains all OIDs available.
None of those speak about services.
Cacti is "only" a (big) piece of software that uses snmp and graphs data.
I'm not looking for this. I only want to know if my service called PIPPO is up and running. That's all.

gdt

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:50 am

The host resources MIB presents the UNIX process table to NetSNMP. Configure your SNMP collector to search that table for the process you wish to monitor.

NetSNMP also has a MIB which will run a arbitrary command and present the stdout of that to a collector. See this document.

AndyDale

How do I make my RPi respond to a SNMP broadcast query?

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:46 pm

I’d like to detect all the RPi on my network. I’ve configured them all to be SNMP Agents but they do not respond to a SNMP broadcast query while all my other SNMP devices do. Does anybody know how to enable the RPi to respond to a SNMP broadcast query?
Cheers
AndyDale
Cheers
Andy Dale

gdt

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 am

Net-SNMP exposes the UNIX process table in a MIB. It will also run arbitrary commands for you to check service availability (as opposed to process run state).

I tried using collectd in my Pi, but it's too heavy and steals too many resources from the running service to be useful. So Net-SNMP feels like the right approach.

Return to “Networking and servers”