Blue Blue Spider

Network Monitoring

Wed May 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi everyone

Please forgive what is likely a basic thing but is there a way to have a pi connected to a network via ethrnet cable and it to constantly monitor devices connecting to and disconnecting from the network? I would prefer something along the free lines that would run on a model b pi. Ive seen a few things about apps to do what i want but they are run manually rather than constant or polled (say at 30 seconds maybe) i have no interest in capturing the data the machines are passing (in case anyone is security concerned)

Thanks in advance

Blue

DeeJay

Re: Network Monitoring

Thu May 29, 2014 7:16 am

This sounds very similar to this recent enquiry.
Ive seen a few things about apps to do what i want but they are run manually rather than constant or polled

Why not simply run one of the apps that does what you want under the control of a shell script that loops repeatedly?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

lazarus78

Thu May 29, 2014 6:40 pm

DeeJay wrote:Why not simply run one of the apps that does what you want under the control of a shell script that loops repeatedly?
Maybe a case of terminology difference? When I hear or read "apps", I think phone apps.

bullwinkle

Thu May 29, 2014 7:01 pm

Hello,
this is what I've done (was playing around with this today!), it is not exactly what you have asked, but it might give you some clues. I am not an expert by any means so you/others could improve on this....

I've set up a small cron job to check for unknown devices based on a list of valid MAC codes on my LAN. I use some simple grep commands to compare the output from

Code: Select all

sudo nmap 192.168.1.0/24 -sP > file1.txt
to my list of valid devices.

my notes are here if you are interested.

http://dumb-looks-free.blogspot.fr/2014 ... vices.html
good luck

Blue Blue Spider

Thu May 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi

Sorry i did use the wrong word saying apps, it was in my mind because i use an 'app' called fing on my phone and tablet that scans the network and reports everything connected including host name, ip, mac and allows a note to be added to each identifying them - perfect for what i want apart from i need it automated and logging, constant scanning or timed if possible, ive seen things like solarwinds and thats just way way too much for my humble needs.

I should also add that i am not quite a linux novice but most of my experience was around 15 years ago with things like red hat snd some terminal unix systems, i thought the pi may help me re-develop some old skills

Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies. I will look up that site and have a good read there

Many thanks again

Blue

Return to “Networking and servers”