bascule

Media Server Madness

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 am

I'm a Linux noob so probably missed something fundamental, but here goes:

I currently serve media (mostly WMV and DivX/Xvid) to the xbox 360s in our house using Serviio running on an old Via mini itx. I'm trying (with some success) to do the same with my Pi.

I'm running SqueezePlug Debian, and succesfully set up Webmin and have a nice big 2tb Samba share. I 've tried the following media servers:

MiniDNLA - Only picks up about 30% of my movies. I can set custom thumbnails but they don't show on the xbox. They do with BubbleUPNP on Android

LMS - Picks up all my movies, but isn't visible to the xbox. Shows in and streams to BubbleUPNP

Twonky - works perfect, but costs money :lol:

I also managed to install & configure Serviio but whilst this was visible to the Xbox I had the same issue as MiniDNLA in that it didn't show all my movies. Some WMVs show, some don't, which is a bit strange since I encoded them all the same way (same bit rate, WMV9 video, WMAPRO 5.1 surround).

Am I missing something obvious as to why not all movies are picked up by some servers? I'll post a guide for Serviio if I can resolve this, as it's been my weapon of choice for a while now.
- learning the hard way. Who needs to walk when running is more fun

obarthelemy

Re: Media Server Madness

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:55 pm

I haven't tried minidlna on my Pi yet. Since all movies do show up on Android, I would assume there is something in the file description that flags them as "not playable on xbox". I have no clue what though.

Jancis

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 am

i am happy with mediatomb. i can configure it so that even my tv (samsung) can properly use it. been using it for years, raspberry has no problems with it so far (one month) too.

spudy12

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:34 pm

why not buy more Pi's to replace the xbox's and run XBMC on them? :P (thats what im going to do anyway!)

obarthelemy

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm

I just had the same thing happen with minidlna not showing some files to neither of my android dlna clients, but listing them in xbmc on windows. Wrapper format shenanigans I'm sure.

bascule

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:33 am

Sorry if the original post wasn't clear:

MiniDLNA/Serviio - didn't index all my videos. The missing movies weren't visible on any client (android, PS3, 360 or WMP). I could see that some movies were skipped on the Serviio console

LMS - Did index everything, but I couldn't see the server from the 360, only Android (didn't try the WMP or PS3)

So I plumped for Twonky. The free licence expired within 1 day, but the nice people at twonky gave me another 30 day key.

Custom thumbs (moviename.jpg) had me foxed for a while but they updated later as if by magic.

I'd love to buy another three or four Pis and use as clients, but then I'd have to convert 700+ movies (all legal, btw) into a hardware supported format! :roll:

Happy to post a tut if anyone thinks it useful.

Orangey

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:42 am

Yes please! I'm very keen on turning my Pi into a media server and have more or less zero linux experience, would intend on using twonky.

IntnsRed

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:05 pm

I'm awaiting my Pi, but am lurking to pick up tid-bits as others walk along the bleeding edge. ;) I think the key to any media server is going to be the video player, or more specifically, the available video codecs. My current strategy is to just use an NFS mount to access the files, and then whatever codecs and player will work.

bascule

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Zoinks, forgot to put up a how to based on my experiences. Work gets in the way :D

Samba sharing might be ok but I've read it's not fast enough for hd content. Also depends on whether the device you use to play the content can access shares. you'll need to set up a dlna or upnp server if you intend to stream to an xbox, ps3 or compliant blu ray or tv.

Return to “Networking and servers”