Starlight5

Re: RPI as a hotspot - which WiFi adapter to use for many us

Sun May 31, 2015 12:57 am

MrEngman, thanks for the feedback.

Rcarter85

Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:52 pm

To the OP...
Have you looked into open-mesh ap's. Might save you a lot of head aches.

My .02 cents

john0945

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:13 am

I might be wrong but buying a professional external AP would cost a lot more and being a low-cost project that was not an option (even if the AP would do everything I need).
I'm building a couple Rachel Pi servers (http://pi.worldpossible.org/) and my solution for WiFi has been to use a TP-Link MR3020 access point. It's powered with 5V, throughput up to 150 Mbps, connects to the Pi with Ethernet, and quite small (fits in my palm). Setup was much simpler than hostapd, which I couldn't get working with my Edimax EW-7881Un adapter.

Here in South Africa a WiFi adapter costs around $15, and the MR3020 is $30 on Amazon.

chrisvollo

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi,

Which wifi adapter/chipset are you currently using?

How did you end up achieving best results?

I am assuming you are using hostapd?

If so, what is your hostapd configuration?

Thanks so much!

aartek

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 pm

I've bought Ralink rt5370 (of aliexpress) but I have problem with using it as hotspot. Only my iPhone 5s can connect to hotspot created on raspi with this adapter. I cannot connect with my PC (Broadcom 802.11), Nexus 5 or iPhone 6.

Did someone have similar issue?

ftheirs

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to build a sensor net and I'll start with a few nodes but I'd like to be able to connect 100 (maximum). Is there any news in this field? Which one is better Ralink RT5370 or Realtek RTL8188CUS? Any other option to consider?

PS: is really hard to get the 8188CUS in Argentina. I'm wondering if someone could explain me what are the differences between the versions and if all would work as the CUS. :)

Many thanks!
Fernando

gkiss1988

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:08 am

ftheirs wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm trying to build a sensor net and I'll start with a few nodes but I'd like to be able to connect 100 (maximum). Is there any news in this field? Which one is better Ralink RT5370 or Realtek RTL8188CUS? Any other option to consider?

PS: is really hard to get the 8188CUS in Argentina. I'm wondering if someone could explain me what are the differences between the versions and if all would work as the CUS. :)
Hi,

not sure about your exact needs but if you are looking for a cheap yet powerful solution and don't mind using additional hardware, I suggest to go for a Mikrotik device. They provide strong signal and can service as many as 2007 clients in ap-bridge mode. Some examples:

https://routerboard.com/RBGroove52HPn
https://routerboard.com/RB911-2Hn

Note that these come with RouterOS license level 3 which means they can only work as WiFi clients. You have to purchase a device with license level 4 to have AP functionality:

https://routerboard.com/products/group/20

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gergely

ftheirs

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Hey! Thanks for your reply! At the moment I'm looking for the cheapest solution but I didn't know about Mikrotik's products. Maybe I could use them for another application.

I'll try first with the RTL8188CUS and RT5370 and if they don't work I'd consider your suggestion.

Best regards,
Fernando

guiboy

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Hello

I would like to use a TP-LINK Archer T2UH (chipset MT7610U) to transform my RPi 3 into a 5 GHz Access Point using Hostapd

I managed to install the driver for access to wifi networks (thanks to Mr Engmann!)

Now I am stuck trying to configure Hostapd.conf file as it seems the nl80211 built-in driver is not compliant with MT7610U chipset.
HAs someone any clue on how to solve this?

If not, has anybody tried a working 5Ghz long range / high gain USB dongle?

Thanks in advance for your help
Guillaume

danrulz98

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:28 pm

Not sure if this'll be helpful, but I recall finding a bug report in the most recent version of hostapd. I can't find it now or I'd link to it, but I noticed that I was able to bring up hostapd if I ifdown'd wlan0 first. To make this happen at boot, I used a startup script (crontab). So that might fix some issues with not being able to bring up hostapd, if you haven't tried that already.

Overall, I've had the best luck with Ralink based adapters (The older WiPi adapter was Ralink based. I don't have one of the newer ones yet).
I've spent far too much time getting the Realtek drivers and custom versions of hostapd running, and I'm tired of trying so I'm just not going to buy any more Realtek ones.
I've heard mixed reports about Atheros adapters, but I did have a TP-Link TL-WN722N (Atheros AR9271) working with the aforementioned tweak to the startup sequence.

Remember that your time is worth something too, and just because you can spend $3 less on a wireless adapter that requires many more hours of browsing forum threads and stackexchange comments isn't really a savings.

I also noticed that recently, it seems that things just work better on a Pi 3. On a Pi 2, I've been having issues getting things to start on boot, run stable, etc. Put the same card in a Pi 3 and everything works perfect! So I'm not sure what's up with that.

ir0b0t

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:42 am

I tried using TP-LINK TL-WN823N as an access point in Rapberry Pi 3. I hosted a video file using apache server. Not more than 10 people are able to simultaneously watch the video. I am not able to figure out what the limitation is (firmware limitation or rtl8192cu driver limitation or something else). Also, the RAM and CPU of Pi are not even close to full. Tested the same on a laptop with ubuntu as well and the results are same. Could anyone give insights on this issue ?

danrulz98

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:14 pm

aartek wrote:I've bought Ralink rt5370 (of aliexpress) but I have problem with using it as hotspot. Only my iPhone 5s can connect to hotspot created on raspi with this adapter. I cannot connect with my PC (Broadcom 802.11), Nexus 5 or iPhone 6.

Did someone have similar issue?
Are you running DNS and DHCP services? :D

ftheirs

Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey! I have tried to compile RTL8188CUS and RT5370 with no success. My system's kernel is too old and it's not standard so try to make it work it's the hardest path. I'd like to know if you actually have tested MR3020 and how many clients can it handle. Also, It would be fantastic if you have some others metrics like coverage distance, stability or anything you could tell us.

Thanks!
Fernando

john0945 wrote:
I might be wrong but buying a professional external AP would cost a lot more and being a low-cost project that was not an option (even if the AP would do everything I need).
I'm building a couple Rachel Pi servers (http://pi.worldpossible.org/) and my solution for WiFi has been to use a TP-Link MR3020 access point. It's powered with 5V, throughput up to 150 Mbps, connects to the Pi with Ethernet, and quite small (fits in my palm). Setup was much simpler than hostapd, which I couldn't get working with my Edimax EW-7881Un adapter.

Here in South Africa a WiFi adapter costs around $15, and the MR3020 is $30 on Amazon.

Cutts123

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 am

@gkiss1988: Are you still around these message boards? If so i have a similar project id like to talk with u about. Very similar to your original project post. I tried to pm u but it stuck in my inbox.

duybarca99

Re: RPI as a hotspot - which WiFi adapter to use for many users?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 am

Hello. I using bcm43143 - wifi adapter in build of Pi3. Can my Aaccess Point allow 20 clients to connect at the same time?

gkiss1988

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 pm

duybarca99 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am
Hello. I using bcm43143 - wifi adapter in build of Pi3. Can my Aaccess Point allow 20 clients to connect at the same time?
Hi,

I'm not sure about the hardware/driver limits but it should work with 20 concurrent clients according to this comment.

I can't make any test as I don't own a Pi3 but I wouldn't expect high performance in such a setup while under load, especially when using encryption. If you don't have any special needs regarding the wireless setup, I'd advise to use a professional AP instead, eg. some Ubiquity or Cisco Meraki device. For low-budget projects, Mikrotik should be the way to go IMHO. I recently bought a hAP ac^2 unit to be used as a home router and I have to admit it has very good wired and wireless performance on both bands (there were some patches released to RouterOS recently improving wireless performance quite noticably).

duybarca99

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 am

gkiss1988 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 pm
duybarca99 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am
Hi,

I'm not sure about the hardware/driver limits but it should work with 20 concurrent clients according to this comment.

I can't make any test as I don't own a Pi3 but I wouldn't expect high performance in such a setup while under load, especially when using encryption. If you don't have any special needs regarding the wireless setup, I'd advise to use a professional AP instead, eg. some Ubiquity or Cisco Meraki device. For low-budget projects, Mikrotik should be the way to go IMHO. I recently bought a hAP ac^2 unit to be used as a home router and I have to admit it has very good wired and wireless performance on both bands (there were some patches released to RouterOS recently improving wireless performance quite noticably).
My company needs an access point with the captive portal for wifi marketing purposes(An open wifi + captive portal containing ads about the my company + then redirect customers to our website). My company has many Pi3, and I want to implement the project with it. So in order to provide high-speed internet (only for reading online newspapers and checking mail) for about 20 concurrent customers, what should we do? (A more expensive network service plan? Or another wifi adapter for Pi3?)

gkiss1988

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm

duybarca99 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 am
My company needs an access point with the captive portal for wifi marketing purposes(An open wifi + captive portal containing ads about the my company + then redirect customers to our website). My company has many Pi3, and I want to implement the project with it. So in order to provide high-speed internet (only for reading online newspapers and checking mail) for about 20 concurrent customers, what should we do? (A more expensive network service plan? Or another wifi adapter for Pi3?)
Well, I haven't used a Pi recently so I've got no idea but maybe some other good folks on this forum will be able to help you. I'm pretty sure the Pi3 has a lot better performance compared to the original RPi so I'd say give it a try, make some tests and figure out whether it fits your needs or not.

As a captive portal solution, coovachilli used to be a very good option but I'm not sure if it's still being maintained and in case it's a dead project what alternatives are out there currently. Hopefully someone will be able to assist you with that, as well.

Sorry I couldn't help you any more than that. :(

Return to “Networking and servers”