teeth_03

File Size Limit Issues with Samba

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:48 pm

I can't seem to be able to copy large files (>~4GB) to my server without them reporting as 0KB on my Windows PCs. I am using a USB Hard Drive formatted ext4 with both Samba and NFS setup.

Any thoughts on where to look for the problem?

Joe Schmoe

Re: File Size Limit Issues with Samba

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:52 pm

YOu need to make sure it is mounted as "cifs" and not "smb". And that all the components of the chain understand and support cifs.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

teeth_03

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm not really following, but I needed to elaborate so I apologize.

My Raspberry Pi IS my server, that I'm sharing on my local home network. I'm not sure about cifs or what I need to do to get it to share properly.

Keep in mind, I've been using my share for about 10 months, using smaller files. But once I start using large ones, I notice the issue.

Is there something with Samba I need to do or should I be using some else entirely?

teeth_03

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:36 pm

It looks the file gets corrupted when it copies. I made a Linux Mint Virtual Box machine so I could access it via NFS, and I verified from SSHing into the server, that both show the 15 GB file as only 4.3.

So at this point, I am going to copy the file using the VM with NFS to see if it copies and the Windows PCs can see it.

If this does work, are there any ideas why copying these large files with Windows corrupt the files?

EDIT:

I think I found the problem:

I had this in the config which I think was causing problems:

protocol = lanman2

Return to “Networking and servers”