arfonzo

RDP into your RPi

Wed May 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop a note to say that I have been able to RDP into my headless RPi, in a fairly standard way, if anyone is interested:

I'm using Arch. I won't repeat the steps here, as you can find them at the Arch wiki/following the standard documentation for your distro. I'm using xrdp-git, which uses tigervnc. tigervnc took quite a while to compile. They are in AUR; do the standard edits to each PKGBUILD to enable building ARM architecture.

Screenshot: http://poorcoding.com/art/pub/screensho ... -xfce4.png.

Regards,
arfonzo

Killerbee

Re: RDP into your RPi

Thu May 31, 2012 7:38 am

Hello arfonzo

I would be interested to know how you did it. This is a forum where people want to learn something :)
Could you please write a small how-to? please

Thanks in advance
KB

mkeeley

Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Bit of a pointless post if you're not going to share how you did it or at least post an actual link.

arfonzo

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:34 pm

mkeeley wrote:Bit of a pointless post if you're not going to share how you did it or at least post an actual link.
I did share how I did it: exactly the packages and where to get the documentation. No need to repeat already well-known sources of information.

Too lazy too google? LMGTFY: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrdp

Kind regards,
arfonzo

simaster

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:00 pm

ive just had a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrdp

I am sorry but if Pi and this forum is to be any use to beginers then even this page may have to be rewriten.

In some ways Linux fails because of documentation that looks harder than the app its for, but being unsupported many pi users / new users will leave.

If I am wrong then please correct me, but the Pi is for first users and this forum is here to support those users.

arfonzo

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi simaster,
simaster wrote:ive just had a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrdp

I am sorry but if Pi and this forum is to be any use to beginers then even this page may have to be rewriten.

In some ways Linux fails because of documentation that looks harder than the app its for, but being unsupported many pi users / new users will leave.

If I am wrong then please correct me, but the Pi is for first users and this forum is here to support those users.
I was under the impression that the Pi is currently being provided to developers for testing, in preparation for the general public to use. Based on this, I expected most people on this forum to be developers, and therefore somewhat familiar with the basics of Linux and development.

Your complaint regarding documentation is somewhat valid, although this is the general problem with Linux, not with the Raspberry Pi (you did know you were buying a Linux device, right?)

At which point did the Xrdp wiki page fail you? If you provide some more details, I can point you in the right direction.

I can respond to specific requests for help/details/error messages; I don't think it's fair to expect me to teach beginners how to use Linux, use Arch, or read documentation.

I went through the steps myself, and found them enough for anyone who reads the page(s) and knows how to use Arch Linux at a basic level to get it installed and working. There's no magic going on here specific to the Raspberry Pi.

Kind regards,
arfonzo

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to prefer RDP over the more commonly used Unix-y tools, such as VNC?

I've always assumed that the reason is compatibility with the Windows-y world - and that the prime reason why things like "RDP for non-Windows" are designed and coded is primarily for "bullet point" reasons - i.e., so that some PHB won't be able to dismiss Linux out-of-hand by saying something like "Oh, doesn't run MS's RDP: Can't use it: Goodbye!"

But I don't think that sort of thinking is applicable here, is it?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

piways_and_highways

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi Guys, related to this, not RDP but VNC.

I just posted on the forum how to start a VNC server each time your Pi boots.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =50&t=7395

Its for the debian image.

arfonzo

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Joe Schmoe,
Joe Schmoe wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to prefer RDP over the more commonly used Unix-y tools, such as VNC?
For me, yes. I have a Windows host as my desktop, and I use RDP as my primary remote desktop solution. I prefer to run RDP, even to unices, wherever possible. With integrated audio, clipboard, and device/port routing, RDP is my preferred protocol.

Unfortunately, in my experience, RDP services on Linux are quite poor. They never work as solidly, and look as good as RDPing into a Windows host.

Technically, you are adding another service by using xrdp -> tigervnc -> X. This particular solution requires VNC. If you want to reduce the services on your RPi, you may prefer VNC over RDP in this scenario.

Regards,
arfonzo

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:35 pm

FWIW (which isn't much, 'tis true), I've never felt the need for any of the "fancy" sharing (i.e., other than screen, mouse, keyboard). This is not to say that others won't or don't find it useful.

But I think you've hit the nail on the head - that even though those fancy things are available in the Windows world, they are generally not available in the Unix/Linux world. So, in that context, VNC is "just as good".

None of which should, of course, be interpreted in any way as saying that you shouldn't be working on this or posting about it here...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

KevinB

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:17 am

Killerbee wrote:
I would be interested to know how you did it. This is a forum where people want to learn something :)
Could you please write a small how-to? please
I did this on Debian:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xrdp
That's all there was to it.

geev03

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks KevinB.

Here is a screenshot Image of the remote session to Raspberry Pi.

Code: Select all

login as: pi
Server refused our key
pi@192.168.1.233's password:
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #90 Wed Apr 18 18:23:05 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon Jun 11 22:47:09 2012 from amp.home
pi@raspberrypi:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        190836     106580      84256          0      10508      51528
-/+ buffers/cache:      44544     146292
Swap:            0          0          0
pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo -i
root@raspberrypi:~# apt-get install xrdp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  tightvncserver
Suggested packages:
  tightvnc-java
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  tightvncserver xrdp
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,064 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,305 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main tightvncserver armel 1.3.9-6.1+b1 [809 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main xrdp armel 0.5.0~20100303cvs-6 [255 kB]
Fetched 1,064 kB in 0s (2,269 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package tightvncserver.
(Reading database ... 49987 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking tightvncserver (from .../tightvncserver_1.3.9-6.1+b1_armel.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xrdp.
Unpacking xrdp (from .../xrdp_0.5.0~20100303cvs-6_armel.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up tightvncserver (1.3.9-6.1+b1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/tightvncserver to provide /usr/bin/vncserver (vncserver) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/Xtightvnc to provide /usr/bin/Xvnc (Xvnc) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/tightvncpasswd to provide /usr/bin/vncpasswd (vncpasswd) in auto mode.
Setting up xrdp (0.5.0~20100303cvs-6) ...
Generating xrdp RSA keys......
Generating 512 bit rsa key...

ssl_gen_key_xrdp1 ok

saving to /etc/xrdp/rsakeys.ini

done (done).
Starting Remote Desktop Protocol server : xrdp sesman.
root@raspberrypi:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        190836     149064      41772          0      14060      86468
-/+ buffers/cache:      48536     142300
Swap:            0          0          0

captaing

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Brilliant, this is just what i was looking for as.

I've got to admin though when xrdp was mentioned a posts in the first thing I tried was
sudo apt-get install xrdp

and a few seconds later I had rdp'd into my Pi.

cheers

HZimmer

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Does anyone know if clipboard works with xrdp and w7 client?

Tubby1957

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm

greetings all from Oz
as a new user i thought since i use rdp all the time on all my windows boxes that it would be a great idea to do the same on the PI. As no matter what I do it just is no there on my windows network and finding the IP address of the PI,......well one of these weeks I might finally figure out how to find it?

I thought since reading all the hype that this Linux looks like the way to go, went out and brought two RPI's and got them working first go by loading an image to the high speed SD cards. So I have the basic functionality of the PI and time to start and learn Linux,.... however how wrong was I?

Now i am new to Linux and the very reason for being on here is I thought to get some help.
However all I see when reading through these post is miss information and people who tell us how easy it is.
Help files and texts are completely misleading and from a dos/windows user found it all very disapointing.
So from my conclusions all these RPI,s are a time waster.
They are advertised as a leaning tool for people of all ages and an entry level into Linux.
This is completely miss leading advertising in every sence.
I feel if you want the look and feel of Linux then Umbuntu is probly a much better option as for the beginner, but cetainly an RPI in not place for a beginner like myself.

So I have absolutely no hope of getting what in windows RDP is a 2 minute exersice but with the RPI is an impossible mission, two evenings wasted trying to get the xrdp file to finnal extract and gods knows where it go or how to get it working from here??
So very dissapointing guys as I truely thought you could do a little better than this?
Kind regards to all but my pies a destaned for the trash can...Tubby

ghans

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 pm

If you want help , you will have to give us more information.
First what version of Linux are you using ? Raspbian or soft-float ? Arch ?
Are you using the newest image ?
What did you already try (i.e. commands entered etc.) ? What error messages do you get ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Tubby1957

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Greetings Ghans
Thankyou for your kind offer of help,.. however it was, and is not, my intention to waste the groups time
on this matter but to advise new potencial users, not to waste their time with these devices as they are clearly NOT for the beginner.
Secondly, that there is and I am testement to this,.. so much misinformation on these lists that as a newby I and i,m sure others will find the content well above our current level of understanding.

I have spent many, many hours trolling over all of the help that is available and have myself asked many of the questions to myself verbally, that are asked on this very thread, like how does one come up with this explanation only to see the reply quoted as it has already been covered elsewhere on another discussion. Only to attempt to follow other threads where someone else will comment and say no dont do this, as it will not work with something else if you have some other thing loaded,....and on and on it goes.
Its all back yard stuff with nothing solid that any of you say will actually work and you just have to read when it does not work the 50 different versions of why it didnt......I give up
Ok enough said!
I have no intention of taking up anyone elses time with this and will right off these two Rasperry PI,s to experience.
Kind regards Tubby

ghans

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Why don't you want to help us guide you ?
That's what forums are for !
Your posting history only shows 3 posts.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

coetzeec2380

Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi,

setting up XRDP on a debian package for the PI is is simple , however doing this on Arch linux is a whole different problem. the problem is in the first few steps of the install wiki. It mentions you can download it at a link then mentions about paste bins. its not clear as to do we now type wget "https://wwww......" to get the package and the extract it with tar or do we simply type http://pastebin.com/...... wait for the pacakage ...... there is a lot of uncertainty regarding getting it up and running from a download and install point rather than configure which i guess will be a whole new problem .

the debian package setup is much easier in this regard, i would also expect the same for of simplicity from the arch flavor because after all its a educational tool or intended as such.

pleas could someone doe a screen paste (console paste) of a Arch setup of xrdp
regards

Return to “Networking and servers”