Adr3nl

SMB server file size limit

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello everyone!

I've recently decided to use my raspberry as a home server/storage. I've used my 1TB storex external hdd to do so.
It is currently formated as NTFS and after installing ntfs-3g im able to write any content. Then i installed samba and all needed dependencies to make it available to the network.
Here is the smb.conf:

Code: Select all

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = raspnas server
netbios name = raspnas
dns proxy = no

### Logging
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

### Authentication
security = user
map to guest = pi

#======================= Sharered Folders =======================

[media]
path = /media
guest ok = yes
guest account = ftp
browseable = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
writeable = yes
admin users = everyone
I've tested the setup with a windows computer an it worked flawlessly with any file of any size. The i switched to ubuntu and it works fine reading and copying small files. However, when i try to copy files >1,5Gb it says that "there is not enough space on the destination". The destination disk still has ~400Gb.

Thanks

I

ViolentMonk

Re: SMB server file size limit

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:10 am

first thing I suggest try and reformat your drive as ext4 instead of icky ntfs. using ext4 as your smb share will speed it up and probably fix your problem. ntfs is a lame format that wasnt really supported. also it takes more cpu power to use ntfs on a raspberry because of this or something like that. for my first smb share I used this person's post to fix permissions when I got lazy http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... ns#p250033 . after the script you may still want to edit the fstab and smb config. using a ext4 formatted drive through a smb share I usually get an average of 10mb/s a second sometimes going up to 11 and down to 9 depending on the file and that is with a really old 5400rpm maxtor ide pooper.

Adr3nl

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks for the reply ViolentMonk.

I've managed to do a workaround for this issue.
Since the main directory for the smb folder was located in a system folder in the SD card (/media), and i only had 1,5Gb available, somehow the error message was triggered, even though the external storage path (/media/Storex) had 400Gb. So, I've edited the smb.conf file with the direct path to the usb device.

Regarding ext4 format, i will in the future do as you say. The problem is that currently all my backups are in the external drive and i don't have any other disk to do the backup and reformat my drive. Probably connected to this issue is the poor transfer speed im currently achieving, ~2,4Mb/s.

Thank you

Adr3nl

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Regarding the speed issue, i found this (very) clarifying benchmarks by another user with the same problem:
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?i ... ncheng.png

It looks like a raspberry using ntfs cant go over 2,5MB/s

Return to “Networking and servers”