leisy

Can I run DNS, DLNA, network shares, and Shairport?

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:09 pm

I just ordered my first Raspberry Pi (512mb) after reading about how much you can do with them. This will actually be one of my first real experiences with Linux. I was just wondering how much I would be able to run on this. As the title says, I'd like to configure a caching DNS server with dnsmasq, a DLNA server, a couple smb file shares, Shairport (for Apple's AirPlay), and a torrent client. Does this sound realistic, or will I probably need a second RPI?

default_user8

Re: Can I run DNS, DLNA, network shares, and Shairport?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:25 am

I'm using my pi as a NAS with 2 1TB usb drives(one as a network drive, and one as a redundant drive ala raid using rsync to facilitate backups). Using samba to share the network drive to my other devices, and minidlna so that my Samsung smart TV can access music, pictures, and videos stored on the network drive. So half of your question is covered. I also plan on adding owncloud so i can eventually migrate away from dropbox. I've been researching what preinstalled packages i can remove from raspbian to lighten the load on my PI since i run headless and don't need a gui or some of the other packages that are preinstalled.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Richard-TX

Re: Can I run DNS, DLNA, network shares, and Shairport?

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 am

It isn't the service that you add that is going to determine the load on the Rpi, it is how CPU or I-O intensive the application is.
DNS and DHCP is neither CPU or I-O intensive so unless you have an errant client asking for name resolution or a new IP a few thousand times a second, there will no impact to the Rpi.

Samba shares can be very I-O intensive so the Rpi might not be able to keep up as the I-O bandwidth of the Rpi is limited.

In short, the Rpi is a handy device, but it isn't a General Purpose server either. A Dell 690 could handle several thousand busy email accounts on a Dell server. I doubt that a Rpi could handle more than 50 or so.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Return to “Networking and servers”