ViolentMonk

access point and smb share?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm using my rasp version b as a smb share but I got a RTL8188CUS chipset wifi dongle.. so I was wondering if it would really hurt to set it up as a access point as well?

ViolentMonk

Re: access point and smb share?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:58 pm

anyone? does it have enough ram to act as a smb file host and a access point or do I need to get a second raspberry?

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 am

ViolentMonk wrote:anyone? does it have enough ram to act as a smb file host and a access point or do I need to get a second raspberry?
The answer, as ever, is "It depends.".

What it depends on is a) how much network traffic your samba shares uses b) how much network traffic your access point uses, c) what else is running on that RPi and d) how much you've split it between the GPU and the CPU.

For £35 you could buy a second RPi and have two dedicated servers (one doing SAMBA, the other hostapd).
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

ViolentMonk

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 am

the raspberry runs headless with a split where most of the ram goes to the cpu. also the access point wont be used the same time as the smb share. when in use only a cell phone/tablet would use the access point and a single raspberry would be using the rasp smb share. oh and the smb rasp is only running smb nothing else.

Return to “Networking and servers”