cabbers

Max expected throughput of eth0 for speedtest??

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:57 am

Hi all
I'm using a Pi with a cracking script/package called Tespeed https://www.janhouse.lv/blog/coding/tes ... peed-test/ which uses the nearest speedtest.net servers to calculate download and upload speeds. The Pi sits behind a Virginmedia 110Mb/secs Superhub. Using a Win7 machine I can easily achieve >100Mb/secs every time, so congestion on their network is not a problem.The max I can get from the Pi is between 77-81Mb/secs-uploads are bang on.
I realise that the Pi shares a common bus with the USB ports, and its not got as much grunt as an i3 CPU :-) But has anybody else got any experience of what eth0 is capable off (I dont think this script is writing to the SD card)? I have another Pi, and will be doing some iPerf tests but just thought I would ask others in the community.

thanks

cabs

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Max expected throughput of eth0 for speedtest??

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Sounds about right to me. Will drop off a bit if you write to the SD card. Or use the USB at the same time.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

dom

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 pm

The Pi's ethernet port is 100Mbit/s maximum. (Your win7 machine probably has a 1Gbit/s network card).
However there is always some overhead in the protocol.

With iperf I can measure around 91MB/sec on Pi.
Downloading from speedtest presumably uses http, so will have more protocol overhead than iperf's simpler test.

Basically, 80Mbit/s actual download speed on Pi is pretty good. You may improve this a touch with overclock, but I'd say it's working well.

mikerr

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Maybe losing some efficiency with http.

My Pi file server with samba can max out the 100Mbps interface (on reads at least - 10meg/byte sec), and that's while reading from USB drive.
Writes do suffer with the CPU though, around 7megbyte/sec.

cabbers

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:27 pm

Many thanks guys for the inputs-just finished doing some 30 second iPerf testing with 2 Pi's, connected across a Netgear FE switch, which has a connection to my local router (for DHCP) .Both UDP and TCP come in at 93Mb/sec (when using iftop on a seperate ssh login to monitor eth0 on the server PI).Seems to lose about 2-3Mb/secs in transit as well.

I will tweak the script and see if I can move it up a notch-I reckon I should be able to squeeze another 10Mb/secs or so.

thanks again

cabs

Nfarrow

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:46 am

If you buy a WiFi Dongle you can get better speed up to 300 Mbps(if you network isn't congested with other devices), rather than using the Ethernet's 100 Mbps top speeds.
Twitter: @farrownick
Instagram veggievampire
I own a lot of Pis....

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Nfarrow wrote:If you buy a WiFi Dongle you can get better speed up to 300 Mbps(if you network isn't congested with other devices), rather than using the Ethernet's 100 Mbps top speeds.
Do you have any real world statistics to back up your conjecture?
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Nfarrow wrote:If you buy a WiFi Dongle you can get better speed up to 300 Mbps(if you network isn't congested with other devices), rather than using the Ethernet's 100 Mbps top speeds.
I rather doubt that. Both the on board Ethernet and any USB device are limited in bandwidth by the Pi's single main USB interface and the load that places on the relatively slow CPU.

adonesp

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:22 pm

I am working on a project related to networking. I'm building a wifi vending machine and network performance was critical for this. To test the maximum throughput of raspberry pi 3 model B, I setup a local speedtest server using debian + apache and an opensource HTML 5 speedtest which can be found at https://github.com/adolfintel/speedtest

Raspberry basically served as a router which cuts off data ofcertian IP if client's time is out. I used a gigabit usb LAN adapter as the LAN interface and the built-in Ethernet port as the WAN interface. Iptables cointains minimal rules which marks packets like dns, ssh, icmp as priority and marks packets per ip address. LAN and WAN interface contains TC (linux traffic control) HTB classes which guarantees each client will get equal bandwidth download/upload. The software has a bandwidth limiter per user. I set the bandwidth per user as 2048000 (way beyond raspberry specs) to eliminate the speed capping on each network interface.

The result showed raspberry was able to transfer 100mbps (99.75mbps) download and upload for a single client speed test.

Return to “Networking and servers”