Ake09

Using the Belkin N150 as a Wifi adapter

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm

I bougt a Belkin N150 Wifi adapter and planned to plug it into one of the USB sockets of the Raspberry Pi B to be able tó directly be able to look at and download software, when I found a diskette with a setup program in the Belkin box. How do I do it? Do I just plug it in, and by magic it works? Or do I have to connect the Raspberry Pi to my router with a LAN cable? I know that there is a Wifi adapter beeing sold by Amazon, how do you do it there? Or is it specially made to be able to run Wifi directly?

I guess that my questions are stupid, but that does not help me!

Regards,
Ake

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Using the Belkin N150 as a Wifi adapter

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Its will probably work if you simply plug it in. Linux will auto detect, and set itself up to use it. You will then need to do something to connect to your local wireless network - there is a option to do that in the desktop somewhere.

Or you can simply connect to your router with a cable and it will just work, no need for a wireless adapter if directly connected.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

exartemarte

Re: Using the Belkin N150 as a Wifi adapter

Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:21 pm

Plug it in. There's a program for configuring wifi on the Pi LXDE desktop, called wpa_config or something like that, which will scan for wireless networks, let you configure the security, and connect. You will need to know the SSID (name) and encryption password for your router. I have done this successfully with several different wifi dongles.

Return to “Networking and servers”