peterpan123

Ad Hoc Wifi Share

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:13 am

Hi, I want to be able to access a folder on my RPi from my windows laptop wirelessly. This will be outdoors, so there is no router/ internet connection, just the RPi and the laptop.
The application is actually a RPi and camera in a model plane taking aerial photos. I want to access them in real time on my laptop while the plane is still in the air.

I've had a good go at this
http://spin.atomicobject.com/2013/04/22 ... unication/
which seemed to work.
I installed SSH on the windows laptop by following
http://comptb.cects.com/1264-install-co ... on-windows
but I couldn't get the windows SSH to connect (I started SSH, typed "ssh -lpi 192.168.1.1" but it asked me for a password, I don't know what that was or where to set it)

Is this the best way (where do I set the password)?
Or is there a better way? I've spent three evenings getting this far, any help much appreciated.

jonjones

Re: Ad Hoc Wifi Share

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi,

The default password for SSH is 'raspberry'

I'd recommend running something like FileZilla on your laptop (free FTP software). Set up a new connection profile as SFTP and log in with the username 'pi' and password 'raspberry'. This will give you full file access to the Pi.

Find your photo directory and you will be able to download them to your PC without any further modifications.

Jon

peterpan123

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Yes I tried raspberry (it's good to know that it's the Pi password I need because I tried every possible other windows user password I could think of).

I think it was trying to connect to my home wifi which was switched on and connected (and also has the IP 192.168.1.1). I disconnected from it and now I get an error message
"WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!"
I understand why that is so I'll work through that.

Or does the FTP not need SSH at all?

Can I change the pi address to 198.162.2.1 to allow both to operate independently when I'm testing at home? It's handy to be able to connect to the internet while I'm trouble shooting.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

peterpan123

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:34 am

OMG, that was ridiculously easy. I connected first time with Filezilla.

Thank you so much. I've been bashing my head against the wall for three nights following those other tutorials. (One night of progress, two nights of bashing). Thanks again.

jonjones

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:25 am

No problem, I'm glad you got there in the end :)

By the way, changing the IP of the Pi probably would have resolved your 'identify has changed' issue.

Jon

Return to “Networking and servers”