agex

Re: BerryTerminal (Edubuntu/LTSP terminal)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 am

Hi Max,

I already using your image and it's working good in Edubuntu 10.04 server. I open many application and it's run smooth (server only have 1 Gigabyte memory).
The problem is, sound not come in HDMI out or in headphone jack. I already set SOUND = true in lts.conf but still no effect. Can you help how to set the sound ?
I need it because I want to used this client for language labs.

The other problem is, my flashdisk can not mount in local client ? is it possible to mount in local client ?

Regards

Max

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:13 pm

agex wrote: The problem is, sound not come in HDMI out or in headphone jack. I already set SOUND = true in lts.conf but still no effect. Can you help how to set the sound ?
Do not support sound nor local storage.
Patches welcome.

Note that lts.conf is not parsed.
Settings go in /etc/init.d/S99ltsp instead as environment variables.
However just adding "export SOUND=True" there wouldn't sufficient, you would also need to fix and start the pulseaudio daemon.
Never had much success with that on a Pi in the past. (but haven't tried recently)

woutur

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Is there a update coming? I'd like to use Berryterminal with my wireless Logitech diNovo for notebooks. This keyboard and mouse combo works straight out of the box on RaspBMC but fails on Berryterminal.
It would be awesome to see Berryterminal in action without much hassle with wires to my keyboard!

Max

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:42 am

woutur wrote:Is there a update coming? I'd like to use Berryterminal with my wireless Logitech diNovo for notebooks. This keyboard and mouse combo works straight out of the box on RaspBMC but fails on Berryterminal.
It would be awesome to see Berryterminal in action without much hassle with wires to my keyboard!
Try installing Berryterminal through Berryboot.
That uses a newer kernel.

woutur

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:04 am

That seemed to do the trick! Performance of the keyboard isn't quite yet what it should be (but that could be due to power issues). At least I can login.

jpmathew

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi Max:
I tried to use the current image and created a SD card. But when I tried to mount second partition I get type error. The first partition seems OK
Am I installing the wrong image? or am I making a mistake?
We want to use the LTSP Thin Client in Education
Appreciate help
Joseph Mathew

Max

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm

jpmathew wrote:Hi Max:
I tried to use the current image and created a SD card. But when I tried to mount second partition I get type error. The first partition seems OK
Am I installing the wrong image? or am I making a mistake?
We want to use the LTSP Thin Client in Education
Might need to specify "-t squashfs" when mounting the second partition.

Recommend you build from source if you want to modify files.

- "make" first
- modify files in output/target
- "make" again.
- image to be written to second partition is in output/images. Alternatively, you can also rename output/images/rootfs.squashfs to myimage.img, put it on USB stick and feed it to Berryboot

jpmathew

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 am

@Max
I tried the version 20120602 and created a SD Card, but could not get the contents of the partition 2. It gave wrong fs type. But the partition 1 is visible with all the files. So I tried mounting as loop. That also gave the same error as shown.
Can you point out the mistake I am making?
sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop,offset=$((512*67584)) berryterminal-20120602.img ./test
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
Joseph Mathew

Max

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:34 am

jpmathew wrote:@Max
I tried the version 20120602 and created a SD Card, but could not get the contents of the partition 2. It gave wrong fs type. But the partition 1 is visible with all the files. So I tried mounting as loop. That also gave the same error as shown.
Can you point out the mistake I am making?
sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop,offset=$((512*67584)) berryterminal-20120602.img ./test
1) it is squashfs, not ext4
Given that squahfs is a read-only file system, I recommend you get the source tarball instead, and work with that, if you intend to change files.

2) please use a tool like kpartx instead of raw offsets to avoid mistakes, or write the image to sd card first.

asmok

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 pm

HI, I got mine to work, too.

http://www.arkki.info/howto/RaspberryPi ... rminal.jpg

Here is Asus Eee 900 as a LTSP-PNP server, dnsmasq is both dhcpd and tftpd, Android phone is WLAN AP, there is WLAN/NAT.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LaptopDemo

I have CuBox (Ubuntu 12.04), too. I try next turn CuBox as a LTSP-PNP server.

http://solid-run.com/

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

asmok

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 pm

asmok wrote:I have CuBox (Ubuntu 12.04), too. I try next turn CuBox as a LTSP-PNP server.
Not exactly LTSP-PNP server, but with dnsmasqd as dhcpd and tftpd.

[email protected]:~# uname -a
Linux CuBox 3.4.0-rc6-13072-gd3f1980 #1 PREEMPT Wed May 23 17:32:06 EEST 2012 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~#

Oct 22 23:31:41 CuBox dnsmasq-dhcp[3999]: 2782644519 available DHCP range: 192.168.100.200 -- 192.168.100.250
Oct 22 23:31:41 CuBox dnsmasq-dhcp[3999]: 2782644519 DHCPOFFER(eth0) 192.168.100.237 b8:27:eb:52:10:db
Oct 22 23:31:41 CuBox dnsmasq-dhcp[3999]: 2782644519 next server: 192.168.100.99

Oct 22 23:31:42 CuBox ldminfod[5970]: connect from 192.168.100.237 (192.168.100.237)

5022 ? Ss 0:00 bash -c LTSP_CLIENT=192.168.100.237 LTSP_CLIENT_HOSTNAME=berryterminal LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAG
E=en_US.UTF-8 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /etc/X11/Xsession "/usr/bin/openbox-session" < /dev/null > /dev/null

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

hantu12

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Good evening,

I just got the new pi with 512mb. I managed to get it to boot with berryterminal on our ltsp server (ubuntu 12.10 desktop based) but I'm having two issues with it:

1. Regardles of the keyboard connected to the pi the arrow keys(up, down, left right) don't work.
2. I can't launch java applications. Basically the jnlp launches, it shows the downloading application bar, gets to 100% and then after the loader dissapears nothing happens. When I try launching the application on the 256mb pi or any pc booted on ltsp everything is fine. It's just on the raspberry.

Anybody tried booting berryterminal and had similar issues?

Thank you,
Hantu

Max

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:33 pm

hantu12 wrote: I just got the new pi with 512mb
[...]
When I try launching the application on the 256mb pi or any pc booted on ltsp everything is fine.
Is your new Pi stable under load?
Try running memtester under Raspbian (sudo apt-get install memtester ; sudo memtester 240) or use the memtester Berryboot profile,
Or play a game like Quake3 and Openarena (on the Pi itself, not through LTSP) and see if it crashes.

bungeebones

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to the raspberry. I am the IT guy for a small private school for special needs kids and LTSP is very effective for us and we are up to 40 older pcs in our network (mostly older dells w/P4 processors).

I looked at both the raspberry and the MK802 and went with the MK802 first, because it would arrive sooner but have since also ordered a raspberry and am awaiting its arrival.

Everything I am reading about these micro PCs leads me to believe we are just at the beginning of figuring these devices out and how to use them. Personally I think they will make excellent thin clients for use in an LTSP lab.

I just started working with the MK802 yesterday and have had no success whatsoever getting it to boot to our network. I've tried copying the raspberry boot files you developed and also the PXE files we boot on the boot CD (for machines with older bios). I have yet to even get one response or error message that the MK802 has encountered a problem trying to connect or load the files. It just goes to android.

My question(s) start with whether the strawberry boot image (to LTSP) should work with a different Android/pc device? If so then why doesn't my device report anything?

Then, if not, is there a way I can make some changes to the existing image so that it would also work with the mk802?

I can't wait to get my raspberry in and will also get it connected to our network and will probably be able to post some performance tests as to how it does against our older PCs.

Thanks

Robert

Max

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:08 pm

My question(s) start with whether the strawberry boot image (to LTSP) should work with a different Android/pc device?
In the PC world it does not matter whether you have an Intel or AMD CPU. Both will run Windows fine.

Unfortunately things are a bit different with ARM devices.
Due to different vendors refusing to cooperate with each other, there is the situation that for each different ARM device you have a different boot method, and need a different Linux kernel.
So no, software for the Raspberry will not run on other devices without a little bit of extra work.

bungeebones wrote:Then, if not, is there a way I can make some changes to the existing image so that it would also work with the mk802?
Yes, there is.
There is a version of Berryboot (which in turn can start Berryterminal) for devices with an Allwinner A10 CPU.
  • Download the BerrybootA10 from: http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot_a10
    Try the version that is meant for the Hackberry first. As I think it comes with memory settings that are compatible with your device.
  • Write that image to SD card with "dd" under Linux or with one of the Windows image tools.
  • After writing the image, access the file system on the card, and replace the file named script.bin with one that is specific for the MK802.
    This file contains detailed information about the hardware, e.g. which button is wired to which cpu pin. You can find a script.bin for your specific device hidden on the /dev/block/nanda partition under Android, or download it from here: https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-bi ... script.bin
  • Now stick the card into your MK802 and see if it boots.

michelk

BerryTerminal (Edubuntu/LTSP terminal)

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I use berryterminal to connect to an Edubuntu/LTSP 12.04 server.
All works well, but the keyboard is "qwerty".
For our french school, I need "azerty".
I tried to fix that issue using lts.conf, but I did't succeed yet.
Do you have any help ?

Thank you,
Michel

Max

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 am

michelk wrote: I use berryterminal to connect to an Edubuntu/LTSP 12.04 server.
All works well, but the keyboard is "qwerty".
For our french school, I need "azerty".
I tried to fix that issue using lts.conf, but I did't succeed yet.
Do you have any help ?
Settings in lts.conf are currently not interpreted, and I don't think we ship any keyboard maps other then us/qwerty right now.
Maybe in the next version (planned to be released after there is x11 acceleration).

Max

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 am

Changelog Berryterminal 2013-01-05 (standalone version)
  • Added sound support.
  • Added LDM_DIRECTX support.
  • Updated to newest firmware.
  • Now loads the contents of the SD card into memory at boot. Can be removed afterwards.

dzikus

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 pm

I suggest to add autologin.

Max

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 am

Changelog Berryterminal 2013-01-07 (standalone version)

Available for download at: http://www.berryterminal.com/
  • Support for specifying keyboard layout in cmdline.txt.

If you have a French AZERTY keyboard, open cmdline.txt on the SD card and change it to:

Code: Select all

quiet XKBLAYOUT=fr

• Support for specifying LDM options in cmdline.txt.

Example to auto-login:

Code: Select all

quiet LDM_AUTOLOGIN=True LDM_USERNAME=username12 LDM_PASSWORD=password

Make sure each Raspberry is given a username of its own.
All cmdline.txt parameters must be on a single line seperated by spaces.

pjssilva

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Did anyone tried do use a newer version of Edubuntu that is using unity enviroment as default? Can BerryTerminal connect to an LTSP server like that and deal with Unity and compositing window managers?

raspi2013

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Thank you very much, Max!

You provided a complete development-suite to build Linux from scratch for our Raspberry Pi. It is very useful to adapt things. I was able to successfully install rdesktop as well as freerdp with your buildroot-environment.

I just have to add some scripts for automation, but manually it works already. I had much more trouble to install a working LTSP-server than compiling your terminal.

Thank you again! I'm very happy, I can realize now so many things without installing a big Debian distribution before.

One small problem I had with your default settings: My Raspberry Pi needed sometimes but not always more time to get his network card up and running, so he didn't get an IP from dhcp. I had to add "sleep 10" in "S10udev"-script at line 47, the following lines should do the job and wait for eth0 coming up, but it seems to me, that a device showing there don't mean it is up.
So my 10 seconds delay will make sure, it is really up.

gtrovato

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi All,

I'm testing PI as thin client with Edubuntu 12.04 and LTSP-PNP.
There is a strange behavior: even if I have set Italian as default language, the desktop is always in English. If I enter with the same user on another thin client (not PI) the language is right (Italian).

Then, after login, there is an Ubuntu Crash message.
See here:
http://www.asilospangaro.it/temp/image2.png
http://www.asilospangaro.it/temp/image4.png

The graphic of LibreOffice and Firefox is quite strange.
See here:
http://www.asilospangaro.it/temp/image1.png
http://www.asilospangaro.it/temp/image3.png

Giacomo.

gtrovato

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Any help?

Giacomo.

Max

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 pm

One small problem I had with your default settings: My Raspberry Pi needed sometimes but not always more time to get his network card up and running, so he didn't get an IP from dhcp. I had to add "sleep 10" in "S10udev"-script at line 47, the following lines should do the job and wait for eth0 coming up, but it seems to me, that a device showing there don't mean it is up.
So my 10 seconds delay will make sure, it is really up.
Shouldn't take that long.
If you are using a managed Ethernet switch, make sure STP is disabled (or set to portfast) on the ports the terminals are connected to.

Return to “Networking and servers”