Max

Re: BerryTerminal (Edubuntu/LTSP terminal)

Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Was wondering if anyone:

has access to an Edubuntu or other LTSP deployment
already has received their Pi
has spare time to test serveral version of an image

A while back I cross-compiled a minimal 20 MB Linux distribution with just the essential stuff to connect to a LTSP server.

And am curious if it actually works on a real device.

welshblob

Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 am

I'm willing to test but don't have access to a LTSP server. Is there a pre-configured vm image I could download or is an LTSP server easy to set up?

tacioandrade

Tue May 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello I also have interest in it. In fact not only LTSP more than thinclients in general.
However at the FAQ says that the Raspberry does not support booting from the network and another thing, as it is ARM, do not know if the images of LISP would work because it is for ix86.

Max

Tue May 15, 2012 1:33 pm

welshblob wrote:I'm willing to test but don't have access to a LTSP server. Is there a pre-configured vm image I could download or is an LTSP server easy to set up?
The only thing special needed is that your computer must have 2 network ports.

One for Internet, and one that goes to a seperate Ethernet switch the Raspberries are connected to,
(If you do have 2 network ports but not a separate switch, a crosscable between your computer and a single raspberry may also do for testing purposes)

Installing the LTSP server is not hard at all.
Easiest is to grab Edubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/rele ... 4/release/

Tick the right box during installation, select which network connection the Raspberry is going to be connected to and you are all set on the server side.

(If you do not have a spare server, but are using Virtualbox virtualisation make sure you add two virtual network adapters to the virtual machine, set networking mode to "bridge", and hook up the right virtual adapter to the right physical network link.)

Max

Tue May 15, 2012 1:45 pm

tacioandrade wrote:Hello I also have interest in it. In fact not only LTSP more than thinclients in general.
However at the FAQ says that the Raspberry does not support booting from the network and another thing, as it is ARM, do not know if the images of LISP would work because it is for ix86.
Cross compiled my own initramfs image for ARM that doesn't use PXE.
Needs to be put on a FAT formatted SD CARD.

Uses a normal DHCP request to determinate the IP-address of the LTSP server, prompts user for password and sets up the connection over SSH.
At least that is the theory. There are limits to what one can test in QEMU. Still need a volunteer to see if my image even boots on a real device :mrgreen:
Are you just interested, or also have a real LTSP environement and Pi handy?

welshblob

Wed May 16, 2012 7:11 am

Hi Max,

I dl edubuntu dvd iso last night and will have a go at installing it tonight depending on how work goes today. Do you have your rpi build I could dl ready for testing?

Rob

Max

Wed May 16, 2012 4:08 pm

welshblob wrote:I dl edubuntu dvd iso last night and will have a go at installing it tonight depending on how work goes today. Do you have your rpi build I could dl ready for testing?
Uploaded a test image to http://www.berryterminal.com/dl/
You need to unzip it to a SD card (to the normal FAT partition accessible by Windows).

There's currently still an issue with authentication.
But I would like to know if the image at least:
  • boots on a real Pi to start with.
  • gets to the following screen:

• if keyboard and mouse work properly there.
At boot the entire image is loaded into memory (initramfs embedded in kernel), so it may take a while before you see the first sign of life while booting.

welshblob

Wed May 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Max,

Installing Edubuntu is taking a bit longer than expected (old desktop). In the meantime I formatted a memory card with fat32 and put your files on it. Put it in the Pi and powered it on and all I got was the red power light and it turned on the screen but it was blank .... that was it. To make sure it wasn't how I formatted the memory card I installed the standard debian image over it which booted ok. I then replaced all the files on the fat partition with yours with the same results, red power light and blank screen. Granted this was without the Edubutu ltsp server being up but should I have seen something on the screen and/or some of the other lights flashing?

Cheers
Rob

Max

Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 pm

welshblob wrote: I then replaced all the files on the fat partition with yours with the same results, red power light and blank screen. Granted this was without the Edubutu ltsp server being up but should I have seen something on the screen and/or some of the other lights flashing?
Thanks for trying it out.

Hmm, then there is indeed something wrong with my image.
Even without ltsp server it should boot, and give you a text error message.

Don't know what the problem is yet though.
Perhaps the boot loader doesn't like a kernel.img this size (22 MB, because it has all files embedded inside).
Or I may have made some other mistake somewhere in the kernel configuration.
Will generate a new image with the standard Debian kernel and a separate file system later (probably tomorrow).

Max

Thu May 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Uploaded a new image based on the Debian kernel+modules to the same location.
This one must be written to a SD CARD with an image writer tool (like with the Debian image.)

welshblob

Thu May 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Will have a play and report back.

welshblob

Thu May 17, 2012 10:31 pm

The good news is the new image is booting with all the led's flashing and . The first boot was when it was connected to my normal network and it found my main router/dhcp server, it then tries to retrieve the LDM settings from my router but then questions whether its an LTSP server "Not a LTSP server?". It then just repeats this ... cat't open /dev/tty1: No such file or directory.

So I have tried connecting it to the private network off one of the Edubuntu server interfaces but its still picking up my default router. I need to do a bit more work on Edubuntu to see what it should be doing.

Rob

Max

Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Good it at least boots :)

Actually, since I already figured automatic server detection might not work in certain network configurations (like when you only have 1 network instead of 2) I built in a way to override it.

On the FAT partition accessible by Windows one of the files contains the kernel command-line settings.
Try opening it with notepad and appending: server=1.2.3.4
where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of your LTSP server.

welshblob

Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Thinking ahead I like that :-) I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Max

Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Regarding tty1:

The good news: if everything works well, you don't need tty1.
That terminal is where a shell is started if it cannot find the server, cannot start the GUI or something else goes wrong.

The potential bad news: the fact that it cannot find /dev/tty1 could mean udev has problems detecting other devices as well, and those might be essential.
If you get an error about a missing /dev/fb0 later, or a keyboard or mouse that do not work, that might be a problem I need to look into.

Max

Fri May 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Uploaded a version (20120518) that may solve the tty1 problem.

(suspect that the rpi kernel is missing the devtmpfs option, which is required for recent versions of udev to function. downgraded udev to 175)

welshblob

Fri May 18, 2012 8:39 pm

Hi Max,
I'll give the new version a go in a moment.
1. I've proved my Edubuntu LTSP install works by PXE booting an old laptop which was very impressive and quite slick.
2. Having originally booted on my main network it looks as though my default router/DHCP server had got stuck in the settings under /tmp/resolv.conf and a file under /tmp/ldm/{my router IP}. So i reimaged the card in case it was logged elsewhere.
3. On first proper boot i think it got an IP but though the LDM server was 192.168.0.1 not 192.168.0.254. So I edited the cmdline.txt file to put in thr server=192.168.0.254.
4. On next boot it was happier with that but it then errored very quickly. I've copied the output of the /tmp/Xorg.0.log file below which was the only log file with something worthwhile in it.

I'll have a go with your latest image now and report back.
Cheers
Rob

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/(none):0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X.Org X Server 1.7.5
Release Date: 2010-02-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-24-generic x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux (none) 3.1.9+ #90 Wed Apr 18 18:23:05 BST 2012 armv6l
Build Date: 17 May 2012 12:38:25PM

Current version of pixman: 0.25.2
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan 1 00:00:15 1970
(II) Loader magic: 0x17b364
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
X.Org Server Extension : 2.0

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor

Max

Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 pm

welshblob wrote: 2. Having originally booted on my main network it looks as though my default router/DHCP server had got stuck in the settings under /tmp/resolv.conf and a file under /tmp/ldm/{my router IP}. So i reimaged the card in case it was logged elsewhere.
Hmm, /tmp is supposed to reside in memory, and nothing should be changed on the card.
Might be another issue.

xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
Sounds like the same device problem. Hopefully the other image works better with that.

welshblob

Fri May 18, 2012 9:33 pm

IT WORKS !

Photos here -> https://picasaweb.google.com/1168881946 ... directlink

I even managed to logon. Performance wasn't quite as fast as RDP to my Windows instance but that might be due to the edubuntu machine itself. I still had to include the server={LTSP IP} in the cmdline.txt file.

Cheers
Rob

Max

Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Great that it works!

I think I also spotted the problem regarding server detection.
Uploaded yet another image.

Regarding speed:

That is work in progress.
Currently it encrypts all communication which might be overkill.
There is an option in the LTSP code to turn it off after authentication, but when I tried that it didn't work properly.
Will take a look at that in a couple weeks (am away next week)

Also the code can be compiled with hardfp and more optimization flags than I'm using now.
Currently disabled them because my virtual QEMU environment does not seem to like optimized code very much (odd "invalid instruction" errors).

felix123

Fri May 18, 2012 11:28 pm

I want to do the same thing, but with rdp. Could you please share how you compiled it? Thanks

Max

Sat May 19, 2012 8:18 am

felix123 wrote:I want to do the same thing, but with rdp. Could you please share how you compiled it? Thanks
Compiled the system with http://www.buildroot.org/
Requires that you create your own makefile for the extra software you want to compile (ldm in my case, probably rdesktop or freerdp in your case), and create your own startup script so that it connects to the server you want.
Would not recommend it if you don't have some development experience.

Architecture selected in Buildroot: ARM (little endian) -> ARM1176JZF-S
Toolchain used: Cross-tool NG toolchain / eglibc library
(For code optimized for the rpi it might be better to use the "external toolchain" and the hardfp raspberry toolchain from git. However when I tried that, everything compiled fine, but was unable to test it under qemu due the invalid instruction errors.)

mrlinux2u

Thu May 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Got my Raspberry PI connecting to my trial LTSP server (virtualbox ubuntu 10.04, ltsp 5.x with no ssh connection) and to be honest it's faster than the Intel Atom dual core system I used to use.

Very impressed with the BerryTerminal setup so far and I'm gonna keep trying it (and tweaking settings) before I show my ex-boss in a few weeks time (will make very cheap thin clients).

Thanks very much for such a cool system.

Max

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Am back, and in the mean time my own Pi arrived :D
So can now test outside of qemu, and uploaded an optimized hardfp version.

Youtube vid of BerryTerminal in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxkwoMyvuoI

mrlinux2u

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:33 pm

@Max,

Glad to see a hardfp version will try that 2morrow :)

BTW, is it possible to set BerryTerminal to work in 16bit colour to save bandwidth?, I tried using the lts.conf file in LTSP and resolution and colour depth are ignored (set resolution in config.txt on the /boot section of the sdcard and it works fine).

Cheers

mrlinux

Return to “Networking and servers”