bluepin

Managing multiple PIs

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:45 pm

I find myself handling multiple PIs all over my house, 3-4 is manageable just by ssh and a good naming scheme but as services on the PIs and their numbers increases, it becomes harder and harder. Which one is online, what was the one that ran X service, etc.

If you have a recommendation of solutions to manage the sea of PIs around from a centralized console, please share it.
I am thinking like something like the "cloud" management tools : easy to get in a view the devices and their status, start/stop services , etc.

Thanks

freemanbubu

Re: Managing multiple PIs

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 am

I use Nagios to monitor all my Pis (and nas, switchs, ....);
i can check avalaibility, services, processes, ressources usage... but i can't control Pis from nagios....

AndrewS

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am

It's not quite the "single console" you're after, but have you looked at webmin?

sprinkmeier

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:10 am

Have a look at clusterssh and puppet.

clusterssh lets you have simultaneous SSH sessions on multiple Pis (or any other box for that matter) and execute commands simultaneously on all your systems.

puppet allows you to manage any number of systems from one central puppet-master. Install packages, run scripts, manage users, control services...

Return to “Networking and servers”