lazarus78

RPi connecting to Active Directory domain?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Is there a laymans guide for connecting to an Active Directory domain? Everything I find, as little as there is, just lists config files and doesn't really explain what to do with them, where to put information, etc. All I need is to be able to connect my Pi to a domain, period.

I can grasp when I need to input my own information to an extent, but guides just listing code and configs with no explanation just confuses me more in an already confusing process.

lazarus78

Re: RPi connecting to Active Directory domain?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Well its been a few days, so I thought id give this a bump and make sure its still alive.

I was looking at guides, like the one below, and it seems very vague as to what information exactly is changing, where I need to put in my information, etc. I can extrapolate only so far before I am unsure what to do.
http://www.finnie.org/text/debian-domain-auth.html

There is also another issue. This guide, and others similar to it, seem to invoke this "net" command in order to make the initial connection. According to my setup, no such command exists. I am using a Raspbian image I downloaded off this site, so I don't know if this functionality was tripped out, or if I did something wrong and the necessary files for the command didn't get installed at some point.

Another thing. If I restart the system, when I am prompted for the login as I have it set up, the normal login info does not work. I even attempted to log in as the Domain admin thinking maybe that is what it wanted now, but no dice with that. As a result, I have essentially "bricked" 2 SD cards. (Thankfully I learned my lesson the first time and made backups from then on XD)

lazarus78

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Another edit/update:

I managed to connect to the domain by following this guide. The only remaining issue is how to actually access files.

Are there no guides for this? I find it hard to believe that I am the only one here wanting to do this type of thing, and the lack of detailed information to be very frustrating.

AshP

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:12 pm

The only remaining issue is how to actually access files.
You can use
smbclient -U adusername //servername/sharename
or mount it by creating a local directory and then mounting with a command such as
mount -t cifs -o username=adusername,password=adpassword //servername/sharename /localmountpoint

(If you have Kerberos working, that is a klist shows the Keberos tickets you can look to get rid of supplying username password and using krb5 security)

lazarus78

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. The mount point sounds the most promising method for my needs.

Will report back as soon as I have anything to report.

EDIT:
I've hit another snag. As I have said, I am able to join the domain, however the issue comes when I restart the system, I reach an impossible login prompt. The default pi user doesn't work, root doesn't work, nor does any of the domain logins. I have no idea what is going on.

FINAL EDIT:
I guess the 20th time is the charm. Lesson learned, insanity is a valid mindset for this kind of thing. I was able to successfully log in (Prompts for password twice now) and was able to mount and read from the network NAS box. All seem to be working as intended.

tawsenior

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I don't suppose you could write up your final solution for the rest of us who find ourselves in a similar situation, could you?

jtmoderate876

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:48 pm

Yes, it would be nice if you posted a detailed "how to".

StygianAgenda

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:04 pm

There's no need to write up a How-To specifically for the RPi/RPi2 architecture when the How-To for x86 systems is an identical process. Just search "Samba Active Directory" on Google, and either use the guide from samba.org, or one of the easy how-to's made for Debian or Ubuntu. There should be no difference between the two, because the difference in CPU type doesn't affect the commands available to any given application. Samba works the same, regardless of platform.

Return to “Networking and servers”