Bikko

Dialup networking server

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:41 am

Hi

Is there anyway to setup raspberry pi to accept incoming connections through a USB 56kb modem?

Currently having to use a old server for this that isn't very environmentally friendly

eastpole

Re: Dialup networking server

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 am

Bikko, I haven't done this, but it should be very similar to any other machine running Debian. If not, I'd love to hear why.

Have a look at
http://www.aboutdebian.com/modems.htm
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html
http://wiki.debian.org/DialupConf

It wasn't entirely clear whether you need the thing to speak plain old serial (easiest) or make a point-to-point dialup connection that encapsulates IP (pppd, perhaps a bit harder.)

I don't suppose the machine you're looking to replace is already running some version of Linux (or another Unix?) If it is, you might just get the relevant packages installed and copy the configuration over and see it all start working!

If the links don't help you make progress on your own, post back here with some details about what you're doing.

Cheers, and good luck.
eastpole

Bikko

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Reading through it seems a lot is command based (not very good with linux)

also how do you know if it's able to dectect modem. Used PPP to test dial but seems that isn't going through aswell

sdjf

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:25 pm

I know this is a few months old, but this information could be helpful to others even if you have resolved the issue.

I agree, it is not easy to get this going if you have no command line experience, but it can be done. There are probably graphical interfaces that can help you do it, but without knowing what distribution you are running, it is hard to give specific advice.

As far as how to tell if the modem is recognizsed, there are a few levels to that:

1. is the modem recognized at all when you mount it?

2. is it attached to the right driver?

3. can your dialup software connect to the modem?

To see if the modem is seen at all, run a simple command, lsusb. You should see it listed.

The other questions, maybe others can help provide details.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

dingdongyo

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 pm

3 years late to this party, but i'm also interested in this. i have old hardware that can only connect via phone line. i'd like to have a setup where i can have it dial into the pi, and have the pi "tranlate" between the old devices and ethernet. i'm not worried about how fast it is, as long as it works.

Return to “Networking and servers”