amaroq137

MiniDLNA disconnects

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 am

Hey guys, I have a DLNA server setup on my pi which always cuts out while streaming to my tv's built in DLNA client and my iPad running xbmc. I temporarily setup a DLNA server on my laptop using the external drive that I had plugged into the pi and Windows Media Player and it works perfectly fine streaming to the tv, even over wifi. Does anyone know why it works fine via Windows but not with the pi?

Here's my setup:
Pi running Archlinux and MiniDLNA connected via Ethernet
750 GB Seagate external (ST907504EXA101-RK) connected with external power source formatted as ext4
LG 42LM6200 smart tv/IPad2 as DLNA client

Also, my dmesg has this line repeating over and over (device number 6 is the seagate drive):

Code: Select all

usb 1-1.3.4.3: reset high-speed USB device number 6 using dwc_otg
Last edited by amaroq137 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amaroq137

Re: MiniDLNA disconnects

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Of course, after toiling with this for weeks, I was able to figure out a workaround to my problem as soon as I asked the question on the forums. The way I had my external setup was:

external -> powered hub -> pi
and this was causing problems for some reason. I changed the setup to this using a USB Y cable:

external -> powered hub
external -> raspberry pi
and I am now able to stream via DLNA f̶l̶a̶w̶l̶e̶s̶s̶l̶y̶. (See below).

I still have one problem though and that's with transferring files to and from the external drive over samba. I mostly think this might be a network problem as file transfers in my network usually range around 2-3 MB/s, but to the external drive it's even slower at ~845 kB/s for reads on large files and even slower with writes.

UPDATE: I'm still losing connection through DLNA and get an error on my tv's client saying "Device has been disconnected." I checked my dmesg again and the USB message above is NOT present. This occurred about halfway through an episode of anime and also occurs if I leave the client paused for a while

Richdotward

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Maybe not same reason as mine, but when i had disconnect issues found out it was because i setup cron to refresh the library every hour.

If done in a middle of an tv show it would lose the connection. Changed it now to just do it at 7am and 17pm before i come home from work and perfect ever since.

Rich

amaroq137

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm using the built in inotify to refresh my library. I'll try increasing the interval to the default value as I set it to 180 seconds before.

Return to “Networking and servers”