ajws7036

Having really bad luck..

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Okay. So I bought A TP-Link WN725N V2 Wireless adapter for my pi. I Installed the driver correctly, so the Pi recognizes it. I got an ad-hoc network up and running for about 7 minutes, then I rebooted, and can't bring it back. I've also had troubles connecting to wifi. Besides the fact that My dad has an ethernet filter on our router (which currently is off I believe), so if that 's an issue, I'll see about getting that turned off. Anywho, I've googled and googled, And I just can't seem to get connected! I have no clue what to do. I've tried everything - from changing the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file, to Editing /etc/network/interfaces file. I'm running Raspbian 2013-02-09, On the 512 mb Pi. My wireless adapter is a TP-Link wn725n version 2. Someone help as this is really aggrivating!!! If you need mmore info, please let me know..

abishur

Re: Having really bad luck..

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm

I had some issue with it too which ultimately ended up revolving around it's power saving features. This thread

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 3&p=342508

has the information I found on it.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

toxibunny

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:11 am

Hey, look on the bright side - at least your pi and router didn't get struck by lightning and destroyed a couple of hours ago like mine did. :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

ajws7036

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:27 am

So it turns out the mac filter was on, causing my pi to not recieve an ip address. Now my question is.. how do I spoof mac addresses? :P i ve a device thats rarely used, and i can use that mac. The thing is, I've tried methods, but the mac doesnt appear changed:no wifi access. Please help me resolve this... Running raspbian may 25th build.

Doctorwho8

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:22 am

ajws7036 wrote:So it turns out the mac filter was on, causing my pi to not recieve an ip address. Now my question is.. how do I spoof mac addresses? :P i ve a device thats rarely used, and i can use that mac. The thing is, I've tried methods, but the mac doesnt appear changed:no wifi access. Please help me resolve this... Running raspbian may 25th build.
Hello!
Why does your father have this filtering mechanism turned on? Here's the thing, if he believes as do a lot of people that they protect against those individuals who wander around our cities looking for open and broadcasting SSIDs, the answer is, they do not. That method was broken about the same time as the first pass-key method for Wireless networking was broken. I presume the device is using the WPA2 or even the WPA ones instead of WEP, because that one was broken a while ago. As was the filtering mechanism.

Convince him that the whole idea of trying to protect the household that way is a bigger nuisance then what you're doing as a hobbyist because of those issues, and you'll be ahead of things.

Now how are you connected? Wireless also? Hard-wired? If you're hardwired and you still want to use wireless on your Pi, you can find an adapter made by the same firm for prices so low you'd swear on a pile of holy books something is wrong, but you're better off that way.

Good luck, and "May the Force be with you!".
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

ajws7036

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 pm

I am conncted using a spare router we have over wifi. I am sixteen, and with the MAC. filter, it allows my dad to set access times and cutoff times for wireless devices, so i used a cord to connct an older router to my current one to bypass the wireless mac filter. Ive trd every way i the book to convince hi against filtering, but he argued against it. And won.

Doctorwho8

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:27 am

ajws7036 wrote:I am conncted using a spare router we have over wifi. I am sixteen, and with the MAC. filter, it allows my dad to set access times and cutoff times for wireless devices, so i used a cord to connct an older router to my current one to bypass the wireless mac filter. Ive trd every way i the book to convince hi against filtering, but he argued against it. And won.
Hello!
A point for him.
However that filter is working against you. At this point you might look into that portable router and add to it a Wireless stick of the sort that are sold to support people who travel and would rather not use the services of a Starbucks or their public library.

Its at this point that I've run out of useful advice.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

ajws7036

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:28 am

Thank you, I actually did get myself a small, portable TP-Link WR702n Nano router. I usually used it with our Linksys E2500 router, until my dad enabeled vLan on the other three ethernet ports, leaving only one for our shared family computer. What do I do?

Ogoshi

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Install a key logger on his machine, wait for him to log into the router so you can get the username and password, then go add your mac to the white list or change the access times?!

Or the fact you can't sit up until 3am playing Wow on it and the pi is an educational tool, perhaps that would convince him?

abishur

Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:59 pm

So is the issue that the pi is permanently blocked, or is the issue that it's blocked late at night?

If the latter... well that's his choice and I can think of a couple reason beyond WoW that a parent might want to limit internet access past a certain hour for a teenage boy (no offense ;-) )

If the former is the issue that the router isn't working properly with the pi's mac address?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ajws7036

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:05 pm

The issue is that my pi is blocked 24/7... but i've found a workaround - for now, by using Internet conection sharing on my laptop. It requires a bit more work than I'd want tp do, but hey it works. He also enabeled vLan on the other three ethernet ports that our shared computer uses. He is convinced to not turn off mac filtering as it provides parental controls.

Return to “Networking and servers”