nommo

Cosm = Xively - what do you think?

Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 pm

So I happened to be checking out my Cosm feed today and noticed that has now become a Xively feed and is a little different. I don't seem to be able to select a time period on my graphs now though :( I suspect I'm missing something? :?

I also noticed they've got a bit about the Raspberry Pi

Plus what they are have in mind sounds pretty cool

What do you think?
Last edited by nommo on Wed May 15, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ate all the Pi

ptica

Re: Cosm = Xively - what do you think?

Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 am

Well I must admit I was also surprised today when I found new look of my feeds. To my opinion this is step back. In terms of graphical presentation of data I definitely miss selecting time period. I also miss auto graph adjustment (min and max value).

Hope they will return this two features.

ForestField

Wed May 15, 2013 7:22 am

I agree! It looks like they're focusing less on experimentation and more on seamless, scalable web apps. Hopefully they'll begin returning some of the old functionality soon.

mdax

Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 pm

There are several things I'm not digging about the xively change.
1. To see graph you now have to select feed
2. No auto min/max
3. No ability to change scale
4. TimeZone/Time mappings not working

However I still like the free part, so I'll deal until I either use a home apache server or isp.

nommo

Wed May 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I agree - after poking around extensively I could not find any way to set the time period for 'legacy feeds' - so that sucks as far as what I've been doing. Nor can I find a way to export the data, which sucks even more. :evil:

However - I did manage to complete the Raspberry Pi tutorial I mentioned above late last night though (after getting my head around authenticating at github via ssh pubkey!).

I will have a play and see if there are any graph options using the native Xively API etc this week hopefully.

I suppose this might be the motivation to move to a self-hosted graphing solution with RSS/JSON etc?
I ate all the Pi

richiepp

Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Yeah, I too was surprised to see the change, especially because I had just tweaked my script to send multiple sensor data to COSM. I finished the script, went to bed and when I woke up it had changed. :oops:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... sm#p349519

I had my old feeds displaying on a webpage using iframes, Maybe we can do this under the new system?
http://pointsproductions.info/temps/liv ... _cosm.html

Thx
R

P.S. I'm looking for help to get my script mentioned above to work under this new setup.

miker

Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 am

minutes of work absolutely wasted - and no notice whatsoever.

always thought the business model was suspect. Now we will see.

There is of course thingspeak as a good alternative.

But none of it is rocket science after all,

ForestField

Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 pm

is there a way to search for other people's feeds?

richiepp

Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Thingspeak looks cool and even a little better than what COSM was. Xively seems to have turned their backs on the hobbiest. So as I look for a new service what are my options? I've read a little bit about Google gadgets. What else is out there?

Thx
Rich

Doctorwho8

Sat May 18, 2013 1:48 am

nommo wrote:I agree - after poking around extensively I could not find any way to set the time period for 'legacy feeds' - so that sucks as far as what I've been doing. Nor can I find a way to export the data, which sucks even more. :evil:

However - I did manage to complete the Raspberry Pi tutorial I mentioned above late last night though (after getting my head around authenticating at github via ssh pubkey!).

I will have a play and see if there are any graph options using the native Xively API etc this week hopefully.

I suppose this might be the motivation to move to a self-hosted graphing solution with RSS/JSON etc?
Hello!
Right now I have mine running also with the Xively Tutorial. How did you accomplish the one of:
(after getting my head around authenticating at github via ssh pubkey!).
I simply cloned it from their github location after their site proved to be unable to explain that part. The comment of "their site" is that of Github, not that of Xively.

Otherwise it all works. Although something keeps causing an odd 502 error.
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

audioscience

Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Can you still get the graphs working with Xively?

I have graphs for all my feeds linked on my website and now it only posts one data point (the latest).

Do I have to reformat the feeds for "Xively" or will I not be able to use it in the same way? The new website seems even less helpful than the old one.

chrisdu

Sun May 19, 2013 4:40 am

Hello, I have the same problem like "audioscience".
Are there alternatives with which I can adapt the curve, how was it possible with Cosm?
I hope xively it makes possibly.

nommo

Sun May 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Doctorwho8 wrote: Hello!
Right now I have mine running also with the Xively Tutorial. How did you accomplish the one of:
(after getting my head around authenticating at github via ssh pubkey!).
I simply cloned it from their github location after their site proved to be unable to explain that part. The comment of "their site" is that of Github, not that of Xively.

Otherwise it all works. Although something keeps causing an odd 502 error.
The bit I got stuck on was this:

Code: Select all

$pip install -e [email protected]:xively/xively-python.git#egg=xively-python

result: Command /usr/bin/git clone -q [email protected]:xively/xively-python.git /home/pi/xively_tutorial/.envs/venv/src/xively-python failed with error code 128 in None
The solution I found to that was on the Github site in short I needed to generate & add my id_rsa.pub to my Github account in the SSH keys section. I suspect the Xively guys were making an assumption about the user's familiarity with Github...

Anyway - time to check out thingspeak before I spend any time even thinking about Xively dev - thanks for the pointer.
I ate all the Pi

nommo

Sun May 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Aha! A relevant blog post over on Xively - I am still digesting. Shame it's not a rainy day - I keep having overdue chores pointed out to me ;)
I ate all the Pi

Return to “Networking and servers”