jwilliams991

How to set up FTP on the raspberry pi?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:24 am

How could I set up an FTP server like Mozilla's? ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
Or how would I set up own cloud?
Jake Williams

PalashTaneja

Re: How to set up FTP on the raspberry pi?

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi friend,

Why do you even need to use FTP, SFTP is much better and easier to set up. After a lot of searching on the net I found this site and it is definitely helpful http://thetechmaniacs.wordpress.com/ be sure to check it out. :D

cootcraig

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:15 pm

jwilliams991 wrote:How could I set up an FTP server like Mozilla's? ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
Or how would I set up own cloud?
On occasion I've wanted to run a temporary ftp server from a folder, for a quickie transfer.
I don't remember what I used before, but I just tried this on my RPi and it worked

pip install pyftpdlib
python -m pyftpdlib

See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6811 ... ftp-server

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:46 pm

PalashTaneja wrote:Hi friend,
Why do you even need to use FTP, SFTP is much better and easier to set up. After a lot of searching on the net I found this site and it is definitely helpful http://thetechmaniacs.wordpress.com/ be sure to check it out. :D
AFAICT sftp is already "up and running" on a Pi running Raspbian (as part of the ssh server?) - I use such via a Filezilla sftp client running on my dual-boot Ubuntu/WindowsXP netbook to transfer files on a daily basis (and, also, occasionally "Pi to Pi").
No setup necessary.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

PalashTaneja

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:48 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
PalashTaneja wrote:Hi friend,
AFAICT sftp is already "up and running" on a Pi running Raspbian (as part of the ssh server?) - I use such via a Filezilla sftp client running on my dual-boot Ubuntu/WindowsXP netbook to transfer files on a daily basis (and, also, occasionally "Pi to Pi").
No setup necessary.
Trev.

Yaa I completely agree the post on the site basically is for newbies and includes setting up ssh and connecting.

darkform

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:50 pm

@PalashTaneja - Awsome tip, thanks!

And for those who are trying to set up and config an FTP serverfor your needs (unless you are not going to use it for web hosting)
Just open up Filezilla (or any ftp client) connect to your pi just like any other FTP connection, using yur pi's ip addy, pi username & password "WITH PORT 22" and you are done. So, normal FTP connection only with one difference: PORT: 22

Hint: If port 22 doesn't work, just change the FTP Protocol to SFTP. Thats it, yur in.

RDK

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:34 pm

OK, I understand the SFTP works out-of-the-box on my Raspberry Pi. I've successfully tested it with the FillZilla client!!

However, it appears that sftp uses port 22 which is also the port used for Putty remote access. I may need to be able to use both Putty and sftp at the same time. I've tried that and "first one connected" wins.

So, if I install VSFTPD on my Pi, can it be configured to use a totally different port and that will not conflict with my use of Putty?
Both uses will be over the Internet so I want reasonable security. I will configure my router to take whatever port I decided to use externally and pass it the appropriate internal port.

Will there be any conflicts?

Thanks....RDK

Joe Schmoe

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:45 pm

However, it appears that sftp uses port 22 which is also the port used for Putty remote access. I may need to be able to use both Putty and sftp at the same time. I've tried that and "first one connected" wins.
I do not believe that what you are implying here is true.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

rpdom

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 pm

You can have more than one session running on port 22 at any time. Otherwise it would be impossible to have more than one SSH connection to a machine.

RDK

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:17 pm

You're right and I'm wrong. Sorry....RDK

Return to “Networking and servers”