mpalomer

Setting up a public FTP site?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 am

I want to set my Pi up to host a website like this so I can set certain files on my Pi to be easily accessible over the internet to other people. Can someone direct me to a guide on this, or at least give me a brief outline of the procedure?

tonyhughes

Re: Setting up a public FTP site?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 am

You have asked two questions:

Setting up a website, and setting up a public ftp site - two different things, but they can work together as well.

Is there any reason you want to use ftp in particular? Http downloads are fine, and if you just want a few files up for download, and you already have a website, ftp is usually overkill, and often a security risk (plain ol' ftp transmits cleartext passwords, and you have yet another service exposed as a surface for crackers).

Check out Baked Raspberry Pi Mod - it can install a webserver and a CMS (Drupal or RazorCMS) on your Pi for you.

The next release (due out within about 48 hours from now) will also install Wordpress, and an ftp server too.

nicknml

Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:56 am

The issue with setting up an FTP for public use is that FTP server binds to multiple ports in passive mode which makes it a bit annoying to set up as far as port forwarding and firewall rules. I would use use an http server.

Jb2cool

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:36 am

Do you only want people to download files from your site or would you also like them to put files up on your site?

tonyhughes

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:37 am

Jb2cool wrote:Do you only want people to download files from your site or would you also like them to put files up on your site?
OP mentions "so I can set certain files on my Pi to be easily accessible over the internet to other people"

So hosted on an http server would typically be the best way, unless he has other needs that make the use of an ftp server desirable.

mpalomer

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 pm

tonyhughes wrote:You have asked two questions:

Setting up a website, and setting up a public ftp site - two different things, but they can work together as well.

Is there any reason you want to use ftp in particular? Http downloads are fine, and if you just want a few files up for download, and you already have a website, ftp is usually overkill, and often a security risk (plain ol' ftp transmits cleartext passwords, and you have yet another service exposed as a surface for crackers).

Check out Baked Raspberry Pi Mod - it can install a webserver and a CMS (Drupal or RazorCMS) on your Pi for you.

The next release (due out within about 48 hours from now) will also install Wordpress, and an ftp server too.
Derp. Why didn't it occur to me that this could be done with regular old HTTP? :(

I've been looking at that Baked Pi Mod your'e making and it looks kind of overkill-y for what I'm trying to do. Specifically which packages would I need to make the sort of website I want? I have a little, but not much experience with web programming.

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 am

mpalomer wrote: I've been looking at that Baked Pi Mod your'e making and it looks kind of overkill-y for what I'm trying to do. Specifically which packages would I need to make the sort of website I want? I have a little, but not much experience with web programming.

simplest way to make files avalible is probably to use

Code: Select all

python -m SimpleHTTPServer 

( this works with python version i have ,
$ python -V
Python 2.7.3
)

lot's more info in link below :D

http://www.willdonnelly.net/res/myFTPD.py
lend me your arms, fast as thunderbolts, for a pillow on my journey.
If the environment was a bank, would it be too big to fail
so long; and thanks for all the pi

tonyhughes

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:33 pm

mpalomer wrote:I've been looking at that Baked Pi Mod your'e making and it looks kind of overkill-y for what I'm trying to do. Specifically which packages would I need to make the sort of website I want? I have a little, but not much experience with web programming.
Wordpress or Drupal will both allow you to create almost any type of website you want, but you may need add on modules.

To effectly use either package, you need to explore their website, community, and add-on repositories.

tonyhughes

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Baked Raspberry Pi Mod is really a helper app. It is not overkill if you don't know how to install the packages, or have tried and failed. ;)

For people comfortable doing what BRPI does all by themselves, then yeah it is overkill for them, but they are not the target market for it :)

Return to “Networking and servers”