toffee

Raspberry Pi Zero W hotspot not showing

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am

I am following this tutorial https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -routed.md with my RPi 0w, and am having trouble getting the access point to show up. When I power on the Pi, it turns on but none of my devices can see the AP. When I try to manually connect, my devices say "Access point ____ not found.". Is there anything I can do to try to fix this?

neilgl

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W hotspot not showing

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:56 pm

The WiFi SSID per the tutorial is “NameOfNetwork”. Have you got an Ethernet connection to the pi (10.10.0.2 in the example) or WiFi only ?

toffee

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:00 pm

The part of the tutorial where it sets up Ethernet routing says to skip if you want a standalone network without internet access. Also, I changed the SSID. As hostapd is independent from the routing the access point should still show up.

neilgl

Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:13 am

As a test I followed the (excellent) documentation https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -routed.md, skipping the section "Enable routing and IP masquerading", to run the wireless network in complete isolation.
It worked perfectly. The pi3 is running Raspi OS Buster Lite, fully updated.
I connected to SSID "NameOfNetwork" using my Galaxy S9+ phone - all OK. The pi gave it an ip address of 192.168.4.17.
I then connected an ipad to it - all OK - the pi gave the ipad an ip address of 192.168.4.19
On the pi, this showed 2 devices connected: iw dev wlan0 station dump
So there must be something different in the way I set it up compared to yours?

Return to “Networking and servers”