Joatmon

CUPS and Canon network printers

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello all, this will be my first post to the forum, so I hope it goes well!

I have a Canon MP600R multifunction printer on my network, and I’m trying (unsuccessfully at it turns out) to add it to my RPi so I can use the little guy as an AirPrint server.

I’m not exactly a Linux guru, so there’s the first stumbling block. But here’s what I’ve done so far:
  • Updated the RPi.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
  • Installed CUPS.

sudo apt-get cups
  • Configured CUPS for remote printing and remote admin.

sudo cupsctl –remote-printers.
sudo cupsctl –remote-admin
  • Added the pi user to the lpadmin group.

sudo usermod –aG lpadmin pi
And this is pretty much as far as I’ve managed to get, because if I log in to the server (https://10.0.0.7:631/admin), and click Find New Printers, the printer isn’t detected. Also if I try to do it manually with Add Printer the Discovered Network Printers section is empty, and I don’t really know what to do with the Other Network Printers section.

So what is it that I need to do? Is there a driver I need to get and install, or do I use one of the options from Other Network Printers with a custom URI, or what?

I also found this link on the Ubuntu forum, but it all goes a bit over my head:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1095406

Needless to say, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Joatmon

Re: CUPS and Canon network printers

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 am

Ok, so I've made some progress.

I've managed to set up the printer, it seems that I just had to use the AppSocket/HP JetDirect option, then enter the IP address of my printer and select the driver from a list. I've even managed to print a test page!

Now that I have the printer going (and ensured that I shared it in the CUPS settings), I've moved on to trying to set up the RPi as an AirPrint server - and I'm stuck again!

I found a guide at http://rohankapoor.com/2012/06/configur ... nt-server/, and followed that. So I installed the avahi daemon and all the other packages mentioned, and used the airprint-generate.py created by TJ Fontaine to make a .service file (and then found that I had to make some extra mime files for iOS6, which I did) - and this is where I got stuck again.

As a test I tried to print from the mail app. On my iPad2 (which runs iOS6) I can see the printer being reported by avahi called Airprint CANONMP600R, but if I try to print nothing appears on the jobs list in CUPS.

My wife has an iPad2 also (but this one has iOS5), and along with the printer mentioned above, it lists a printer simply called Canon MP600R (the friendly name I specified when setting up the printer in CUPS), and beneath that it says Home (the location name I specified). This printer actually works! :D Not only that, but it seems to offer more printing options than the other one, such as double-sided printing!

So my stumbling block now is, why do I have two printers, and why does the one that works not show up in iOS6?

I'd really like to print from my iPad! Help!

Joatmon

Re: CUPS and Canon network printers

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 am

Ok, so I got it working all by myself. Go me! :D

The issue, is...ambiguous. I tried printing from Safari instead, and that worked (and offered me double-sided printing). So I ended/restarted mail from the app switcher and that got mail working - but still no double-sided option.

Which means that now I need to know why I have two printers listed in iOS5, and why mail isn't offering double-sided printing. Any suggestions?

Return to “Networking and servers”