Devon Mafia

Another, I cant get windows to Ethernet to PI complication

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I read all i have to do is download dual dhcp server while my pi is attached to my comp with a crossover cable to get its IP and use Putty to connect to PI, dhcp server tells me all sorts of stuff but the IPs it gives me arnt static! for whatever that means they still dont putty into PI, in fact as far as dual server is concerned no IP is static! I cant staticify the PIs IPs...NO KEYBOARD!
so whats a noob to do? :shock:

I have a crossover ethernet cable, Ihave windows XP,
I have a pi with a power supply and monitor,
I have no keyboard for my PI, well i do but its not working, i suspect it needs some kind of drivers!
I have mouse for PI

Spid

Re: Another, I cant get windows to Ethernet to PI complicati

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Have you set up Internet Connection Sharing on the Windoze PC ? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

If so it will set up a basic dhcp Server and the Pi should just pick up the IP Addressing offered by Windows dhcp.

Usually Windoze 192.168.0.1
Pi 192.168.0.2

Subnet 255.255.255.0

The Pi has auto-sensing so either a straight or crossover RJ45 Ethernet Cable should suffice !
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

Devon Mafia

Re: Another, I cant get windows to Ethernet to PI complicati

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 pm

ah yeah well if any n00b reads this theres basicly a realy good dhcp thing out there that just gives your pi its ip and then you just log in with putty, its called antamedia dhcp and its free.

just turn on your pi ONCE it is set up and boom your away...or just stack at shell cos ure a n000b HA!

Return to “Networking and servers”